Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Discussion: TalkBoard motion pass/fail results reported in real-time? & related.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion: TalkBoard motion pass/fail results reported in real-time? & related.

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CMK10
I made the same suggestion, twice now in fact, if dchristiva is as upset with TalkBoard as he states, I don't see why he would enjoy serving. There are plenty of people who would be happy to take his place and who most likely would not engage in such childish behavior.
There was an instance in the past where a TB member expressed frustration with the way TB operates, IIRC about two and a half years ago. Personally, I wish the person had resigned at the time, but AFAIK no one suggested this (uness it was done by PM sent by others) and there certainly was no suggestion in public from TB colleagues that the person should resign.

I find this discussion to be inappropriate. If someone has been elected and has not done anything that would be considered cause for removal according to TB rules, it's unseemly to urge them to resign, especially multiple times and publicly.

There's nothing wrong with expressing an opinion.
Old May 24, 2016, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by lin821
Would you kindly elaborate how any non-voting TBer speaks for what membership wants?

FWIW, as a FTer, I don't want a not-voting TBer to represent nor speak for what I want.

How's not voting serving as any prompt action?
Would you kindly elaborate on how voting on a matter that's already been decided and announced helps the general membership?

I'm simply seeking alignment between the voting period and when TB announces the outcome of issues. But I'm not wasting my own time to vote "just for the sake of voting" when a public announcment has been made that something passed or failed.

Believe me, I WANT to vote. But if something's decided, let's all move on.

I find it sad that TB does not want to fix this flaw.
Old May 24, 2016, 10:34 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by dchristiva
The poll results are only displayed AFTER you cast your vote, right?
Wrong.

Any member of FlyerTalk with any access to any poll posted in any public discussion on FlyerTalk has the ability to see how many votes were cast — as well as split amongst the choices of the poll — from the time the very first vote is cast.
Old May 24, 2016, 10:36 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by CMK10
I made the same suggestion, twice now in fact, if dchristiva is as upset with TalkBoard as he states, I don't see why he would enjoy serving.
This is not helpful.

Based on the process as it stands today, HOW do TB members know when at least six votes either support or oppose a motion? The poll results are only displayed AFTER you cast your vote, right? Ballots should be cast by each TB member WITHOUT knowing how others have voted.
No, you can see the results, and who voted how, at any time. I disagree that TB voters should be blinded to other votes. AFAIK, no legislative body in the world works that way.
Old May 24, 2016, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Wrong.

Any member of FlyerTalk with any access to any poll posted in any public discussion on FlyerTalk has the ability to see how many votes were cast — as well as split amongst the choices of the poll — from the time the very first vote is cast.
That REALLY makes no sense. Votes should be cast independently. Voters shouldn't know how other TB members voted until AFTER he/she casts his/her ballot.

Again, I see more and more rationale for totally public, real time voting.
Old May 24, 2016, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
No, you can see the results, and who voted how, at any time. I disagree that TB voters should be blinded to other votes. AFAIK, no legislative body in the world works that way.
When I cast my ballot for public office, I don't know how YOU voted.

When I cast my ballot for board members of a public company, I don't know how anyone else voted.

WHY on earth should I be able to know how the rest of TB voted on a matter BEFORE I cast my ballot?
Old May 24, 2016, 10:41 am

I personally have no problem whatsoever with casting my vote in public for all members of FlyerTalk to see.
Old May 24, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Canarsie
I personally have no problem whatsoever with casting my vote in public for all members of FlyerTalk to see.
Good. I have said the same thing. So, shockingly, we agree on something. I wonder if 4 more TB members would agree.
Old May 24, 2016, 10:46 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
When I cast my ballot for public office, I don't know how YOU voted.

When I cast my ballot for board members of a public company, I don't know how anyone else voted.

WHY on earth should I be able to know how the rest of TB voted on a matter BEFORE I cast my ballot?
This is a difference between voting to elect representatives and voting as a representative.
Old May 24, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Based on the process as it stands today, HOW do TB members know when at least six votes either support or oppose a motion? The poll results are only displayed AFTER you cast your vote, right? Ballots should be cast by each TB member WITHOUT knowing how others have voted.
As has been explained to you in both the private & the public TB forums, polls are either public or private. That's due to VBulletin software upon which FT is built. There is no partial private/partial public poll.

