My Flyertalk showing all threads since 3/1/10

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Flyertalk showing all threads since 3/1/10

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Please go back to the old way. Yesterday, I clicked on the "mark forums read," and it worked fine this morning. Then when I logged in this afternoon, threads going back two days were still bolded even though I was in those forums this morning. I didn't notice it until I had looked at three forums. So I clicked on the "mark forums read" again, and the system reset my last visited time to the minute I clicked. The rest of the forums show no bolded theads because the system assumed I had seen them all before clicking "mark forums read." It is now impossible to read FT without major inconveniences that weren't here before the so-called enhancements. Will you please leave things that work alone?!
Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Did the TalkBoard sign off on this change?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by tom911
Oh that's cute. You think the TB actually has power in this kind of situation? Classic!
Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I do remember Randy Petersen posting that he consults them. Are you saying that the FT technical team doesn't interface with the TalkBoard? I don't know myself as very little of what they do appears in the public forum.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA plus
I'm finally able to sum up what is frustrating for me about the change ... I have a lot of threads I'm subscribed to for reference, but which I don't visit everytime there is an update. I know that they're there and it tells me when something new is posted.

With this "enhancement", I am forced to visit each of those threads just to get them to drop off My FT list and if lots of people are posting to one of them, there can be multiple unneeded visits going on. An example of this is the UA web issues thread. I know it's there, I'm interested in what is being posted, but I have no need of reading every post to the thread. I look at it when I feel like it but now I HAVE to visit it, or go to the UA forum and click the forum as read, or click all forums as read, even if they aren't just to reset the dang list.

I likely can grow accustomed to this new method, but I won't ever like it.

I really wish that IB would have a user experience group with real users, beyond the moderators, and make use of those folks before rolling "enhancements" out to us or coming up "ideas" they think might be beneficial but which they really don't understand. It is glaringly obvious that IB continues to lack understanding of Flyertalk, the community and how this board is used by its members.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:17 pm

Are you saying that the FT technical team doesn't interface with the TalkBoard?
That's exactly what I'm saying.

A great question: who does the FT technical team consult with?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by GoingAway
I'm finally able to sum up what is frustrating for me about the change ... I have a lot of threads I'm subscribed to for reference, but which I don't visit everytime there is an update. I know that they're there and it tells me when something new is posted.

With this "enhancement", I am forced to visit each of those threads just to get them to drop off My FT list and if lots of people are posting to one of them, there can be multiple unneeded visits going on. An example of this is the UA web issues thread. I know it's there, I'm interested in what is being posted, but I have no need of reading every post to the thread. I look at it when I feel like it but now I HAVE to visit it, or go to the UA forum and click the forum as read, or click all forums as read, even if they aren't just to reset the dang list.

I likely can grow accustomed to this new method, but I won't ever like it.

I really wish that IB would have a user experience group with real users, beyond the moderators, and make use of those folks before rolling "enhancements" out to us or coming up "ideas" they think might be beneficial but which they really don't understand. It is glaringly obvious that IB continues to lack understanding of Flyertalk, the community and how this board is used by its members.
I'm opposite to you since I never mark threads unread. If I do read it now it drops off my list. I don't want it do that because I may be researching the last post that I read so I can respond to it but I've already left to visit another thread. This thing called tabbed browsing. List subscriptions does seem to work but it seems as though IB changed functionality for all parties. I liked knowing whether I had visited a thread in the last 5 minutes. It shouldn't be that hard to provide and option for one or the other. It's not as though IB is writing a real time reservation system. The mind shudders.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:43 pm

No and they woudn't have been asked. This isn't within their purview of responsibility as I understand it.

Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
It shouldn't be that hard to provide and option for one or the other.
Well, when you write a major IBB software package I guess you can make that a per-user option. In this software it is a system-wide setting.

The idea of not having a thread marked as read even after you've just visited it seems completely irrational to me. Doesn't that go against the concept of read versus unread?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sbm12
No and they woudn't have been asked. This isn't within their purview of responsibility as I understand it.

Well, when you write a major IBB software package I guess you can make that a per-user option. In this software it is a system-wide setting.

The idea of not having a thread marked as read even after you've just visited it seems completely irrational to me. Doesn't that go against the concept of read versus unread?
But MyFlyerTalk is not about threads I have read but threads I have subscribed to. I want to see the most recent activity on those threads, including my own.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
But MyFlyerTalk is not about threads I have read but threads I have subscribed to. I want to see the most recent activity on those threads, including my own.
Ding ding ding. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by GoingAway
Ping!
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:15 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
HELP! How do I get threads in boldface going back only to when I lost logged in? I'm now getting them for half a day before my last login. I don't subscribe to My FlyerTalk; I open forums I'm interested in and only want boldfaced threads going back to my last login--like it used to be. I'm more annoyed every time I log in.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Does anyone really think that IB is going to consult with anyone before making wholesale changes that will get them more hits? Remember, Randy's not in charge anymore and this is a for-profit business.

Still, I like that I can hop in an look at something quickly without having all my subscribed threads disappear from My Flyertalk.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Does anyone really think that IB is going to consult with anyone before making wholesale changes that will get them more hits?
No, probably not. I started a thread over in Talkboard Topics about creating a "Only Internet Brands" forum as a communication channel between us and them. This would be the perfect opportunity for IB to actually start communicating with their customers.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
No, probably not. I started a thread over in Talkboard Topics about creating a "Only Internet Brands" forum as a communication channel between us and them. This would be the perfect opportunity for IB to actually start communicating with their customers.
About 5 months ago, I unsubscribed from Talkboard Topics and haven't been by since.

I actually thought the group was useful for a few years, but now I'm convinced that anything of importance will be done by without consulting anyone. Typical "ready, fire, aim, defend at all costs" mentality it's just easier to ignore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.