Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Discussion: TalkBoard motion pass/fail results reported in real-time? & related.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion: TalkBoard motion pass/fail results reported in real-time? & related.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2012, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'm a bit disturbed by what I consider a bit of a witch hunt/outing (my term) by some TB & FT members who are not happy w/ a TB member. A TB member who HAS participated many times on public TB forum in the past it should be noted. Yes, the accusers do the generic thing to cover themselves, but it's not hard to read between the lines.
+383,000 (Wonder why? Check out the FlyerTalk Forums Statistics Section )

For the record, Sharon, I am very happy that I voted for you. You'll have my vote again if you decide to "sacrifice" yourself and run for another TB term when the time comes.

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Look at it from the perspective of a regular poster who is passionate about an issue: you come to this forum and debate your heart out for day after day. Meanwhile, the issue has been settled for a week. How does that make you feel?
That could be me.

FWIW, I am fine with the status quo w/r/t TB 2-week voting process/procedure. I can wait, and keep posting meanwhile.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:44 pm
RKG

I have attempted to address this issue via PM. To absolutely no avail.

That said, this proposal is not about what is going on here right now.

Rather, what is going on right now points out the need for this proposal.

Currently, whatever the TB member's motivation, it is possible for a TB member to drag out debate on an issue that is already secretly settled in the private TB forum. Doesn't matter if they are MIA, really slow to make decisions or having a fit because they are not happy about how votes are going.

But let's forget about the perspective of the TB member dragging it out and/or the TB members who know the outcome but are waiting for the last person to vote so they can announce it.

Look at it from the perspective of a regular poster who is passionate about an issue: you come to this forum and debate your heart out for day after day. Meanwhile, the issue has been settled for a week. How does that make you feel?

We were elected to the TB to act in the best interest of the posters. This proposal does exactly that: takes care of the posters by letting them not waste their time passionately trying to secure an outcome that is already decided.

This proposal is not about TB members. It is about taking care of the posters.
Well put kokonutz!
Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:50 pm
RKG

Originally Posted by lin821
+383,000 (Wonder why? Check out the FlyerTalk Forums Statistics Section )

For the record, Sharon, I am very happy that I voted for you. You'll have my vote again if you decide to "sacrifice" yourself and run for another TB term when the time comes.

That could be me.

FWIW, I am fine with the status quo w/r/t TB 2-week voting process/procedure. I can wait, and keep posting meanwhile.
lin821, if this does indeed pass, there is nothing stopping you from waiting for the official, final count to be released. You may continue to post on this subject as well. At least the outcome - if decided- will be known to everyone and they will be able to direct their attention, or efforts, elsewhere.
Sounds like a win-win to me.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by RKG
At least the outcome - if decided- will be known to everyone and they will be able to direct their attention, or efforts, elsewhere.
(bolding mine)

Are you sure?

Even when outcome is announced per post#510 on page 34, the attention, or efforts, still keeps the referenced motion thread alive, and currently at Page 50. What makes you think this new motion to amend TB guidelines would change the "loving" dynamics among FTers?

And since when FTers would stop "talking" even with a decided outcome (quote borrowed from another TB thread)?

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Members have been discussing post counts ever since Omni was removed from post counting. I believe that the issue has been voted on 3 times by Talkboard...
FWIW, I am just not sure if the amendment motion is really for the betterment of FT or serving some personal agenda in disguise.

RKG, there are really not that many days in 2 weeks, you know.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 4:15 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

This proposal is not about TB members. It is about taking care of the posters.
I think it is of little consequence to the needs of the greater membership. This thread has been live for 5 days and thus far has harvested responses from only 16 members. What does that say about the proposed CNNification of TalkBoard?

Indeed, fourteen days is a perfectly reasonable period of time for each TB member to cast their vote on any given motion. There are no fires to be fought.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 5:26 pm
RKG

(bolding mine)

Are you sure?

Even when outcome is announced per post#510 on page 34, the attention, or efforts, still keeps the referenced motion thread alive, and currently at Page 50. What makes you think this new motion to amend TB guidelines would change the "loving" dynamics among FTers?

And since when FTers would stop "talking" even with a decided outcome (quote borrowed from another TB thread)?

FWIW, I am just not sure if the amendment motion is really for the betterment of FT or serving some personal agenda in disguise.

First, I never said that FT'ers had to stop posting their comments/opinions after the vote has already been decided (but not officially finalized and announced).

What I said was "At least the outcome - if decided- will be known to everyone and they will be able to direct their attention, or efforts, elsewhere."

If posters, pro or con, want to continue to beat a dead horse - they are certainly free to do so.
I have better uses for my time.

Finally, I do know there are not that many days in a week. Last count was 14.
14 days is relevant, in importance, to each poster on an individual basis. It might be an eternity to some and might pass quickly for others.

