Wiki Posts
Search

My Flyertalk showing all threads since 3/1/10

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
Not remotely close to what I said.
Then I misunderstood your post. What are you trying to say?
Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by linsj
Also, when I clear cookies or log out, sometimes no threads are bolded, sometimes all of them back to forever are.
Clearing cookies has no effect on whether threads are marked read anymore because the new system actually logs when you read the specific thread in the database rather than relying on a timestamp in a cookie. When you are logged out of course the display is going to be different than when you are logged in since the tracking is based on "you" rather than your computer. I believe this was the same in the old system as well.

Originally Posted by GoingAway
Let me be the first to point out that I don't know sbm12, have no reason to trust sbm12 and think poorly of this poster's attitude in every post that I've seen in this and related threads.
You don't have to believe me, but what I've posted is true. I've got quite a history here on FT - over 9 years now - and I think you'd struggle to find someone who knows me in real life of the scores of FTers I've met in that time who wouldn't vouch for the likelihood that I'm telling the truth.

ETA: Also, I have no horse in this race and no good reason to lie. What good would that do me? Is IB going to double my moderator compensation from $0 to $0??

Of course, the fact that folks don't want to believe that there was any communication because it means there is more reason to hate IB detracts from a reasonable view of this, but that's not something I can deal with.

Last edited by sbm12; Mar 21, 2010 at 4:36 pm
Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by sbm12
I haven't seen this bug crop up at all; I think it might be a user error. When you are in a forum there are two sets of menus. The top set with the "Quick Links" drop down will mark all forums read. The "Thread Tools" link on the row below will only mark the current forum read. I'm guessing you clicked on the wrong one. Simple enough mistake to make.
I know all that Because it's a feature I hardly ever use, plus one that could mess up MyFT when I only want to mark 1 forum as read, I was super careful to check on "mark this forum read" versus the top set of options that will mark all forums read.

But, I'll concede to the possibility of making a mistake.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
I think its cr@p that IB is nowhere to be seen when stuff like this happens and unless that changes, the decline I've seen in the quality of this site will continue. They may get their clicks, but the content will be cr@p
^
Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:48 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I wonder if there is a way for the vBulletin bulletin board software that powers FlyerTalk to allow FlyerTalk members to choose which way threads should be marked as read. This way, FlyerTalk members who prefer the old way can choose that method, while those that prefer the new way can stay with this method.

If not, I wonder if the staff at vBulletin would consider installing such a “button” or “switch,” if that were possible...
When you are logged out of course the display is going to be different than when you are logged in since the tracking is based on "you" rather than your computer.
This is probably a good way of describing the change.

It used to frustrate me when I was distracted from FlyerTalk for some reason while logged in, only to find out that my FlyerTalk session expired. I then had to log back in when I had the chance — which could be as much as a day or two later, especially if I am traveling — and remember which threads I did not completely read even though they were already marked as read, as well as where to pick up where I left off. That does not happen to me anymore.

That is my own personal experience, anyway — and not as a FlyerTalk moderator, but rather as a member.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Canarsie
I wonder if there is a way for the vBulletin bulletin board software that powers FlyerTalk to allow FlyerTalk members to choose which way threads should be marked as read. This way, FlyerTalk members who prefer the old way can choose that method, while those that prefer the new way can stay with this method.
I asked as much in post 116. If there is a way for this to be made possible, I would be happy.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I know all that Because it's a feature I hardly ever use, plus one that could mess up MyFT when I only want to mark 1 forum as read, I was super careful to check on "mark this forum read" versus the top set of options that will mark all forums read.

But, I'll concede to the possibility of making a mistake.
You may not have made a mistake after all, and there are other threads there that discuss similar issues...
Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by linsj
I do not subscribe to threads or utilize My FT. I open certain forums--not always the same ones.

Like about the former way: I used to see threads bolded that were new/revised since the last time I logged in.

Do not like about the former way: Nothing

Like about the new way: Nothing

Do not like about the new way: Threads are bolded to 3 days ago (the time frame has been changing since this new "improvement" was implemented), not to when I last logged in, so I have to check log-in time to know when to quit looking at bolded threads. Also, when I clear cookies or log out, sometimes no threads are bolded, sometimes all of them back to forever are. Marking forums as read resets my log-in time--and why should I have to mark them as read? That's ridiculous.

Bottom line: I HATE this change.
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I subscribe to only ONE thread on all of FT (Good Deal Premium Fares) and that's so I can get the e-mail with the postings. Otherwise, I just browse the forums that I want, focusing on the bolded threads, which are ones that have been modified since my last visit (even if it wasn't precise). Now it seems I have to guess when I'm getting to threads that have not changed since my last visit.

I also make copious use of the "Go to First New Post" button next to a thread title, and it seems like this is now taking me to posts from several days ago in some cases.

I think I do not like this change either.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I also make copious use of the "Go to First New Post" button next to a thread title, and it seems like this is now taking me to posts from several days ago in some cases.
That feature has been working just fine for me with no error.

I do not understand why it is not working for you. Perhaps someone with more technical knowledge than I can address this issue...
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:22 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I subscribe to only ONE thread on all of FT (Good Deal Premium Fares) and that's so I can get the e-mail with the postings. Otherwise, I just browse the forums that I want, focusing on the bolded threads, which are ones that have been modified since my last visit (even if it wasn't precise). Now it seems I have to guess when I'm getting to threads that have not changed since my last visit.
I think I do not like this change either.
Finally, someone else who peruses FT like I do! Thanks for confirming my experience. The comments on how people like this change haven't made any sense to me since I obviously don't use FT the same way.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:56 am

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
No Need

ETA: Also, I have no horse in this race and no good reason to lie. What good would that do me? Is IB going to double my moderator compensation from $0 to $0??
Hi SBM

There is absolutely no need for you to defend yourself

I'm sure many of us are happy for your input much of the time

Stay with it & ignore foolishness
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:01 am

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Me Too

Just for the record I don't like the changes either

But then again the older I get the less I like change
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:12 am

Programs: US CP, HH DIA, IC AMB
changes

Originally Posted by CHIC SILBER
Just for the record I don't like the changes either

But then again the older I get the less I like change
+1^^
Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:37 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
The new way works fine for me.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:29 pm

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
How do you get down to watching ONE thread when all those other threads are showing bolded, particularly the ones you never and have no intention of ever visiting?
I can keep the thread open and just reload the page, I can click on the link in the email notification, I could search for the thread in question, I could remember which forum it is in.... lots of ways.

To give a hard example: I've just cleaned a nasty malware from my home PC. I've been watching the thread in Omni about this trojan very closely, both before and after I got rid of it. I was able to check the thread 20 times a day and read every new posting shortly after it was made.

Previously, if I did that I would have messed up my last-read markers for ALL of FT. Previously, I had to devote one or two unbroken hours to read all of the parts of Flyertalk that I read in one sitting each day - I couldn't break it up and read bits in smaller time chunks. Now I can. I also used to sometimes suffer from Flyertalk resetting my "last visited" if I was away from the computer for 10 minutes.

To get the old behaviour back is simple: after you're read what you're going to, go to the main Forums page, go to the bottom and click "Mark Forums Read" on the dark blue bar underneath the forums. Sets everything to read, just like the old way did. Takes about 10 seconds.

Flyertalk: please keep this change!

Audrey

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.