Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Comments Welcome Voting Underway-Amend Talkboard Guidelines Voting Results Disclosure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comments Welcome Voting Underway-Amend Talkboard Guidelines Voting Results Disclosure

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
This is a great idea and I fully support it ^^
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:23 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mary2e
This is a great idea and I fully support it ^^
I also agree that this is step in the right direction and hope to see it come about.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:08 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kipper
I at least appreciate that. Does your comment that announcing vote results more quickly is consistent mean that this has your vote?
It indicates my current opinion in favor of the motion. I like to wait a while to vote so that any reasons I should change my mind have time to surface and be discussed. I don't feel comfortable voting until I'm sure that I have read and understood the very best arguments for the opposite opinion.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by nsx
It indicates my current opinion in favor of the motion. I like to wait a while to vote so that any reasons I should change my mind have time to surface and be discussed. I don't feel comfortable voting until I'm sure that I have read and understood the very best arguments for the opposite opinion.
Thank you. Saying that, and explaining why you don't vote quickly, is appreciated.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 3:39 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
While in principle, I agree with the motion, I did vote no because it does not (imho) go far enough-namely the fact that I believe public comment should close before a vote/voting period commences as imho, there is a lot of back and forth on an issue after an issue has been decided (either yes or no) but not yet published. I've posted elsewhere both publicly and privately that I'd like to see

...public discussion held, then closed and then have the vote take place as this would further eliminate the heated debate-and then if a motion passes or fails with the required number of votes before the voting period has ended, you could then post the results.

Public discussion opens
Public discussion held
Public discussion closes
Vote held
Vote results published

Yes, this might/could/would add time to the whole process but imho, it's a better way to go
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
No, they're voting on it. They moved very quickly on this.
Ok.. so when will we know the results?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:53 pm

The response to your question is the same each time you've asked it in every voting thread. It is in the first post. Have you even read it?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
The response to your question is the same each time you've asked it in every voting thread. It is in the first post. Have you even read it?
My questions were regarding the vote deadlines for the Omni and Games motions. I'm unaware until yesterday about the Voting results disclosure vote happening.. Will check the first post..
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
So that I'm understanding.. this thread is just talk to develop the idea to consensus before sending to a vote..
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I guess you missed the part in the title that says "Voting Underway"...

BTW, this has received my vote in case anyone's curious.
Originally Posted by nsx
No, an actual vote is underway. Carol's speed has set an example. This TalkBoard has attempted to move expeditiously on several issues. Announcing vote results more quickly is consistent with that effort.
No, they're voting on it. They moved very quickly on this.
Ok.. so when will we know the results?
My questions were regarding the vote deadlines for the Omni and Games motions. I'm unaware until yesterday about the Voting results disclosure vote happening.. Will check the first post..
Really?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Really?
Seems like a weird form of post padding to me.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:27 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Seems like a weird form of post padding to me.
Hey, if some people are allowed to do it, why not everyone?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by nsx
I like to wait a while to vote so that any reasons I should change my mind have time to surface and be discussed. I don't feel comfortable voting until I'm sure that I have read and understood the very best arguments for the opposite opinion.
+1 usually.

Which is also one reason I respectfully disagree w/ goalie that discussion should be shut down before voting. Someone might not have been aware of the discussion thread before lockdown, but would make a valid comment pro/con in the comments welcome/voting underway thread if they came across that and that comment(s) could possibly confirm or change my opinion. I also respect his voting no & his reasons for doing so.

Cheers.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:02 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
+1 usually.

Which is also one reason I respectfully disagree w/ goalie that discussion should be shut down before voting. Someone might not have been aware of the discussion thread before lockdown, but would make a valid comment pro/con in the comments welcome/voting underway thread if they came across that and that comment(s) could possibly confirm or change my opinion. I also respect his voting no & his reasons for doing so.

Cheers.
+1 to the reason to allow debate to continue. Besides, if somebody has something to say why not have it show up where it belongs rather than in an unrelated thread?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:39 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
If it is timely end to rancorous debate we seek, we should support this proposal.

There are some (me included) who will continue to debate an issue after it has been settled.

Most people are wise enough to conclude rancorous debate when there is no longer a chance of changing the outcome.

So if the goal is to end rancorous debate asap, then letting posters know as soon as possible that the outcome is no longer in doubt will move you in that direction.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 1:13 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
+1 usually.

Cheers.
and

But using your example of a member not being aware of the thread "until now" imho, they ain't gonna be happy if the results have already been posted .

I know we can't hand hold and we do our best to make members aware of TB issues but it still is a horse to water and drinking issue which is why i think that if the word does get out that the change will be as I've mentioned, the process would run smoother-and if one doesn't like the results, then they are free to start a thread discussing how to change it but again, to me, it's a waste of time and effort to keep discussing something that has already been decided. I know I'm not doing a really good job of explaining it but simply posting the "pass/fail" when the required numbers are in is a dis-service.

Just my two hockey pucks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.