Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2010, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I just tried to mark the forum I was in as "read" and it marked all of them
It happened to me, too.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 8:48 am

Why is it that they think this more accurate version of leaving all unread threads bold an improvement? I thought that finding ways for the viewer to have to work less, not more, to make their visit here enjoyable would be the definition of improvement.

I find it annoying that I now have to either go to the main page and mark everything as read each time I come here, or have to pay attention to the time stamp of the last post as I scroll down the forum now.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by DanJ
Why is it that they think this more accurate version of leaving all unread threads bold an improvement?
You should ask one of the moderators who supposedly took part in a focus group with IB on this issue. Maybe they can tell you.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
You should ask one of the moderators who supposedly took part in a focus group with IB on this issue. Maybe they can tell you.
Not the mods, just that one guy, I think it's sbm12 who called posters here liars and intimated he/she was involved with testing of some sort. According to Randy, mods were told at roll-out, not before and were not involved in any testing.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
You have absolutely no clue concerning my use of Flyertalk and read pages. Yes I do want to see the activity (including me) if it is more recent. In the music thread, I want to know who last posted. Many of us go back and edit with comments that are meaningful to the rest in the thread ie: personal experiences. Counter intuitive to you - please don't (as you are implying) say that I am wrong.
I am not trying to suggest you are wrong; I am simply trying to understand what your usage is. If anyone other than you has posted in the thread you'll see it on the list. If there is a thread where new content is generated by edits to existing posts rather than adding new posts to the thread I can see how there might be problems. But I also don't really understand why folks would use the system that way. When the system is used in a manner which it is not designed for strange things happen. Just MHO.
Speak up then! Were you consulted? What did you tell them?
Was I informed prior to it going live? Yes. Did I have feedback? Yes. Did it play out exactly as I predicted? Yes.

But I also have now used the new system for a few days and am quite happy with the change. Threads are marked as read when I read them on my laptop. They are marked read when I read them on my BB. They are marked read when I read them on my desktop. They are marked as read when I read them on a kiosk, from an internet cafe, in an airport lounge or at a client site. Most significantly, all of these systems are in sync. In the end this saves me a TON of time figuring out what I have or have not read yet if I switch between one of the access methods which I do quite frequently.

And how is it that moderators somehow speak for the FT population? I don't remember electing you.
I'll try to remember that next time someone suggests that any member - moderator, TB or other - actually has a vote on how the site is operated.

Originally Posted by GoingAway
Not the mods, just that one guy, I think it's sbm12 who called posters here liars and intimated he/she was involved with testing of some sort. According to Randy, mods were told at roll-out, not before and were not involved in any testing.
No. I said that there was discussion and notification of some members before it went live. I never said there was testing by FT members or and of the other bits you're trying to put in my mouth (on my keyboard??). So, yes, people claiming that no one knew before this happened are making a false claim. Whether they are doing so out of ignorance or because they simply do not want to believe that such happened is something I don't know, but I am more than happy to continue to share the facts behind what happened.

And, at the risk of getting in trouble for sharing more of the discussion that occurred in the thread that myself and other moderators participated in, Randy's post in the other thread was an incomplete version of history. Yes, one moderator expressed the concerns that Randy shared. Others were very much in favor of making the change and still others were reporting back bugs and community feedback as the change happened and members started to notice.

dhammer53 notes up thread that just because a few people like it doesn't make it right. The same goes the other direction. Just because a few people hate it doesn't make it wrong. More people are always going to complain about something they don't like than are going to champion a change that they do like. That's just the way of the world. The fact that there are really only a handful of people complaining about this change while the rest of FT has moved on and adapted to the change says something, IMO.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by sbm12
No. I said that there was discussion and notification of some members before it went live. I never said there was testing by FT members or and of the other bits you're trying to put in my mouth (on my keyboard??). So, yes, people claiming that no one knew before this happened are making a false claim. Whether they are doing so out of ignorance or because they simply do not want to believe that such happened is something I don't know, but I am more than happy to continue to share the facts behind what happened.
Now we're ignorant ... joy
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
dhammer53 notes up thread that just because a few people like it doesn't make it right. The same goes the other direction. Just because a few people hate it doesn't make it wrong. More people are always going to complain about something they don't like than are going to champion a change that they do like. That's just the way of the world. The fact that there are really only a handful of people complaining about this change while the rest of FT has moved on and adapted to the change says something, IMO.
If you understand anything about statistical analysis, the paragraph I quoted proves absolutely nothing. The adaptees probably don't care one way or the other so they are a different sample.

It is nice that you consider those who don't care to be your target market.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Was I informed prior to it going live? Yes. Did I have feedback? Yes. Did it play out exactly as I predicted? Yes.
What was your feedback? Did IB listen?
Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
The repeated implications that no one was consulted is absolutely and unequivocally false. Continuing to state such is somewhere between willful ignorance and lying. And the suggestion that this was done to generate more hits is somewhat ludicrous. I'd love to hear an explanaation for how that would work. I suppose that perhaps having an accurate and functional means for marking threads as read when they actually are such could make the site a bit more "sticky" for users and increase long-term loyalty, but that's a stretch.
Uh, don't you think this is a bit harsh? I read the admins posts as well as Randy's can came to the conclusion this was a business decision made by IB.

Why wouldn't it generate more hits? If I am subscribed to a thread that I don't necessarily read every time someone posts to it I have to click on it to make it disappear from MyFlyertalk. Multiply that by all the members and hits will go up.

If you were consulted, was it to test or to give your opinion? My money says to test

All that said, I still like the change, though I did not like the fact that yesterday when I marked a forum read, it marked them ALL read. But it did get rid of stuff in MyFT

I'd like to see that fixed.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
If you understand anything about statistical analysis, the paragraph I quoted proves absolutely nothing. The adaptees probably don't care one way or the other so they are a different sample.

It is nice that you consider those who don't care to be your target market.
And there's the group that just think FT is acting flaky again and don't know a change has been made.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 1:35 pm

But I also have now used the new system for a few days and am quite happy with the change. Threads are marked as read when I read them on my laptop. They are marked read when I read them on my BB. They are marked read when I read them on my desktop. They are marked as read when I read them on a kiosk, from an internet cafe, in an airport lounge or at a client site. Most significantly, all of these systems are in sync. In the end this saves me a TON of time figuring out what I have or have not read yet if I switch between one of the access methods which I do quite frequently.
Great for you. Maybe in the next revision, we can have a check box in our settings to say whether we prefer the new way or the old way. I admit I haven't read the tech issues board over the years. Has there been a groundswell of people saying they couldn't keep track of where they were from one device to the next?
Old Mar 20, 2010, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13612815-post209.html

and

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13614009-post210.html

Back to back posts hours apart that you know make me search for the thread. Absolutely horrible marketing maneuver from this end user viewpoint.

WHO REQUESTED THIS CHANGE?
Old Mar 20, 2010, 2:02 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
Strange how an accurate system is frustrating so many folks.
Saying that it is more accurate is inaccurate. The bolding is telling me something that I don't want to know, and the way that it was done previously told me what I wanted to know.

The "new system" makes it seem that Flyertalk is broken. Since It took me a while to search through "Technical Issues" and find this thread, it has been a frustrating two weeks.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.

dhammer53 notes up thread that just because a few people like it doesn't make it right. The same goes the other direction. Just because a few people hate it doesn't make it wrong.
sbm, If you were to count the likes vs dislikes, I think you'd see a serious majority disliking the change; vs a serious minority liking the change.

dhammer53
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:02 pm

I hate this new feature. Can we have a poll please!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.