Wiki Posts
Search

My Flyertalk showing all threads since 3/1/10

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by RichMSN
About 5 months ago, I unsubscribed from Talkboard Topics and haven't been by since.

I actually thought the group was useful for a few years, but now I'm convinced that anything of importance will be done by without consulting anyone. Typical "ready, fire, aim, defend at all costs" mentality it's just easier to ignore.
Unlike you, I apparently never learn. Though I agree with you 100%.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Unlike you, I apparently never learn. Though I agree with you 100%.
I did just go and read your thread, though, mainly because you started it. Was surprised to see me quoted in the thread.

My comment there was naive. They aren't interested in feedback on the board and they don't care what we think about changes and aren't going to consult us. And in that regard, I don't think much has really changed since the transition.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
But MyFlyerTalk is not about threads I have read but threads I have subscribed to. I want to see the most recent activity on those threads, including my own.
And when there is new activity they show up. Do I understand correctly that you want to see the "activity" on those threads even if there isn't any since the last time you were there? That is counter-intuitive to me. Particularly as the number of subscribed threads increases I find it useful only to have the ones with new information on my dashboard.
Originally Posted by linsj
HELP! How do I get threads in boldface going back only to when I lost logged in? I'm now getting them for half a day before my last login. I don't subscribe to My FlyerTalk; I open forums I'm interested in and only want boldfaced threads going back to my last login--like it used to be. I'm more annoyed every time I log in.
It isn't going to happen. If you haven't actually read the threads then they aren't going to be marked as read. Strange how an accurate system is frustrating so many folks.
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Does anyone really think that IB is going to consult with anyone before making wholesale changes that will get them more hits?
The repeated implications that no one was consulted is absolutely and unequivocally false. Continuing to state such is somewhere between willful ignorance and lying. And the suggestion that this was done to generate more hits is somewhat ludicrous. I'd love to hear an explanaation for how that would work. I suppose that perhaps having an accurate and functional means for marking threads as read when they actually are such could make the site a bit more "sticky" for users and increase long-term loyalty, but that's a stretch.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
The repeated implications that no one was consulted is absolutely and unequivocally false. Continuing to state such is somewhere between willful ignorance and lying.
Speak up then! Were you consulted? What did you tell them?

And how is it that moderators somehow speak for the FT population? I don't remember electing you.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
And when there is new activity they show up. Do I understand correctly that you want to see the "activity" on those threads even if there isn't any since the last time you were there? That is counter-intuitive to me. Particularly as the number of subscribed threads increases I find it useful only to have the ones with new information on my dashboard.
You have absolutely no clue concerning my use of Flyertalk and read pages. Yes I do want to see the activity (including me) if it is more recent. In the music thread, I want to know who last posted. Many of us go back and edit with comments that are meaningful to the rest in the thread ie: personal experiences. Counter intuitive to you - please don't (as you are implying) say that I am wrong.

It's an "I forgot mention" between friends but now I have to search where "I forgot to mention."
Old Mar 17, 2010, 8:43 pm

You have absolutely no clue concerning my use of Flyertalk and read pages. Yes I do want to see the activity (including me) if it is more recent. In the music thread, I want to know who last posted. Many of us go back and edit with comments that are meaningful to the rest in the thread ie: personal experiences. Counter intuitive to you - please don't (as you are implying) say that I am wrong.

It's an "I forgot mention" between friends but now I have to search where "I forgot to mention."
^

Yet another example of the problem here. If it is true that IB "consulted" with our moderators, then apparently IB got some incomplete advice. I actually really hope that IB didn't communicate with the moderators on this.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA plus
I may be alone here, but the tone of your post is offensive to me. Have you actually read this thread? If you had, you would "understand correctly" already ... there are examples of the issues being experienced with this "enhancement", along with the various issues people are experiencing.

It looks to the community at this point in time as though no one from the community was involved -- sorry that you think its "willful ignorance and lying" but we. the community, have been given no reason to think otherwise and your post does NOTHING to change that.

If you were indeed involved as you seem to want us to believe, please share the manner in which it occurred and what your input was apparently on our behalf. AND if you were involved, I would appreciate it if you would step back and actually read this thread in its entirety so you understand other viewpoints for future consideration should you again be asked to make such assessments in future.

LAST - If indeed mods were tapped to do the review and make this decision on behalf of the FT community, I would have concerns with that if regular users were not also involved. I appreciate the time and effort that goes into moderation, but in no way would want mods as a group representing me regarding FT user experience. Mod usage patterns and habits differ greatly from other non-mod users.

It isn't going to happen. If you haven't actually read the threads then they aren't going to be marked as read. Strange how an accurate system is frustrating so many folks.

The repeated implications that no one was consulted is absolutely and unequivocally false. Continuing to state such is somewhere between willful ignorance and lying. And the suggestion that this was done to generate more hits is somewhat ludicrous. I'd love to hear an explanaation for how that would work. I suppose that perhaps having an accurate and functional means for marking threads as read when they actually are such could make the site a bit more "sticky" for users and increase long-term loyalty, but that's a stretch.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by GoingAway
LAST - If indeed mods were tapped to do the review and make this decision on behalf of the FT community, I would have concerns with that if regular users were not also involved. I appreciate the time and effort that goes into moderation, but in no way would want mods as a group representing me regarding FT user experience. Mod usage patterns and habits differ greatly from other non-mod users.
Hear, hear.^
Old Mar 17, 2010, 9:08 pm

Amen!

You might want to visit the Talkboard Topics forum where I have also brought this up. Lots of folks are trying to blow me off over there, but this is an important issue. Communication between the FT population and IB currently sucks. Having moderators talking to them as the only line of communication is obviously unacceptable (as evidenced by this very thread).
Old Mar 18, 2010, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Strange how an accurate system is frustrating so many folks.
Not strange. 'So many folks' have a point. @:-)
You have absolutely no clue concerning my use of Flyertalk and read pages. Yes I do want to see the activity (including me) if it is more recent.
Exactly.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
The repeated implications that no one was consulted is absolutely and unequivocally false. Continuing to state such is somewhere between willful ignorance and lying.

If you were indeed involved as you seem to want us to believe, please share the manner in which it occurred and what your input was apparently on our behalf. AND if you were involved, I would appreciate it if you would step back and actually read this thread in its entirety so you understand other viewpoints for future consideration should you again be asked to make such assessments in future.

Agree 100%.

EDIT: Randy Peteren explains in a thread in the TalkBoard Topics forum how IB consulted the Mods before this latest "enhancement":

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13599405-post32.html

Last edited by blairvanhorn; Mar 18, 2010 at 9:25 am Reason: Added information.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Don't know if this is related, but whenever I login to FT, it's showing all threads as unread - dates back to March 10 or somewhere thereof. It's only clicked on a link that it's not bolded.

Previously, FT shows the unread threads since the last time I logged in, but now it's showing everything from March 10. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by nov11
Any ideas? [/
If I correctly understand your concerns, reading this thread should tell you what you need to know to rectify the situation.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
If I correctly understand your concerns, reading this thread should tell you what you need to know to rectify the situation.
OK. Found it. Thanks!
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I just tried to mark the forum I was in as "read" and it marked all of them

I'm am 100% certain I selected the current forum I was in and not all of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.