Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Discussion: TalkBoard motion pass/fail results reported in real-time? & related.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion: TalkBoard motion pass/fail results reported in real-time? & related.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by CMK10
You've been given lots of reasons, you just don't think they're valid. They include:
- People who wish to manifest their dissent still want to vote ever after a motion passes/fails
- Creating voting records for candidates in the next election
- This is how votes like this are conducted, not just we, but all votes in majority or super majority systems.
Now now, [he] ♫ sure plays a mean pinball ♫
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by Dovster
No, I am not interested in the exchange of insults and accusations.
Feel free to move along then. The "insults and accusations" are deserved, both ways. The fact that some TB members are willing to outright lie in the public forum is amazing.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by CMK10
You've been given lots of reasons, you just don't think they're valid. They include:
- People who wish to manifest their dissent still want to vote ever after a motion passes/fails
- Creating voting records for candidates in the next election
- This is how votes like this are conducted, not just we, but all votes in majority or super majority systems.
1. Dissent can be conveyed in the public discussion. Not casting a ballot doesn't preclude that.
2. Maybe a handful of people actually care.
3. So explain why you support announcing the results as soon as we get 6 "yes" or "no" votes? That's completely inconsistent with your assertion that "this is how votes like this are conducted." You can't have it both ways.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dchristiva
. So explain why you support announcing the results as soon as we get 6 "yes" or "no" votes? That's completely inconsistent with your assertion that "this is how votes like this are conducted." You can't have it both ways.
At the risk of being flippant, I obviously can because it's been that way for awhile and it's been working without complaint until your recent issues. The reason I support announcing the results, as I have stated numerous times, is because it allows a forum to be opened as soon as possible so Flyertalkers can start using it and it takes the power away from people who hold up votes as long as possible out of petty grievances or just because they're away.

Again, we govern for the majority, not the needs of a minority of literally one.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 1, 2016 at 6:42 am Reason: Close quote
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:05 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
3. So explain why you support announcing the results as soon as we get 6 "yes" or "no" votes? That's completely inconsistent with your assertion that "this is how votes like this are conducted." You can't have it both ways.
This has been explained many, many times. It's so that regular posters are not left debating (sometimes passionately) about a matter in this forum that has already been settled in the private TB forum. Because it's quite disrespectful to the posters here. Disrespectful of our time, our passion and our involvement.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by kokonutz
This has been explained many, many times. It's so that regular posters are not left debating (sometimes passionately) about a matter in this forum that has already been settled in the private TB forum. Because it's quite disrespectful to the posters here. Disrespectful of our time, our passion and our involvement.
Silly you. Apparently you, I, and others clearly do not understand nor comprehend that this is not a logical reason.

And so it was written.

And so it was good.

Amen
Old Jun 30, 2016, 2:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
The fact that some TB members are willing to outright lie in the public forum is amazing.
Report them to the moderator and that issue is resolved. They've suspended Talk Board members before and no reason to think they won't do it again in this forum. Make your case with the moderator if the facts are behind you.

Why do you keep going full speed ahead on this voting issue when you can't get a second member to support your motion? Still hoping another Talk Board member is going to change his/her mind? Shouldn't you be lobbying in private instead of on the public forum if that's your goal? Looks to me like you're just here to continue the divisiveness that the members come to expect when they pop into this forum.

No one has adequately explained the need to get 9 votes on something that passes or fails in 6.
Let me help. The Talk Board has a history of members getting elected and then sitting on the sidelines without participating in the public forum. In past years I recall at least two members - one that posted a single time when he was appointed as a backup Talk Board member (a thank you message on his appointment, while posting hundreds of times in other forums), and another that didn't post once in an entire year while also active on other forums of FT. They played by the rules.

Right now there is no requirement for Talk Board members to post in public. Some take advantage of that and don't appear to be very visible here (or invisible in some past cases). Other members are frequent posters and interact with the members of FT, something I value and I'm sure many other members do, too, being that we elected these folks to represent us.

Changing the Talk Board rules to not require members to vote after the issue has been decided without a full vote just gives those members that barely participate here, or don't participate at all, more of a reason to hide behind the cloak of invisibility.

Look ahead to future Talk Board where we may again see a member with zero posts on the public forum. Wouldn't this be a great opportunity for them not to have to vote on a single issue the entire year and let the rest of the Talk Board members make the voting decisions for them? They could hide behind the cloak of invisibility and not post a single time in the public forum, and back that up with not voting a single time either, and still be able to claim they were elected to represent the membership. Is that the kind of Talk Board you want down the line? Without a second to your motion, and the votes of Talk Board members to support you, I don't think we'll see this scenario play out. I don't even see that you have wide support among the general membership for changing the voting rules. Do you have the support of any members at all?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 4:30 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
I think it is time for a break. The core subject and many ancillary points have been beat to hell.

The moderators will consider re-opening the thread at a future date. Note there is little rationale behind the subject being reintroduced in another thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.