Calendar watchers and beaters of dead horses aside, I still think it is a win-win situation.

That's my opinion. Yours apparently differs. I respect your opinion.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 5:34 pm
RKG

Originally Posted by Prospero
I think it is of little consequence to the needs of the greater membership. This thread has been live for 5 days and thus far has harvested responses from only 16 members. What does that say about the proposed CNNification of TalkBoard?

Indeed, fourteen days is a perfectly reasonable period of time for each TB member to cast their vote on any given motion. There are no fires to be fought.
I have no problem with the 14 day voting period for casting of votes.

However, when a motion has enough votes to either pass or reject it, then notifying the community will do no harm. It will allow some posters to move on to other things and leave the dead horse beaters to carry on.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 11:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kipper
TB member interaction here at least gives the illusion that they are willing to share their opinions with the general public.
Perhaps, TB members should be required to participate in forum discussions.. but I'm sure this notion has been visited many times in the past..
Old Feb 5, 2012, 11:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
What if all Talk Board members felt that way and elected not to post in public? Without them participating in the public forum there wouldn't be much need for a public forum. Last year we had two Talk Board members who went months without posting, yet they met the requirement to remain Talk Board members, and they could not be recalled because there is no requirement to post here. Sort of like a secret society if you're a Talk Board member that only expresses his opinion on the private Talk Board forum and not in public.
So you're saying to require TB members to keep involved by posting? Certainly, the TB members should have a command of the topic issues, at the very least reading what the Public Forum has to say..

If there is a secret society, certainly the other TB members would know if other members remain involved through dialogue.. Personally, I agree that there should be a requirement to keep involved and up to speed with what the public forum is saying.. how that's enforced would be a good topic to tackle..
Old Feb 6, 2012, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Perhaps, TB members should be required to participate in forum discussions.. but I'm sure this notion has been visited many times in the past..
In public forum discussions, or just in private discussions? I think many are as engaged in both, while others prefer to simply post in private threads only.
So you're saying to require TB members to keep involved by posting? Certainly, the TB members should have a command of the topic issues, at the very least reading what the Public Forum has to say..

If there is a secret society, certainly the other TB members would know if other members remain involved through dialogue.. Personally, I agree that there should be a requirement to keep involved and up to speed with what the public forum is saying.. how that's enforced would be a good topic to tackle..
You might want to read the thread here for more discussion about involvement on the public TB forum vs. the private TB forum.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:23 pm
Suspended

Private discussions amongst Board Members is a must.. the question surfaces how much involvement a TB Member should engage in the public discussions..

The other question that surfaces, is how much measurable involvement would a TB Member be required to undertake with public forum involvement?..

imo, as long as TB members have a command of issues, part of which is public forum knowledge and input, that would be good. Just the perception of little involvement exists with low post counts.. as demonstrated in this thread..

Thanks for the link.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Private discussions amongst Board Members is a must.. the question surfaces how much involvement a TB Member should engage in the public discussions..

The other question that surfaces, is how much measurable involvement would a TB Member be required to undertake with public forum involvement?..

imo, as long as TB members have a command of issues, part of which is public forum knowledge and input, that would be good. Just the perception of little involvement exists with low post counts.. as demonstrated in this thread..

Thanks for the link.
Sometimes, perception matters more than people think or realize.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kipper
Sometimes, perception matters more than people think or realize.
Agree.. it seems to some the major impetus whether a TB member is active or so..

Reading the archives of previous TB threads, TB members would know whether another TB member is contributing or not.. so it seems historical that TB members enforce one another's participation.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 11:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Reading the archives of previous TB threads, TB members would know whether another TB member is contributing or not.. so it seems historical that TB members enforce one another's participation.
On the public forums? That didn't seem to help too much last year when two Talk Board members were posting all around FT while not appearing here for months. Didn't look like any Talk Board members were enforcing participation there. The problem was discussed in the public forum with other TB members and there was nothing within the rules that required either of them participate in the public forums.

Same thing could happen today. Any TB member could stop posting on the public forum for 6 months and there's no consequences (and no requirement to participate on the public forums). Just the way it is.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
On the public forums? That didn't seem to help too much last year when two Talk Board members were posting all around FT while not appearing here for months. Didn't look like any Talk Board members were enforcing participation there. The problem was discussed in the public forum with other TB members and there was nothing within the rules that required either of them participate in the public forums.

Same thing could happen today. Any TB member could stop posting on the public forum for 6 months and there's no consequences (and no requirement to participate on the public forums). Just the way it is.
That's why I'd like to see something that they need to participate here as well, or open the private forum to read-only access for everyone, as then we could tell if they were participating there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.