Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid19: Swiss refunds after cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2020, 12:37 pm

after my flight with LX flight being cancelled, I waited 20 days. Then I claimed for a credit card charge back claim with AMEX in Switzerland. Got my money on my account today... just 10 days after the claim. Extremely disappointed with LX, my national airline. AMEX offered great service to solve the issue very quickly and efficiently.
LX/LH just give vague robotic answers on social media. I would like to thank some of the users on this forum who suggested a charge back as I wasn't aware this was possible 8 months after a purchase.
Happy likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 1:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Happy
I dont know how the chargeback can work - assuming you do not use your credit card to pay for it but book with UR points. There is no way for you to initiate a charge back, because Chase UR Reward / Expedia does not initiate a charge back on individual bookings using UR pts. All they can do is to verify the airlines have refunded back to the Ultimate Reward card, then they refund the equivalent points to your account.

Your rep has the identical experience as the rep I got - LX required the travel agency to send an email to request refund. Dont hold your breadth on the charge back part which there has not a single DP that is possible if your booking is with Ultimate Points.
You know, I hadn't even thought about the UR points part of the equation because I forgot that I used some to bring down the cost of my ticket (the cash portion is still significant and I would thoroughly appreciate getting that back). We'll see how this all plays out. I was startled to get an email today from Swiss asking "Are you ready for your next flight?" with my full itinerary looking like everything was still scheduled and good to go!
Old Apr 27, 2020, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
For those who've been following my saga, my credit card chargeback was approved and credited to my account today (roughly ~30 days after filing my dispute).
Very good news! We can only hope that the acquirer bank of Swiss is cancelling their merchant account. You are most likely not the only one requesting a chargeback.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 5:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
My original chargeback apparently got a reply from swiss that it was not justified. I called amex and submitted LX conditions of carriage 10.2 (invol refunds) as well as EC261 copy. 14 days and LX hasnt replied to this additional piece of challenge.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
LX to receive 1.5 billion CHF in state aid (in German)

https://abouttravel.ch/reisebranche/...ilfe-erhalten/
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
It's outrageous how capitalism is getting distorted...
Old Apr 29, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, Accor Gold
Called Swiss to ask to change dates for two bookings in J and one in F. Notwithstanding I've given them thousands of my euros, they are asking for many more ...

I was expecting a bit more flexibility in changing dates for J/F class ... outrageous.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 8:16 am

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by Danusa86
Called Swiss to ask to change dates for two bookings in J and one in F. Notwithstanding I've given them thousands of my euros, they are asking for many more ...

I was expecting a bit more flexibility in changing dates for J/F class ... outrageous.
Were your flights cancelled?
Old Apr 29, 2020, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by montezume
Were your flights cancelled?
One of them yes (end of May to Delhi).

The other two not yet, but one of them was originally scheduled for February, cancelled due to covid-19 and moved to June ("to be safe"). The other one is in August so not cancelled yet.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 11:36 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by florens
LX to receive 1.5 billion CHF in state aid (in German)

https://abouttravel.ch/reisebranche/...ilfe-erhalten/
To clarify / correct this based on the official communication by the Swiss Federal Government today:
  • LX does not get any state aid aka "free money"
  • LX and WK can apply for emergency loans of up to CHF1.5bn from banks UBS and Credit Suisse, at terms to be negotiated between private businesses
  • The Swiss government will act as a guarantor for 85% of these loans (CHF1.3bn)
Source
oliver2002 and mmff like this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:28 pm

I talked too quickly. Received my charge back for a flight that was cancelled with LX. In the end,2 days later, LX refused the refund... meaning I am back to square 1.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by jerrytravel
I talked too quickly. Received my charge back for a flight that was cancelled with LX. In the end,2 days later, LX refused the refund... meaning I am back to square 1.
wait, you mean AMEX processed your charge back without waiting to LX's answer and LX then refused, and therefore AMEX withdrew the charge back?
well, knowing the modus operandi of LX, won't they just refuse ANY charge back attempt and hold on to our money?!
Old May 1, 2020, 1:06 am

''you mean AMEX processed your charge back without waiting to LX's answer and LX then refused, and therefore AMEX withdrew the charge back?'' exactly this!
taking into account my flight was in C-class, it's a certain amount of money... Let's wait for a few months now...
Old May 1, 2020, 6:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
What LX did was to represent the charge. Obviously LX has no right to charge the card again. I would fight that representment.
Happy likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 6:43 am

Still nothing from Swiss. They called back yesterday to say that in order to change date for my J flight to DEL (outbound already cancelled) I'd have to pay an extra 650 euros, while to change date for my F flight to PEK (originally scheduled in Feb. changed to beginning of June following the beginning of the crisis, on their suggestion, and changed for free), the extra cost would be 3200 euros. But they've been generous and discounted 50 euros from each ...

I complained and they have escalated my request to the HQ.

I'm waiting to be contacted again ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.