Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Discussion: TalkBoard motion pass/fail results reported in real-time? & related.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion: TalkBoard motion pass/fail results reported in real-time? & related.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
The real time factor revealing a majority decision is good.. although moot, the majority decision may affect the subsequent TB members' vote thereafter. It could be material to some that this factor exists. This would be an argument to have the process remain status quo.
Don't forget that subsequent TB members already know not only if a motion has passed/failed but also how each member voted. From the moment that a poll opens, as each member casts his ballot other TB members are informed of which way he voted.

If a subsequent TB member is going to allow these votes to determine his own, that would be the case with or without this measure.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 3:54 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Dovster is correct - This motion makes absolutely zero change through the eyes of a TB member, as they can already see in their voting thread who has voted, how they voted, and whether or not a motion will pass (unless it is a down-to-the-wire vote with the score being 5 yea to 3 nay).

The only change is on the public side of things, and also on Sharon's part to post the pass/fail as soon as it is known (i.e. 6 yea or 4 nay).
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Motion passed...

On February 14, 2012, Talkboard passed 6-3:

The TalkBoard guidelines will be amended as follows:

D. Public Notice Procedures
i. Once a motion has been put before TalkBoard for a vote the Vice President/Secretary shall post a new thread in the public TalkBoard Topics forum announcing the vote along with the voting end date as quickly as feasible. Once that thread is posted, the TalkBoard Vice President/Secretary will submit a request to the FlyerTalk Host or representative to create an site-wide announcment of the vote with a link to the discussion/voting thread in the TalkBoard Topics Forum. The Announcement will be available until either voting is completed and a decision is made or the voting period ends.
ii. Motions on topics related to the internal administration of TalkBoard as determined by the President and some topics requested for discussion or input by the FlyerTalk Host will be exempted from this public posting requirement.
iii. The purpose of posting voting topics in the public TalkBoard Topics forum is to solicit member feedback on any motions that are up for a vote and to allow for comments after a vote is made. It is at the sole discretion of the individual TalkBoard members whether they choose to post in the public discussion thread, there being no requirement to do so.
iv. Once an active motion has received sufficient Yes votes for approval or sufficient No votes that approval is not possible, the Vice President/Secretary or the President shall post this fact in the public TalkBoard Topics thread announcing the vote.
[strike]iv.[strike]v. Once voting is completed and the TalkBoard President has formally announced the results of the vote in the TalkBoard forum the Vice President/Secretary shall announce the full results of the roll call vote in
a. the public TalkBoard Topics thread announcing the vote
b. a new thread in the Town Hall forum.

Voting yes: Cholula, jackal, kokonutz, nsx, RichMSN, SkiAdcock
Voting no: bhatnasx, goalie, Spiff
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Good to see it passed.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Good to see it passed.
Agreed. The only problem I foresee is if Al Gore runs for TB President, his opponent gets 6 votes, and Al demands that nothing be announced officially until he determines that all 6 people actually understood the voting process.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:54 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by Dovster
Agreed. The only problem I foresee is if Al Gore runs for TB President, his opponent gets 6 votes, and Al demands that nothing be announced officially until he determines that all 6 people actually understood the voting process.
Luckily he invented the internet, so he can change it however he pleases.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Glad to see that it passed!
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:17 pm
RKG

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
On February 14, 2012, Talkboard passed 6-3:

The TalkBoard guidelines will be amended as follows:

