FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My Flyertalk showing all threads since 3/1/10
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:43 am
sbm12
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
If you understand anything about statistical analysis, the paragraph I quoted proves absolutely nothing. The adaptees probably don't care one way or the other so they are a different sample.
Indeed, I do understand statistical sampling quite well. What you are suggesting above is that everyone who dislikes the change dislikes it. Great tautology there.

A true sample of everyone - not just folks posting in here - would likely show a whole bunch who didn't notice, a few who like it and a few who hate it. Such is life, I suppose.

Originally Posted by dhammer53
sbm, If you were to count the likes vs dislikes, I think you'd see a serious majority disliking the change; vs a serious minority liking the change.
Again, my point above was that you aren't going to have an influx of people coming into this forum to talk about how great the change is since they don't see it as an "issue" plus people are significantly more likely to comment when they don't like something, not when they do. There are about 10 folks posting in here how awful a change this is and how it make FT unusable. From a membership base of over 240,000 I'd say that's a pretty solid vote of confidence. And I've read well more positive responses elsewhere on FT than the number of negative votes here. So my equally unrealistic and unreliable system of simply counting the posts I've read actually is in favor of the change. Or maybe it is more realistic and reliable since I'm not only counting votes in the thread set up for people to complain that it is broken.

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
What was your feedback? Did IB listen?
Believe it or not I expressed concerns and reservations, not full-fledged support for the move.

My initial feedback was similar to many of the complaints here, that it would be confusing and that seeing everything as bold would upset some in the community. I also noted that the initial frustration would be outweighed by the long-term benefits that the new system provides in terms of accuracy and consistency.

Did IB listen? I believe so based on the other posts in the thread where it was discussed and based on the PM conversations I've had with a few folks there.

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Uh, don't you think this is a bit harsh? I read the admins posts as well as Randy's can came to the conclusion this was a business decision made by IB.
Yes, it was a decision made by IB. But my comment is still accurate. People - namely moderators - were informed that the change was coming before it happened. I am disputing the claims to the contrary and have posted this statement several times. People who continue to insist otherwise after reading my posts - and they have been read since they're being quoted - are simply not telling the truth anymore.

Sorry if that comes across as harsh, but I get particularly frustrated when people continue to repeat something that is demonstrably false in an effort to support their position. All opinion on whether this is a good change or not aside, claims that no one knew in advance are false.

Originally Posted by Mary2e
All that said, I still like the change, though I did not like the fact that yesterday when I marked a forum read, it marked them ALL read. But it did get rid of stuff in MyFT

I'd like to see that fixed.
I haven't seen this bug crop up at all; I think it might be a user error. When you are in a forum there are two sets of menus. The top set with the "Quick Links" drop down will mark all forums read. The "Thread Tools" link on the row below will only mark the current forum read. I'm guessing you clicked on the wrong one. Simple enough mistake to make.

Originally Posted by sosafan
Saying that it is more accurate is inaccurate. The bolding is telling me something that I don't want to know, and the way that it was done previously told me what I wanted to know.
What about it is inaccurate? Any thread marked bold is one that you have not read.

The behavior is different than it was two weeks ago. That doesn't necessarily mean it is broken.

Originally Posted by sosafan
The "new system" makes it seem that Flyertalk is broken. Since It took me a while to search through "Technical Issues" and find this thread, it has been a frustrating two weeks.
This thread has been one of the top five in the Tech Issues forum for over a week now. What searching were you doing?

IB has made plenty of mistakes in their stewardship of the FT community since they took over. There have been plenty of debacles and other disasters. And I've been on their case every single time those have happened, both representing my own views as well as those of the folks posting in the forums I moderate. In this case I don't think they've screwed up nor made a mistake and I fully support the change. To paraphrase a post I made in the thread where this was discussed with mods, "It has caused a bit of , and amongst the members but the long-term and make up for the short-term ." I still firmly believe this to be the case.

Oh, and to the folks who are upset that I'm not responding immediately to every post here (as I was recently informed by PM to be the case), sorry. I've got other things to do as well.