Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Discussion: TalkBoard motion pass/fail results reported in real-time? & related.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion: TalkBoard motion pass/fail results reported in real-time? & related.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2012, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by goalie
Actually, I'd rather see public discussion held, then closed and then have the vote take place as this would further eliminate the heated debate-and then if a motion passes or fails with the required number of votes before the voting period has ended, you could then post the results.

Public discussion opens
Public discussion held
Public discussion closes
Vote held
Vote results published

Yes, this might/could/would add time to the whole process but imho, it's a better way to go
I'm not sure closing threads for comment would end the debate; they could pop up elsewhere. For example: Talkboard is voting on allowing posts in Omni to count towards post totals in OMNI.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
This motion would not put pressure on anyone to vote immediately. In fact, it would do just the opposite.

If a motion has 6 in favor (or 4 against), the matter is decided.

Let's assume for a moment that I am a TB member who has not yet made up his mind. As things stand right now, I would feel that any respect at all for the membership dictates that I cast my vote immediately so as not to delay informing them. Hence, I might vote in a way which I would later regret.

On the other hand, if I know that the results will be announced whether or not I vote (although the names of who voted will not be revealed until voting is completed), then I would not be at all hesitant about taking the entire 2 weeks before casting my ballot, giving it as much thought as I feel it deserves.

About the only "down side" to this motion is depriving a TalkBoard member of the "power" to keep the membership waiting to know the results and, frankly, if anyone gets pleasure from that petty exercise of his or her authority then he or she belongs in kindergarden, not on TalkBoard.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 7:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'm all for announcing the results earlier, if the required number of votes has been received before the end of the official voting deadline.

However, I don't support the idea of having the vote 'in public' for various reasons:

- It may pursuade voting members to change their position if they vote later and can already see the existing vote count 'for' and 'against' (seemingly giving later voting members more 'power')
- It would be unfair pressure on voting members who vote later in the process

I'd support an announcement which listed out who each member voted, but after the vote has completed.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:05 pm
RKG

Originally Posted by matthandy
I'm all for announcing the results earlier, if the required number of votes has been received before the end of the official voting deadline.

However, I don't support the idea of having the vote 'in public' for various reasons:

- It may pursuade voting members to change their position if they vote later and can already see the existing vote count 'for' and 'against' (seemingly giving later voting members more 'power')
- It would be unfair pressure on voting members who vote later in the process

I'd support an announcement which listed out who each member voted, but after the vote has completed.
I believe each of the TB members can see the vote count tally as it occurs. It is private to them. The balance of FT'ers do not have access until the vote is complete and released.

Of course my understanding may be incorrect.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by N965VJ
I'm not sure closing threads for comment would end the debate; they could pop up elsewhere. For example: Talkboard is voting on allowing posts in Omni to count towards post totals in OMNI.
Precisely. Nor do I think it is good practice to stifle/limit debate, since a member coming upon the subject after the "official" discussion period may have a very salient contribution to make to the discussion that could significantly affect the outcome. That has happened before, IIRC.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by RKG
I believe each of the TB members can see the vote count tally as it occurs. It is private to them. The balance of FT'ers do not have access until the vote is complete and released.

Of course my understanding may be incorrect.
Right, they have kept private and not asking TB any question about voting, creation new forum and etc. TB have kept the privacy when they passed the motion or voting failed. TB is their own choice and not TB members decsion.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 6:20 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by matthandy
That is exactly the status quo.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by jackal
Precisely. Nor do I think it is good practice to stifle/limit debate, since a member coming upon the subject after the "official" discussion period may have a very salient contribution to make to the discussion that could significantly affect the outcome. That has happened before, IIRC.
I know others have suggested limiting discussion times. However, my idea is not to limit discussion and lock threads, but rather, do away with some of the very "strong, passionate" language that is sometimes used towards the end of a debate. I feel that by announcing that a motion has the votes to pass or will not receive enough votes to pass will minimize some of the "strong" language used, and will, in turn, strengthen the community.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:50 am

As things stand now, they are absolutely ridiculous.

We have not been told if the Games Forum was approved.

We have not been told if posts on it will count.

For all of that, there is a new Games Forum and posts on it are, indeed, being added to our post counts.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Dovster

For all of that, there is a new Games Forum and posts on it are, indeed, being added to our post counts.
I am not, according to the TB Guidelines, allowed to announce the results.

I will say that the status quo is *not* how the vote ended. I expect that IB needs to flip some switches and I'm sure Sharon will be along to announce the vote results soon.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by RichMSN
I will say that the status quo is *not* how the vote ended.
Now I get it. The Games Forum was not approved and will soon cease to exist. Future posts made on it will stop being counted as soon as it disappears.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...

Yes, this is true.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Oh good grief - the vote ended last night after I shut down my computer. I did work this morning & am now on FT during lunch. EXCUSE me that I didn't get on to FT at 6am to check & post immediately the results - which I will be doing in a few minutes. Sorry that's 'late'' for some of you

Cheers.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Oh good grief - the vote ended last night after I shut down my computer. I did work this morning & am now on FT during lunch. EXCUSE me that I didn't get on to FT at 6am to check & post immediately the results - which I will be doing in a few minutes. Sorry that's 'late'' for some of you

Cheers.
So you do not consider it ridiculous that the forum was established before it was announced and that posts are being counted on the Game forum but not Omni?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:09 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.
lol, I was thinking that you were going to have to stay up late as the vote closed after 11pm EST, and we all could have guessed that the last vote would not be in until just at the deadline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.