D. Public Notice Procedures
i. Once a motion has been put before TalkBoard for a vote the Vice President/Secretary shall post a new thread in the public TalkBoard Topics forum announcing the vote along with the voting end date as quickly as feasible. Once that thread is posted, the TalkBoard Vice President/Secretary will submit a request to the FlyerTalk Host or representative to create an site-wide announcment of the vote with a link to the discussion/voting thread in the TalkBoard Topics Forum. The Announcement will be available until either voting is completed and a decision is made or the voting period ends.
ii. Motions on topics related to the internal administration of TalkBoard as determined by the President and some topics requested for discussion or input by the FlyerTalk Host will be exempted from this public posting requirement.
iii. The purpose of posting voting topics in the public TalkBoard Topics forum is to solicit member feedback on any motions that are up for a vote and to allow for comments after a vote is made. It is at the sole discretion of the individual TalkBoard members whether they choose to post in the public discussion thread, there being no requirement to do so.
iv. Once an active motion has received sufficient Yes votes for approval or sufficient No votes that approval is not possible, the Vice President/Secretary or the President shall post this fact in the public TalkBoard Topics thread announcing the vote.
[strike]iv.[strike]v. Once voting is completed and the TalkBoard President has formally announced the results of the vote in the TalkBoard forum the Vice President/Secretary shall announce the full results of the roll call vote in
a. the public TalkBoard Topics thread announcing the vote
b. a new thread in the Town Hall forum.

Voting yes: Cholula, jackal, kokonutz, nsx, RichMSN, SkiAdcock
Voting no: bhatnasx, goalie, Spiff
^^ Good news!
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:56 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by kipper
Glad to see that it passed!
Me too! If only it had passed long before it passed, we would have had a far smoother winter, imho.

Going forward, I am pleased that slow-voting TB members will not end up keeping the posters in the dark once an issue is no longer in doubt, whether they were doing it on purpose or not. ^
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:10 pm

While I voted yes, it was a reluctant yes.

I was never that supportive of this because I thought it was a solution in search of a problem - and I don't think the problem of actually waiting until the end of 2 weeks to find out vote results is very onorous.

I also thought it did a disservice to FTers and TB members as though what they thought or voted didn't matter just because the input or vote didn't happen by the time 6 others did.

Also, one reason given by my esteemed friend koko is this will put to bed/let threads drop down because then there will won't be any discussion post-announcement. I disagree - we're talking FTers & they'll always discuss afterwards (on the controversial ones especially).

But since some folk were hot to trot on this & the recent delay of votes (which didn't happen last year) bothered me, I voted for it.

Cheers.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
While I voted yes, it was a reluctant yes.

I was never that supportive of this because I thought it was a solution in search of a problem - and I don't think the problem of actually waiting until the end of 2 weeks to find out vote results is very onorous.

I also thought it did a disservice to FTers and TB members as though what they thought or voted didn't matter just because the input or vote didn't happen by the time 6 others did.

Also, one reason given by my esteemed friend koko is this will put to bed/let threads drop down because then there will won't be any discussion post-announcement. I disagree - we're talking FTers & they'll always discuss afterwards (on the controversial ones especially).

But since some folk were hot to trot on this & the recent delay of votes (which didn't happen last year) bothered me, I voted for it.

Cheers.
I'm glad you did.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: OMNI Platinum
Originally Posted by Dovster
Is Al gore a nickname for a certain TB member?
Old May 18, 2016, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
And so it will be good.

Amen

(I can't wait to see if anyone voted no, abstained, or forgot.)
I would like to understand this further. If a motion passes, why are the remaining votes important?

I see a disconnect between the 14 day voting period and the fact that TB announces the results of a vote as soon as the required number of votes has been tallied. I'm all for providing prompt service to the membership, but the logic between the voting period and announcing the results seems flawed.
Old May 18, 2016, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by dchristiva
I would like to understand this further. If a motion passes, why are the remaining votes important?

I see a disconnect between the 14 day voting period and the fact that TB announces the results of a vote as soon as the required number of votes has been tallied. I'm all for providing prompt service to the membership, but the logic between the voting period and announcing the results seems flawed.
Rather than sidetrack the LAN forum thread, perhaps start a separate thread re: it? BTW- you supported in 2012 the decision to announce the results once a motion had enough votes to pass/not pass.

Back on topic. The CommunityDirector has made the change to the forum name since it does have enough votes to pass.

Cheers.
Old May 18, 2016, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dchristiva
Perhaps the membership would like to know how a particular TB member feels about an issue, assuming the TB member actually feels anything (i.e., yes/no/abstain/ignore).

Otherwise, there might as well be a secret ballot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.