Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Discussion: TalkBoard motion pass/fail results reported in real-time? & related.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion: TalkBoard motion pass/fail results reported in real-time? & related.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I need to get myself checked out. You, as well as Kipper, keep on agreeing with me.

I must be ill
Uh oh.

Can you post something in OMNI/PR? Maybe everything will get back to normal then.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I need to get myself checked out. You, as well as Kipper, keep on agreeing with me.

I must be ill
In this case, I think you're agreeing with me.
Originally Posted by dchristiva
Uh oh.

Can you post something in OMNI/PR? Maybe everything will get back to normal then.
Isn't it scary?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ld-public.html
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:53 pm
RKG

Originally Posted by kipper
I'd say to start with something that might actually have a chance of passing, and I don't know that voting in public would. So, if I were drafting a TalkBoard motion, it would probably read something like, "During all TalkBoard votes, once there are 6 pass votes or 4 fail votes, this information will be posted to the discussion thread."
I would also prefer to know when a motion has enough yes votes to pass or has enough no votes to render it D.O.A.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On a personal level, it doesn't make a huge difference to me either way on this one as I'm usually not the last to vote & usually in the first few to vote.

I'm good with the status quo...the main reason I like it is because I don't think anyone should feel any pressure to vote immediately and in fact, I believe in the 5+ years I've served on TalkBoard, there have been several instances of TalkBoard members voting off the cuff, immediately, and then regretting their vote after the fact.

I think this would, unfortunately, by pressure (although my fellow TB members say that names won't be shared) speed up the voting process and not allow TB members to fully examine and contemplate their votes.

Sure, there are some cases that can be referred to as "no-brainers" - but there have been votes in the past where careful consideration is and was appropriate.

Based on that alone, I'd probably vote against this motion. Not 100% sure yet though - as it's not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things...but I think people shouldn't be pressured & I would encourage people to really think things through before voting...and this, IMHO, discourages that.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
This seems like a minor change that improves the current situation. My only hesitation is that voting on such a minor matter feeds the perception (which may be accurate!) that the TalkBoard mostly focuses on itself.
On the contrary, because this change would be made solely for the benefit of the members who don't have access to the private TB forum and might not want to spend time arguing an issue that's already been decided, I dont see how anyone could claim it is a case of the TB focusing on itself.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:17 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
On a personal level, it doesn't make a huge difference to me either way on this one as I'm usually not the last to vote & usually in the first few to vote.

I'm good with the status quo...the main reason I like it is because I don't think anyone should feel any pressure to vote immediately and in fact, I believe in the 5+ years I've served on TalkBoard, there have been several instances of TalkBoard members voting off the cuff, immediately, and then regretting their vote after the fact.

I think this would, unfortunately, by pressure (although my fellow TB members say that names won't be shared) speed up the voting process and not allow TB members to fully examine and contemplate their votes.

Sure, there are some cases that can be referred to as "no-brainers" - but there have been votes in the past where careful consideration is and was appropriate.

Based on that alone, I'd probably vote against this motion. Not 100% sure yet though - as it's not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things...but I think people shouldn't be pressured & I would encourage people to really think things through before voting...and this, IMHO, discourages that.
Leaning towards this.

Cheers.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 6:37 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Not enough support...yet.

But all good things in time...
Old Jan 31, 2012, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhatnasx

If the change was written how koko has it currently, it wouldn't reveal names of who has and has not voted. All it does is tell people, once the 4 or 6 votes have been reached, "You can stop discussing and debating it now, as the motion has been decided. If you still want to debate it, you can, but the motion has either passed or failed to pass, so debating it now will not make a difference."
Old Jan 31, 2012, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
If the change was written how koko has it currently, it wouldn't reveal names of who has and has not voted. All it does is tell people, once the 4 or 6 votes have been reached, "You can stop discussing and debating it now, as the motion has been decided. If you still want to debate it, you can, but the motion has either passed or failed to pass, so debating it now will not make a difference."
I've said this multiple times both here and in the private forum and I don't think it made a difference, to be honest.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichMSN
I've said this multiple times both here and in the private forum and I don't think it made a difference, to be honest.
So, in other words, what you are saying is that for some on TalkBoard, they are not even open to considering a motion that might benefit the membership?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
So, in other words, what you are saying is that for some on TalkBoard, they are not even open to considering a motion that might benefit the membership?
I can't speak for other TB members, but I'm open to considering things. Having said that, it doesn't mean I have to agree with what's being proposed every time or even w/ different arguments on both sides - just as others don't have to agree with me. That's part of being a FTer and a TB member.

Cheers.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:59 am
RKG

Of course TB members can, if they like, announce how and when they voted in the discussion thread. There is precedent for that!
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'm not sure that's a fair characterization or question in this case. Sharon is about as diligent a TB member as there is and if she's opposed, I'm sure she has her reasons and will tell us what they are -- in considerably less than 2 weeks when possible.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I can't speak for other TB members, but I'm open to considering things. Having said that, it doesn't mean I have to agree with what's being proposed every time or even w/ different arguments on both sides - just as others don't have to agree with me. That's part of being a FTer and a TB member.

Cheers.
I'm not sure that's a fair characterization or question in this case. Sharon is about as diligent a TB member as there is and if she's opposed, I'm sure she has her reasons and will tell us what they are -- in considerably less than 2 weeks when possible.
I took Rich's original quoted post to mean that he's mentioned in the private TB forum that a motion like what koko has drafted does nothing to affect the speed with which people vote, or announce who has voted, but simply tells people that they don't need to continue the debate. I also took it to mean that he didn't feel as his explanation had made a difference.

My understanding of it may be incorrect. However, I took his comment to also mean that some TB members are opposed to anything like this without giving it any real consideration.

I would think by allowing FT members to know if a motion has enough votes to pass, or has received enough votes to block its passage would perhaps minimize some of the "strong" messages that tend to evolve as a discussion progresses. Shouldn't building a stronger, healthier, more polite community be something TB would want to embrace?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.