Wiki Posts
Search

Covid19: Swiss refunds after cancellation

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2020, 12:59 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Why would you file for EU261 compensation?

This is something different than the full refund.
Old May 14, 2020, 2:38 am

Programs: LH SEN
Interesting article (in German)

Swiss must refund cancelled flights by September 30

They have to refund cancelled flights if they want to receive state aid
Happy likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Where did he mention compensation?
He was speaking about the EU261 refund.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:45 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by warakorn
I've never heard it being called EU261 refund, furthermore there is no page to request a refund, so I suppose he meant the EU261 compensation website which for his purposes is the wrong thing.
Old May 14, 2020, 11:29 am
Suspended

I've never heard it being called EU261 refund
Article 8 of EU261 guarantees a full cash refund in case of a airline-induced cancellation regardless of extraordinary circumstances.
Happy likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 12:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Article 8 of EU261 guarantees a full cash refund in case of a airline-induced cancellation regardless of extraordinary circumstances.
I know EU261 and said article, however the fact remains that I still have never seen anybody refer to this as EU261 refund. It's just a technicaliy and I just wanted to make sure that OP wouldn't accidentally confuse the webpage related to EU261 compensation, as to apply for the refund he needs to phone in or write an email or have his/her TA do it.
Old May 14, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: HHonorsGold, MarriottPlat, BAEC Gold, FlyingBlue Silver
After 2 written communications with LX about my 2 A-class tickets to DEL, I didn’t get clarity from them as to when refunds will be processed. With that I went to Amex for a chargeback. Initially Amex caused some confusion, as they believed that EC261 doesn’t apply to Swiss. Once that was clarified, the chargeback was processed immediately.
I have now also filed a complaint about this with our national aviation authorities, as they will only take action towards an airline after multiple complaints about the same behavior.
For me, Swiss could have avoided this by
1) offering rebooking into same booking class without a 50% supplement
2) offering an attractive bonus to take a voucher and refund after the voucher expiry
3) giving clarity as to when the refund would be processed
Only by also filing a complaint with the national aviation authorities about this, there’s a chance that they will be reprimanded about this poor conduct and structural ignorance of EC261
https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites...ent_bodies.pdf
Happy likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 2:12 pm
Suspended

FOCA (Swiss Federal Office of Civil Aviation) is not going to lift a finger its Swiss Airlines.
It's good that the Amex chargeback worked out. Just look out that Swiss doesn't try a representment of the charge.

What Swiss is counting on -> People will forget what Swiss is doing here - and in 2022 it's business as usual.
Old May 14, 2020, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nick Art

This is something different than the full refund.
Correct.

I've never heard it being called EU261 refund, furthermore there is no page to request a refund, so I suppose he meant the EU261 compensation website which for his purposes is the wrong thing.
That is why I asked if LX has a screen for one to fine an EU261 refund request. Even Ryanair has such a function on its website when in 2018 they canceled flights due to Italian airtraffic controller strike. I filed the EU261 thru Ryanair. Full refund came within a week.

I know EU261 and said article, however the fact remains that I still have never seen anybody refer to this as EU261 refund. It's just a technicaliy and I just wanted to make sure that OP wouldn't accidentally confuse the webpage related to EU261 compensation, as to apply for the refund he needs to phone in or write an email or have his/her TA do it.
The travel agency has already sent TWO email requests to LX Travel Agency dept and has received squat.

A simple google led me to this screen on LX site.

https://www.swiss.com/ch/EN/customer...nsation-check#

Checking a claim for compensation in the event of flight delay or cancellation

If your SWISS flight arrives more than three hours late or is cancelled, you can check your right to claim compensation by using this online form in accordance with Art. 7 EC No. 261/2004.
It is not a way to file for refund, but still it said to check for eligibility.

I hope the German government's new stance to require LX refunding customer in order to get state aid would eventually make a difference.

Lesson to take away here is, whenever dealing with International airlines, dont ever give them any benefit of doubt because the full service ones sometimes behave worse than the LCCs. Also if the flights do not touch US soil (which would get US DOT protection), do not use reward program redemption (not mileage tickets but bank's reward program). Instead, pay with own credit card therefore should the airlines play foul, file a charge back prompto.

Last edited by Happy; May 14, 2020 at 7:09 pm
Old May 14, 2020, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FOCA (Swiss Federal Office of Civil Aviation) is not going to lift a finger its Swiss Airlines.
It's good that the Amex chargeback worked out. Just look out that Swiss doesn't try a representment of the charge.

What Swiss is counting on -> People will forget what Swiss is doing here - and in 2022 it's business as usual.
Not for this flyer, no way.
TEDisgone likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 12:01 am

Programs: HHonorsGold, MarriottPlat, BAEC Gold, FlyingBlue Silver
Complaints at the official body might not work in Switzerland, but where I live the government just retracted the relaxed enforcement guidelines and instructed our aviation authority to investigate and enforce again in case of complaints.
Never say never, but I’d be extremely cautious to book any Swiss (or Lufthansa Group) flight again.
nufnuf77 and TEDisgone like this.
Old May 15, 2020, 8:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I definitely won't be spending any cash with LX/LH again - short haul redemptions on points is the only "currency" they'll be getting from me in the future. And that's if they are the only option.
Old May 17, 2020, 5:44 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
It sounds like it will be foolish to book a June to Oct flight that currently shows available if it ends up being cancelled and an interest free loan to LX. I am a BA frequent flyer with status but there is a lack of flights within my timeframe. However, I suspect LX will make my life difficult if it cancels. If it flies non issue but I want a refund not a credit and certainly not a long term interest free loan while LX decides when to credit me after cancelling. Not that BA cares more (only silver status but spending around $13k each year for the last 10 years) so at least I can state I am a loyal customer (not that it makes any difference of course).
Old May 17, 2020, 8:07 am
Suspended

Complaints at the official body might not work in Switzerland,
Probably the head of Swiss and the head of FOCA each served in the same regiment of the Swiss military. Of course, they'll always help out each other.
The German federal transport minister "Be'Scheuer't" seems to have a cozy relationship with Spohr.
Old May 17, 2020, 8:10 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Entitled to be ahead of the curve in the event LX seeks creditor protection

Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
I am slightly taken aback by the replies here bashing the OP who, as far as I can tell, is asking for a refund for which he is legally entitled to.
We FTers love to moan about how LX and the ZRH head office is very arrogant, resisting refunds with all sorts of bogus excuses during good times etc.
Yes, these are hard times for airlines, but also for individuals!! People are dying, falling ill, losing jobs etc. The lucky ones are 'just' facing reduced income. Saying that s/he chose to part with the money in the first place and should suck it up because LX is suffering is beside the point. S/he entered into a business transaction with LX with certain rules that both sides should abide by. If the extraordinary circumstances warrant a waiver for any aspect of the conditions of contract, it is up to the courts to decide, not LX or the passenger.
Don't forget, LH Group is a highly profitable business and ruthless in trying to eliminate competitors in their markets (using excuses like the environment to argue that government backed airlines are harmful, puh-leez)
How far does a passenger get when we want to "bend" or "break" the airline rules? NOWHERE. I understand my money may be an interest free loan to LX but LX "ain't done my any favours" in the past as a for profit business. LX cannot pick and choose which rules apply at a given time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.