My Flyertalk showing all threads since 3/1/10

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Flyertalk showing all threads since 3/1/10

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2010, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPRich
I'm also not a fan of this change. Perhaps I'm missing something, but in the past it appeared to recognize when I last visited a forum and, next time, only showed threads with new posts since that date/time. Regardless of whether I read them or not.

Now, it seems to show all threads with new posts since I read the thread. So if I never read the thread, it's always bolded.

In the past, if I wasn't interested in a thread, it would stop appearing when posting to it stopped. Now it appears that it will remain as bold forever.

To get back to the old treatment, I have to actively "Mark this Forum Read" every time before exiting.

I'd very, very much like to have the old option back. I prefer not to have to actively look at the title and disregard a thread over and over, forever. Or go into it just to make it go away. Or take an action that I never had to before...
What he said.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:43 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I actually like the change thus far...

All one needs to do is to choose List Subscriptions under the Subscribed Threads area on the left at the MyFlyerTalk area to see all of the read and unread threads subscribed under MyFlyerTalk, listed in the same chronological order as in the old way of viewing MyFlyerTalk. No massive amount of searching should be necessary.

I actually happen to like the change, as I no longer need to read every unread thread under MyFlyerTalk. The unread threads remain unread until I am ready to read them. This means I can log in more often under shorter periods of time because I no longer have to be concerned about missing anything I have not yet read before losing it upon logging out and having to backtrack the next time I log in...
Old Mar 15, 2010, 2:45 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
Originally Posted by IB-Dick
This side effect was not expected by us, and we are sorry for the inconvenience. Had we anticipated this, we would have posted an announcement and looked for ways to mitigate against it before making the change. We did notify the moderation staff that we were going to make the change, but even they were taken by surprise when this unexpected result occurred (IBsteph included, hence the confusion).
A 'test environment' and 'testing' might have helped anticipate this side effect. 'Testing' is the latest fad in software development, and it's catching on like wildfire. You guys really should try it some time.

It's like Web 2.0 all over again, man.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
I'd very, very much like to have the old option back. I prefer not to have to actively look at the title and disregard a thread over and over, forever. Or go into it just to make it go away. Or take an action that I never had to before.
Exactly!
Old Mar 15, 2010, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
It really is a mess.

Seems that the solution is to always press the Show all subscribed threads. Then it shows them all.

Last edited by holtju2; Mar 15, 2010 at 5:18 am
Old Mar 15, 2010, 5:48 am

I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE the new "Forum/Post Read" mis-feature.

I care only about what's been posted since the last time I was on. And I don't want to jump through hoops to tell the forum software that I wasn't interested enough in a thread to open it in the first place.

CHANGE IT BACK.

I've been spending a lot less time on FT as it is. I really don't need another reason to drop off entirely.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
I'm also not a fan of this change. Perhaps I'm missing something, but in the past it appeared to recognize when I last visited a forum and, next time, only showed threads with new posts since that date/time. Regardless of whether I read them or not.

Now, it seems to show all threads with new posts since I read the thread. So if I never read the thread, it's always bolded.

In the past, if I wasn't interested in a thread, it would stop appearing when posting to it stopped. Now it appears that it will remain as bold forever.

To get back to the old treatment, I have to actively "Mark this Forum Read" every time before exiting.

I'd very, very much like to have the old option back. I prefer not to have to actively look at the title and disregard a thread over and over, forever. Or go into it just to make it go away. Or take an action that I never had to before.
Agree. I find this "enhancement" very annoying.

By the way, did I miss the user poll/survey in which it was discovered the need/demand for this "enhancement"?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

And I disagree with all the haters up thread. I LOVE the change. I LOVE that when I use a different computer the threads I've already read are marked as such. I LOVE that when I only read half the threads in any particular forum the others are still noted as unread so I can come back to them later. I LOVE that after I read a subscribed htread from the My FT page it disappears rather than hanging out for a couple more hours.

Yes, the behavior is different than it was. But it is a much better approximation of reality in terms of read/unread IMO.

Does it really bother you that a thread on the bottom half of a forum page is bold? Odds are it won't even be displayed next time you're back in that forum since it will have scrolled off the bottom. Who cares that it is flagged as unread? After all, you haven't actually read it. Isn't that more accurate?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:07 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
The post counters seem to work erratically also. The counter misses about 1/3 of my posts.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
The post counters seem to work erratically also. The counter misses about 1/3 of my posts.
That hasn't changed at all.Many of yout posts are in OMNI and OMNI/PR. Those don't count against your post count stats.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
thanks for the update but my question is.....

if you "roll back", won't that create the problem "in reverse"? it seems to be working now as i always "mark all forums read" prior to signing out so in my several log-ins since this morning, things seem to be back to normal (but then again, it's raining out and i may be having a bald moment and missing something )
No. If we were to roll back, everything would go back to the way it was before, although it doesn't appear that we will be rolling back.

Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
Very frustrating. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Nothing actually since I should never have had to do anything.

Just tell me how to make threads I post to show in My Flyer Talk because it is hit and miss at this point.

eg: This thread does not show up.
Threads in which you were the last person to reply in will not show us as unread, because you've read them. When someone replies after you, it will show up as unread, because you haven't read it.

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
The old method assumed you read a thread, even when you didn't. If you visited any forum on FT, at some unknown time later after no activity, all the threads that had new posts would show up as read, even if you didn't read them. Some people grew to like that behavior.

I suspect the new behavior is that threads that haven't been read remain unread, no matter what, unless you mark the forum as read. (That button, by the way, is under the Forum Tools button.).

Anyway, that's my guess.

-David
This is correct.

If you have read a thread, it will be marked as read. If you haven't read it, it will me marked as unread. Previously, there was no mechanism for this; so the forum made assumptions based on your activity. The problem with that is if you show up to the forum and read one thread, ALL threads are marked as unread, regardless of if you've actually read them or not.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Big problem/annoyance (at least to me): I had to clear cookies/caches for another problem. When I opened FT and signed in again, the "mark forums read" was still gone, so I had to go back to the front page and click it again. AGGHHH. This is NOT an improvement.

Last edited by linsj; Mar 16, 2010 at 3:28 am
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:32 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Let’s go one step further for another benefit which I tested.

I purposely read one page of a multiple-page subscribed thread but not the last page. The thread picks up on the page where I left off the next time I log onto FlyerTalk and is still marked as unread.

In other words, unless you click on the last page of a multiple-page subscribed thread, that thread will still appear in bold type under MyFlyerTalk.

I am sold. I hope this change remains intact.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by IB-Dick
No. If we were to roll back, everything would go back to the way it was before, although it doesn't appear that we will be rolling back.
Dick, Just because a few posters like the change, doesn't make it a good one (as you've been reading). I'm sad to say that IB sounds like the airlines when they make an enhancement. Sort of like a parent scolding to a child. The parent is always right.

Well, as a parent, I can tell you that I've been wrong once or twice over the years. I admit when I'm wrong. This change has hit a nerve with a majority of posters. Something for you to think about.

Grassroots campaign anyone (a la Delta)?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I like the change. I haven't logged in for over a week and didn't do so because I didn't want to spend lots of time catching up with all my subscribed threads in MyFlyertalk.

This is great for those of us who only want to check in for a couple of items.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.