As structured today, TB members are incentivized to "go with the crowd" on matters that are announced as "pass" or "fail" before the voting period expires.
What is this incentive to go w/ the crowd of which you speak? I've not been offered any free Starbucks, upgrades, bonus points, quid pro quos on votes. Darn it - what am I missing?!

It's your opinion that TB members go w/ the flow. That it's your opinion doesn't make it reality.

When I voted on the LAN forum 2 TB members had voted before me & I knew who they were. Knowing that didn't cause me to vote yes (the arguments put forth by EastBay1K, JohnnyColombia & Prospero did), just as when I've voted No on a motion that I knew was going to pass (other motions) didn't cause me to suddenly switch my vote to a yes vote. I voted no based on discussions in the private & private forums. I didn't consider my vote to be meaningless, even if it wasn't going to change the outcome.

Would you kindly elaborate on how voting on a matter that's already been decided and announced helps the general membership?

I find it sad that TB does not want to fix this flaw.
Read this thread up until the time it was bumped to understand why posting a motion will pass/fail helps FTers. The decision 4+ years ago, as well as last year's decision to implement the changes once something has passed, addressed concerns by both FTers & TB members & solved the problem that necessitated such changes.

Considering it a flaw is your opinion, not necessarily one shared by your fellow TB members nor by FTers.

Cheers.
Old May 24, 2016, 10:56 am

Good. I have said the same thing. So, shockingly, we agree on something. I wonder if 4 more TB members would agree.
Your use of the word shockingly was completely unnecessary.
Originally Posted by nsx
This is a difference between voting to elect representatives and voting as a representative.
Based on my experience as a member of the board of directors of various organizations over the years, dchristiva is correct that members of the board of directors do not know the outcome of a vote before voting by all members has been completed; and only then are the results officially announced to the entire board.
Old May 24, 2016, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
That REALLY makes no sense. Votes should be cast independently. Voters shouldn't know how other TB members voted until AFTER he/she casts his/her ballot.

Whether you think it makes sense or not, it is a) how it has always been and b) how the forum software works, and there's no way to change it.

Any changes you want to propose to the voting process need to be technically feasible within the framework of the software that runs our forum.

Real-time voting in the public forum isn't feasible because there is no way in the forum software to limit it so that only the nine TalkBoard members can vote. We'd end up with members of the public voting in all of the official vote polls.

(It may work to give TalkBoard members the ability to post in the Town Hall Decisions forum and leave it read-only for all other FlyerTalkers and to conduct the votes there, but we'd either need to test it or ask IB if that would work if we wanted to implement something like that.)
Old May 24, 2016, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by jackal
It may work to give TalkBoard members the ability to post in the Town Hall Decisions forum and leave it read-only for all other FlyerTalkers and to conduct the votes there, but we'd either need to test it or ask IB if that would work if we wanted to implement something like that.
If the idea of members of TalkBoard voting publicly came to fruition, it would probably require little more than Carol “flipping a switch” to allow temporary access solely to members of TalkBoard — similarly to the temporary forums which appear during the election process of TalkBoard members by members of FlyerTalk.

I do not believe that Internet Brands would need to be involved.
Old May 24, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK when there are roll call votes (rather than oral aye and nay) in the U S Congress and most state legislatures, people voting later in the alphabet know the current vote talley before they case their votes and the same with the electronic votes where members have a set amount of time to vote, but the votes are displayed as/before individuals vote. It would be the same with oral votes on school boards, etc., although obviously people voting first have much less information than those who vote last according to the district represented, the alphabet, their length of time served, or where they're sitting.

For the votes in which I participate due to professional duties, I've seen shows of hands and well as secret paper ballots and mail in (or faxed) paper (usually but not always secret) ballots (now moving to email), although often the decision is really first reached by consensus with sometimes a formal vote also being required.
Old May 24, 2016, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK when there are roll call votes (rather than oral aye and nay) in the U S Congress and most state legislatures, people voting later in the alphabet know the current vote talley before they case their votes and the same with the electronic votes where members have a set amount of time to vote, but the votes are displayed as/before individuals vote. It would be the same with oral votes on school boards, etc., although obviously people voting first have much less information than those who vote last according to the district represented, the alphabet, their length of time served, or where they're sitting.

For the votes in which I participate due to professional duties, I've seen shows of hands and well as secret paper ballots and mail in (or faxed) paper (usually but not always secret) ballots (now moving to email), although often the decision is really first reached by consensus with sometimes a formal vote also being required.
The boards of directors on which I have served typically used secret ballots; but I believe that you are correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.