Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Discussion: TalkBoard motion pass/fail results reported in real-time? & related.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion: TalkBoard motion pass/fail results reported in real-time? & related.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by kokonutz
IMHO, it wasn't before. But it is now.

Jenbel pointed out up-thread that it has actually been a problem at least once before.

Some issues are settled in a day or two. Continuing active debate on that matter for 12 or 13 more days just because one TB member is out of pocket or slow or whatever is counter-productive.

For example, it is possible that THIS issue has been settled for some time. Yet you just spent time debating it. Wouldn't you prefer to know whether you were wasting your time or not, the same way I know whether I am wasting my time or not writing this post?
Or pouting. Don't forget about pouting.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Some issues are settled in a day or two. Continuing active debate on that matter for 12 or 13 more days just because one TB member is out of pocket or slow or whatever is counter-productive.
If increased TB productivity is the goal why even seek public input at all? Why not just eliminate that step in the process and go directly to balloting? And BTW just when did we start measuring TB productivity?

For example, it is possible that THIS issue has been settled for some time. Yet you just spent time debating it. Wouldn't you prefer to know whether you were wasting your time or not, the same way I know whether I am wasting my time or not writing this post?
Wouldn't be the first windmill I've tilted at and likely won't be the last.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 9:01 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Jenbel pointed out up-thread that it has actually been a problem at least once before.
Also, we had a situation about 2 years ago where a TB member dropped out without resigning. That caused at least 3 votes to run the full 2 weeks.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 9:44 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by tcook052

Wouldn't be the first windmill I've tilted at and likely won't be the last.
I hear ya! But one day a Mens forum will be reality. My buddy Sancho agrees with me.
^
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
Also, we had a situation about 2 years ago where a TB member dropped out without resigning. That caused at least 3 votes to run the full 2 weeks.
This would seem to be another problem that would need to be resolved. If a TB member drops out, the current protocol is to resign, but failing that, the process adopted needs to be enacted.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 5:49 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
This would seem to be another problem that would need to be resolved. If a TB member drops out, the current protocol is to resign, but failing that, the process adopted needs to be enacted.
But it they don't tell anyone they are "dropping out" how is the TB or anyone else supposed to know? Today, the mechanism in place is when they miss 3 consecutive votes. And when you add in this measure to report pass/fail results in real-time, then those three "missed" votes won't cause the same type of delays.

So this proposal already does help address a TB member who just "drops out".
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hhoope01
But it they don't tell anyone they are "dropping out" how is the TB or anyone else supposed to know? Today, the mechanism in place is when they miss 3 consecutive votes. And when you add in this measure to report pass/fail results in real-time, then those three "missed" votes won't cause the same type of delays.

So this proposal already does help address a TB member who just "drops out".
Will results and vote times be disclosed as well?

I think the mechanism in place 3 strikes you're out is a good measure.. This motion passing TB decisions when majority is reached seems to be a nobrainer.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:16 pm

Will results and vote times be disclosed as well?
Based on the current proposal being voted on, the only change is that when the needed votes to pass or fail a measure are met, the FT general membership will be notified. So no one outside the TB itself or FT management would know who voted or when until after the full two weeks are up. After the two weeks, the TB VP will notify the general membership of who voted and how.

But the general FT membership will NOT know when each TB member voted unless that TB member tells us. Which is exactly as things are today.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Or pouting. Don't forget about pouting.
Indeed. From what I gather from posts made on this and other threads one TB member has been throwing a temper tantrum for the past month and taking out his (or her) anger by punishing the general membership and keeping us waiting until the last minute to learn if a motion has passed or failed.

Clearly, TB consists of 8 adults and one spoiled little child (the exact kind you hate to find sitting near you on a long flight).
Old Feb 12, 2012, 5:37 pm
RKG

Originally Posted by Dovster
Indeed. From what I gather from posts made on this and other threads one TB member has been throwing a temper tantrum for the past month and taking out his (or her) anger by punishing the general membership and keeping us waiting until the last minute to learn if a motion has passed or failed.

Clearly, TB consists of 8 adults and one spoiled little child (the exact kind you hate to find sitting near you on a long flight).
I was pretty much thinking the same thing!
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:35 pm
Suspended

Based on the current proposal being voted on, the only change is that when the needed votes to pass or fail a measure are met, the FT general membership will be notified. So no one outside the TB itself or FT management would know who voted or when until after the full two weeks are up. After the two weeks, the TB VP will notify the general membership of who voted and how.

But the general FT membership will NOT know when each TB member voted unless that TB member tells us. Which is exactly as things are today.
Thanks.. the main thing is letting the FT membership know whether a motion has failed or passed. This is the material result.

Sounds moot releasing the information after, unless TB members are still able to vote after the verdict of a motion is disclosed.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 7:45 am

Sounds moot releasing the information after, unless TB members are still able to vote after the verdict of a motion is disclosed.
The TB members will have the same two weeks to vote that they have today. The only material change is that the general FT membership will know in "real-time" when there are enough votes to pass/fail the measure.

And given that motions are re-voted on at later dates (just look at the various counting post motions over the last few years), compiling every TB members vote is still valuable information. And also come TB election time, people may want to know how specific TB members voted. As how a TB member votes on various motions could effect who votes for whom during an election.

So even if the decision of this motion has been decided, we still want to have every TB members votes counted for every motion.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:29 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Dovster

IF that is the case, this proposal will fix it. ^
Old Feb 13, 2012, 3:42 pm

I hear ya! But one day a Mens forum will be reality. My buddy Sancho agrees with me.
^
I'll support action to remove the women's forum if it is proposed. Most topics are relatively gender-neutral anyways.

Don't you often wonder about cute but comfortable shoes for travel?

Back on topic, however... Many of those who want to engage in discussion about a particular topic I suspect will do so regardless of the current 'real time' situation, just as some continue to discuss topics after votes have ended. Just because a trip ends doesn't mean we don't discuss it after the fact, for instance.

I tend to agree with hhoope01 as well about the potential future impact of such discussion.

Last edited by exbayern; Feb 13, 2012 at 3:47 pm
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:06 pm
Suspended

The TB members will have the same two weeks to vote that they have today. The only material change is that the general FT membership will know in "real-time" when there are enough votes to pass/fail the measure.

And given that motions are re-voted on at later dates (just look at the various counting post motions over the last few years), compiling every TB members vote is still valuable information. And also come TB election time, people may want to know how specific TB members voted. As how a TB member votes on various motions could effect who votes for whom during an election.

So even if the decision of this motion has been decided, we still want to have every TB members votes counted for every motion.
The real time factor revealing a majority decision is good.. although moot, the majority decision may affect the subsequent TB members' vote thereafter. It could be material to some that this factor exists. This would be an argument to have the process remain status quo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.