Motion Passed - Posts Count in All FT Forums

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Motion Passed - Posts Count in All FT Forums

Moved by RichMSN and seconded by kokonutz:

"TalkBoard recommends that all posts posted anywhere on FlyerTalk (including OMNI, OMNI/PR, and Coupon Connection) count towards a member's post count”

This vote will close on January 19, 2012 at 1:42 pm or after all TalkBoard members have registered their vote, whichever comes first.

Per the TalkBoard Guidelines:

A motion shall pass if at least two-thirds of the yes or no votes cast by TalkBoard members are ‘yes’ and a majority of the total TalkBoard membership votes 'yes.'

The purpose of posting voting topics in the public TalkBoard Topics forum is to solicit member feedback on any motions that are up for a vote and to allow for comments after a vote is made. It is at the sole discretion of the individual TalkBoard members whether they choose to post in the public discussion thread, there being no requirement to do so.

So while there is already a thread and discussion on this general topic and it is safe to assume that TalkBoard members have reviewed that thread, this thread is about this specific motion.

Please feel free to post questions, comments or any other sort of feedback in this thread.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

For those who already thought that posts posted in all FT forums, that is not the case. Currently Omni, Omni PR & Coupon Connection are excluded from post counts. This motion changes that and means post counts would then be consistent across all FT forums.

Cheers.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

For those who want some history on why Omni and Omni PR were excluded from post counts previously, these two discussion threads provide input, pro/con. Please note they are long & in some cases, popcorn is required

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...edit-omni.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...s-omni-pr.html

Cheers.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:53 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Are we going to be made to waltz this little dance after each and every TB election?

I like to believe there is merit to stability?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
Are we going to be made to waltz this little dance after each and every TB election?

I like to believe there is merit to stability?
Both times when it was discussed & voted on previously by TB, it lost only by 1 vote. So obviously there's support for the idea.

BTW - I don't get the stability comment. If anything, that would support the idea, which is consistency in post counts across all forums. If you've got reasons why you think Omni, Omni PR and Coupon Connection should be excluded from post counts, please post them.

Cheers.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:16 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Both times when it was discussed & voted on previously by TB, it lost only by 1 vote. So obviously there's support for the idea.

BTW - I don't get the stability comment. If anything, that would support the idea, which is consistency in post counts across all forums. If you've got reasons why you think Omni, Omni PR and Coupon Connection should be excluded from post counts, please post them.

Cheers.
Sharon, the ink is bearly dry on last year's vote. Isn't the decision fairly reached by the 2011 Talkboard deserving of greater respect. Sure, there may be credibility in this proposal if some material change in FT could be demonstrated but this has not been presented to the membership thus far.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Prospero
Sharon, the ink is bearly dry on last year's vote. Isn't the decision fairly reached by the 2011 Talkboard deserving of greater respect. Sure, there may be credibility in this proposal if some material change in FT could be demonstrated but this has not been presented to the membership thus far.
there was just an election, and a vote passing term limits

if any of the newly elected TB have been clear on their position on this, that could have been a factor in their election
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:29 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
there was just an election, and a vote passing term limits

if any of the newly elected TB have been clear on their position on this, that could have been a factor in their election
Indeed, elections have consequences.

I, for one, have been anti 'a-post-theid' since Randy randomly implemented it out of the blue one day.

It makes even less sense now than when Randy did that, given the popularity and proliferation of Lounge and Penalty Box threads that are basically OMNI but count. Then Randy's post-inflation contests in communitybuzz made a mockery of his own unilateral decision anyway.

This issue was a major issue in my platform running for TB, and I am happy to have seconded the question and already voted in the affirmative for it.

Time to end the ghetto-ization of OMNIs and CC.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
OMG, back to all the hideous counting games filling up the front page of OMNI again. Why do you hate OMNI so much?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I fully support it.

However, I am with Jenbel, the counting games have to go. I think a new games forum that does not count should be implemented to hold intentional post-padding threads such as the counting/games and contests.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:48 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Will this be retroactive to capture all post made? or only going forward?

If post counts are going to remain public, I fully support all posts counting.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jenbel
OMG, back to all the hideous counting games filling up the front page of OMNI again. Why do you hate OMNI so much?
As opposed worthless 'fly with me' contest posts, Good Morning Box/Lounge posts, etc!?

Solutions should be tailored to problems. If games start to clutter OMNI, we can address that actual issue with a games forum rather than using the fear of games as an excuse to continue randomly-implemented apostheid. @:-)
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by kokonutz
As opposed worthless 'fly with me' contest posts, Good Morning Box/Lounge posts, etc!?

Solutions should be tailored to problems. If games start to clutter OMNI, we can address that actual issue with a games forum rather than using the fear of games as an excuse to continue randomly-implemented apostheid. @:-)
And those who refuse to learn from history are destined to repeat it - sadly, it's the OMNIites who suffer while those who supposedly represent our interests do.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jenbel
And those who refuse to learn from history are destined to repeat it - sadly, it's the OMNIites who suffer while those who supposedly represent our interests do.
Um...I'm an OMNIite....

...are you calling me a masochist!?

Seriously though, if games become a nuisance in OMNI, I'd have no problem creating a separate forum for them. Because that is a solution tailored to an actual problem. Not counting OMNI post counts may or may not keep folks from playing games there, but even assuming that it does it is a solution that is far too broad for the alleged problem.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Um...I'm an OMNIite....

...are you calling me a masochist!?

Seriously though, if games become a nuisance in OMNI, I'd have no problem creating a separate forum for them. Because that is a solution tailored to an actual problem. Not counting OMNI post counts may or may not keep folks from playing games there, but even assuming that it does it is a solution that is far too broad for the alleged problem.
And of course, we could create a games forum and still have those posts count, too. It would certainly fix the problem of "cluttering up OMNI," wouldn't it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.