My Flyertalk showing all threads since 3/1/10

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Flyertalk showing all threads since 3/1/10

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
I tried logging out, then logging back in to fix the problem last night, but it didn't help.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA plus
Wirelessly posted (goingaway\'s phone: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Fyi - The mobile 'my flyertalk' seems to be working
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:35 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
phuglied for me as well and it looks like everything i see is "unread"/new posts going back to march 1st.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 1:22 pm

Call me a whiner, but this is really annoying. It's been doing this for almost 24 hours.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 1:55 pm

I let Tech know.

thanks
Old Mar 12, 2010, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA plus
Wirelessly posted (goingaway\'s phone: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Originally Posted by IBsteph
I let Tech know.

thanks
May I ask if you let them know this morning, and are responding to the previous posters statement or if you just notified tech of this issue. If the latter, who/how can we tap IB without bothering HOM folks to look at threads like this so they are aware of new issues in a timely manner? Thanks
Old Mar 12, 2010, 2:26 pm

I am sorry for my confusing post. Tech will be posting in here shortly with the explanation as to why this is happening and how you can fix it.

Thanks!
Old Mar 12, 2010, 3:09 pm

I too am sorry for the confusion.

We made a change to the way the forum figures out which threads you're read and which you haven't. The way it was previously set was the least accurate method, and doesn't provide the best user experience. The method we're using now is extremely accurate.

Obviously, when the change is first made, the forum doesn't know which you've read and which you haven't. It apparently makes the assumption that you haven't read any threads for a specific period of time.

This side effect was not expected by us, and we are sorry for the inconvenience. Had we anticipated this, we would have posted an announcement and looked for ways to mitigate against it before making the change. We did notify the moderation staff that we were going to make the change, but even they were taken by surprise when this unexpected result occurred (IBsteph included, hence the confusion).

This change was made because we believe it should offer a better user experience. If we had expected a change in functionallity that was this drastic, we would have not made it without much more warning. Once again, we are terribly sorry for the inconvenience.

On the front page, there is a button that says "Mark Forums Read" that will mark everything read. From this point on, the read / unread status of every thread should be completely accurate. This can also be done on a per-forum basis by going to the forum homepage and clicking on the forum icon.

Since this change had such drastic results, we are still considering rolling back. We are working with the moderation staff to come up with the best solution.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 4:30 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by IB-Dick

We made a change to the way the forum figures out which threads you're read and which you haven't. The way it was previously set was the least accurate method, and doesn't provide the best user experience. The method we're using now is extremely accurate.

Obviously, when the change is first made, the forum doesn't know which you've read and which you haven't. It apparently makes the assumption that you haven't read any threads for a specific period of time.

This side effect was not expected by us, and we are sorry for the inconvenience. Had we anticipated this, we would have posted an announcement and looked for ways to mitigate against it before making the change. We did notify the moderation staff that we were going to make the change, but even they were taken by surprise when this unexpected result occurred (IBsteph included, hence the confusion).

This change was made because we believe it should offer a better user experience. If we had expected a change in functionallity that was this drastic, we would have not made it without much more warning. Once again, we are terribly sorry for the inconvenience.

On the front page, there is a button that says "Mark Forums Read" that will mark everything read. From this point on, the read / unread status of every thread should be completely accurate. This can also be done on a per-forum basis by going to the forum homepage and clicking on the forum icon.

Since this change had such drastic results, we are still considering rolling back. We are working with the moderation staff to come up with the best solution.
thanks for the update but my question is.....

if you "roll back", won't that create the problem "in reverse"? it seems to be working now as i always "mark all forums read" prior to signing out so in my several log-ins since this morning, things seem to be back to normal (but then again, it's raining out and i may be having a bald moment and missing something )
Old Mar 12, 2010, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP

I don't see it. Plus my music association thread does not show. Threads that I have not posted to in a while do. I posted to music less than an hour ago.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very frustrating. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Nothing actually since I should never have had to do anything.

Just tell me how to make threads I post to show in My Flyer Talk because it is hit and miss at this point.

eg: This thread does not show up.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 5:23 pm

Programs: ADL, ACLU, NRA, HRC, NCLR, WBCA
I did not see this mythical button, so I used the link in the tech post. This is a test.

AND.... this thread does NOT show up in MyFlyertalk.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So nice to provide an enhancement that nobody knows is coming and destroy old functionality.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 5:32 pm

Programs: ADL, ACLU, NRA, HRC, NCLR, WBCA
Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
So nice to provide an enhancement that nobody knows is coming and destroy old functionality.
LMAO! Yeah.

Lots of people have test labs where they check this sort of thing before deploying.... Just sayin'
Old Mar 12, 2010, 5:43 pm

Here's hoping it works as planned.

If you are correct that the new method is extremely accurate, it will be worth having spent a day being annoyed. The old settings were frustrating in that they were not always dependable. At times, recently viewed threads would remain on the list longer than they should have, yet at other times, threads on the list would disappear before I had read all of them.

On the front page, there is a button that says "Mark Forums Read" that will mark everything read. From this point on, the read / unread status of every thread should be completely accurate.
For those who are slow (like me), the "front page" refers to the "Forum Home" page. The link can be found in the drop down menu under "Forums". The "Mark Forums Read" button is near the bottom of the Forum Home page.

If it truly is more accurate, I certainly hope there will not be a roll back. If even I can figure out how to mark forums read, other members should have no problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.