Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Comments Welcome Voting Underway-Amend Talkboard Guidelines Voting Results Disclosure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comments Welcome Voting Underway-Amend Talkboard Guidelines Voting Results Disclosure

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Moved by kokonutz and seconded by RichMSN:

"The TalkBoard guidelines will be amended as follows:

D. Public Notice Procedures
i. Once a motion has been put before TalkBoard for a vote the Vice President/Secretary shall post a new thread in the public TalkBoard Topics forum announcing the vote along with the voting end date as quickly as feasible. Once that thread is posted, the TalkBoard Vice President/Secretary will submit a request to the FlyerTalk Host or representative to create an site-wide announcment of the vote with a link to the discussion/voting thread in the TalkBoard Topics Forum. The Announcement will be available until either voting is completed and a decision is made or the voting period ends.
ii. Motions on topics related to the internal administration of TalkBoard as determined by the President and some topics requested for discussion or input by the FlyerTalk Host will be exempted from this public posting requirement.
iii. The purpose of posting voting topics in the public TalkBoard Topics forum is to solicit member feedback on any motions that are up for a vote and to allow for comments after a vote is made. It is at the sole discretion of the individual TalkBoard members whether they choose to post in the public discussion thread, there being no requirement to do so.
iv. Once an active motion has received sufficient Yes votes for approval or sufficient No votes that approval is not possible, the Vice President/Secretary or the President shall post this fact in the public TalkBoard Topics thread announcing the vote.
iv.v. Once voting is completed and the TalkBoard President has formally announced the results of the vote in the TalkBoard forum the Vice President/Secretary shall announce the full results of the roll call vote in
a. the public TalkBoard Topics thread announcing the vote
b. a new thread in the Town Hall forum."

This vote will close on February 15, 2012 at 12:36 pm or after all TalkBoard members have registered their vote, whichever comes first.

Per the TalkBoard Guidelines:

A motion shall pass if at least two-thirds of the yes or no votes cast by TalkBoard members are ‘yes’ and a majority of the total TalkBoard membership votes 'yes.'

The purpose of posting voting topics in the public TalkBoard Topics forum is to solicit member feedback on any motions that are up for a vote and to allow for comments after a vote is made. It is at the sole discretion of the individual TalkBoard members whether they choose to post in the public discussion thread, there being no requirement to do so.

So while there is already a thread and discussion on this general topic and it is safe to assume that TalkBoard members have reviewed that thread, this thread is about this specific motion.

Please feel free to post questions, comments or any other sort of feedback in this thread, or in the other discussion thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...real-time.html

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Feb 1, 2012 at 12:08 pm
Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
iv. Once an active proposal has received sufficient Yes votes for approval or sufficient No votes that approval is not possible, the Vice President/Secretary or the President shall post this fact in the public TalkBoard Topics thread announcing the vote.
(bolding mine)

Shouldn't it be "motion", instead of "proposal?"

I learned from my FT education in TB that a proposal is different from a motion. Unless there's any change, my understanding is TBers vote on motions, not proposals.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:17 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by lin821
(bolding mine)

Shouldn't it be "motion", instead of "proposal?"

I learned from my FT education in TB that a proposal is different from a motion. Unless there's any change, my understanding is TBers vote on motions, not proposals.
Jeez, NOW you point that out!

Sort of a young-dog-to-puppies thing. But yes, that would be more consistent. I will see if a friendly technical amendment is permitted.

Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:51 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I support this. I think that it stops some of the debate that has continued on the OMNI/counting posts threads, where the outcome was known to at least some. to me, this means that the strong language that tends to be used as the debate rages on would be tempered. This would foster a greater sense of community and less, "I dislike this person."
Old Feb 1, 2012, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I will see if a friendly technical amendment is permitted.
It is permitted per quick discussion in the thread in the private TB forum, so now the vote in that forum & the wording in post # 1 has been amended.

Thanks to lin821 for having sharper eyes than the rest of us & catching it.

Cheers.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 12:11 pm

It is permitted per quick discussion in the thread in the private TB forum, so now the vote in that forum & the wording in post # 1 has been amended.

Cheers.
Thanks for the quick discussion in the private TB forum and the quick change here!
Old Feb 1, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: united, delta, british
What the hell is OMNI???

and why am I not allowed to go there?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bkcarolina
and why am I not allowed to go there?
"OMNI is the place for vibrant dialogue on topics unrelated to miles, points, and travel. It is fascinating reading and provides quite a bit of humor and entertainment."

In order to access Omni, Omni PR, Omni games, one must be a member of Flyertalk for 180 days & have 180 posts. Once you meet both criteria you will have access to Omni.

BTW - this thread has nothing to do w/ Omni, so you might want to post in an Omni-related one within this forum although the answer is the same.

Cheers.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: united, delta, british
"OMNI is the place for vibrant dialogue on topics unrelated to miles, points, and travel. It is fascinating reading and provides quite a bit of humor and entertainment."

In order to access Omni, Omni PR, Omni games, one must be a member of Flyertalk for 180 days & have 180 posts. Once you meet both criteria you will have access to Omni.

BTW - this thread has nothing to do w/ Omni, so you might want to post in an Omni-related one within this forum although the answer is the same.

Cheers.
Well, I suppose any club that would have me as a member...
Old Feb 1, 2012, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bkcarolina
Well, I suppose any club that would have me as a member...
are you a relative of Groucho

Cheers.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
You are welcome. Not sure about me having sharper eyes though.

Apparently my eye sight is failing on a yearly basis. Reading FT is really putting a strain on my fragile eyes.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
So that I'm understanding.. this thread is just talk to develop the idea to consensus before sending to a vote..
Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
So that I'm understanding.. this thread is just talk to develop the idea to consensus before sending to a vote..
I guess you missed the part in the title that says "Voting Underway"...

BTW, this has received my vote in case anyone's curious.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:12 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
No, an actual vote is underway. Carol's speed has set an example. This TalkBoard has attempted to move expeditiously on several issues. Announcing vote results more quickly is consistent with that effort.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
No, they're voting on it. They moved very quickly on this.
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I guess you missed the part in the title that says "Voting Underway"...

BTW, this has received my vote in case anyone's curious.
Thanks, Rich!
Originally Posted by nsx
No, an actual vote is underway. Carol's speed has set an example. This TalkBoard has attempted to move expeditiously on several issues. Announcing vote results more quickly is consistent with that effort.
I at least appreciate that. Does your comment that announcing vote results more quickly is consistent mean that this has your vote?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.