Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Discussion: TalkBoard motion pass/fail results reported in real-time? & related.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion: TalkBoard motion pass/fail results reported in real-time? & related.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2012, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by kipper
That's why I'd like to see something that they need to participate here as well, or open the private forum to read-only access for everyone, as then we could tell if they were participating there.
I'm actually fine with TB members doing whatever they want with respect to the public (or even private) forum.

At the same time, those TB members that don't participate here should be specifically called out during the next election. If those candidates get re-elected despite no participation, then that's no fault other than the voters'.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 9:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I'm actually fine with TB members doing whatever they want with respect to the public (or even private) forum.
Is there a requirement that a Talk Board member has to participate in discussions in the private forum? If you go MIA in both the public and private forums for months on end, does that just mean as long as you show up for the occasional vote you're still representing the membership? Can you even put up a motion, or second it, without posting somewhere? I guess it would need to be a member that doesn't want to propose any motions to vote on and also doesn't want to post publicly on either forum.

That might offer a challenge for someone who wants to run next year, gets elected, and then stays invisible for their entire term of office except for voting.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
On the public forums? That didn't seem to help too much last year when two Talk Board members were posting all around FT while not appearing here for months. Didn't look like any Talk Board members were enforcing participation there. The problem was discussed in the public forum with other TB members and there was nothing within the rules that required either of them participate in the public forums.

Same thing could happen today. Any TB member could stop posting on the public forum for 6 months and there's no consequences (and no requirement to participate on the public forums). Just the way it is.
Perhaps if TB sees nonparticipation to be a problem, some rules could be introduced..
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Perhaps if TB sees nonparticipation to be a problem, some rules could be introduced..
While I don't think additional rules to remove or punish a TB member would be practical, this motion (which is waiting for vote(s) or expiration just as the past few motions), if approved, will go a long way to help us be able to get things done without a minority (or even one) member slowing everything down.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:37 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
While I don't think additional rules to remove or punish a TB member would be practical, this motion (which is waiting for vote(s) or expiration just as the past few motions), if approved, will go a long way to help us be able to get things done without a minority (or even one) member slowing everything down.
^

I am excited for Feb 15, 2012 at 12:36 pm to arrive!

I am hopeful that full participation may resume by all TB members at that point.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Seems like a nobrainer motion to be voted on..

What would provide the motivation for all TB members to vote quickly if decided already? What would provide such urgency? It will be nice to get this efficiency..
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro

What would provide the motivation for all TB members to vote quickly if decided already?
If the motion is already decided and announced it would not matter if the remaining TB member(s) voted quickly or not.

As it stand right now, if a motion is decided all TB members, whether they voted or not, know the results. This motion would stop the silliness we have seen recently where one TB member can keep the general membership from knowing the results until the final minute.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tick tock. Tick tock.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Tick tock. Tick tock.
Impatient, are we?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dovster
If the motion is already decided and announced it would not matter if the remaining TB member(s) voted quickly or not.

As it stand right now, if a motion is decided all TB members, whether they voted or not, know the results. This motion would stop the silliness we have seen recently where one TB member can keep the general membership from knowing the results until the final minute.
Would make sense to keep confidential the vote, and when a majority is a determined passing the motion.. then reveal it.

Waiting to find out won't change the result.. so a common sense motion.^
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:15 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Dovster
This motion would stop the silliness we have seen recently where one TB member can keep the general membership from knowing the results until the final minute.
And getting the results of non-binding motions from an advisory board faster helps the general membership how?

MHO a two week period to cast ballots isn't an overly long period of time so wouldn't support making any changes. That is merely MHO and YMMV.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 6:11 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by tcook052
MHO a two week period to cast ballots isn't an overly long period of time so wouldn't support making any changes. That is merely MHO and YMMV.
I 100% agree that it isn't too long a period to have a two-week voting period, but why is it that the last couple motions have dragged out all the way to the end of the two-week period? I don't know the answer and you don't either, but if the final verdict on the motion can be found out sooner than the last minute, is that not a good thing?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lo2e
I 100% agree that it isn't too long a period to have a two-week voting period, but why is it that the last couple motions have dragged out all the way to the end of the two-week period? I don't know the answer and you don't either, but if the final verdict on the motion can be found out sooner than the last minute, is that not a good thing?
We have 4 motions currently up for vote. Those results will be reported in the next week or so and I'm guessing that things may change subsequent to this. One way or another.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by lo2e
So if you feel that a two week voting period isn't too long why would waiting until the end of it be a bad thing?

Sorry but I'm unconvinced this was a problem that needed solving.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:56 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by tcook052
So if you feel that a two week voting period isn't too long why would waiting until the end of it be a bad thing?

Sorry but I'm unconvinced this was a problem that needed solving.
IMHO, it wasn't before. But it is now.

Jenbel pointed out up-thread that it has actually been a problem at least once before.

Some issues are settled in a day or two. Continuing active debate on that matter for 12 or 13 more days just because one TB member is out of pocket or slow or whatever is counter-productive.

For example, it is possible that THIS issue has been settled for some time. Yet you just spent time debating it. Wouldn't you prefer to know whether you were wasting your time or not, the same way I know whether I am wasting my time or not writing this post?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.