Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid19: Swiss refunds after cancellation

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2020, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It just escalates. Amex sends you a demand to pay, you refuse. You get a debt collection agency hounding you. You refuse. Eventually you find that Amex has filed a claim in your local jurisdiction. You may be happy for this to play out because you think you're going to win, but there's a good chance you'll lose. Amex will claim that it is just a middleman, passing money from you to Swiss, and that you need to pay because it has paid Swiss. That Swiss won't give Amex the money back is not Amex's problem, it is your problem. You're likely going to lose, after which you can try to recover the money from Swiss. And that's another court case. I agree you have a case with Swiss, but not with Amex.
mmff likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 10:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by cbourl
PM me i had PDF screenshot of this saying refund is possibel
Just dont expect too much! This has turned into a boozeup in a brewery
I have a pdf download from the swiss website showing refunds allowed in case of cancellations as well, if anyone needs.
Old May 26, 2020, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Amex will claim that it is just a middleman, passing money from you to Swiss, and that you need to pay because it has paid Swiss. That Swiss won't give Amex the money back is not Amex's problem, it is your problem.
Do you really think that AMEX is really interested to putting its chargeback process to under judicial review?
In the UK there is Section 75.

Just a "middlemen" has already initiated a chargeback, which Swiss is fighting with a bogus argument. And after that AMEX is just claiming it has paid Swiss?
If I were AMEX, I would be nervous.
Old May 26, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
I had a charge back done with Amex for a Swiss flight. They did say that after paying me out that Swiss could still claim however as of today there is nothing heard.
Old May 26, 2020, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I have a pdf download from the swiss website showing refunds allowed in case of cancellations as well, if anyone needs.
Can you send me this PDF?

Last edited by Random471; May 26, 2020 at 1:33 pm
Old May 26, 2020, 1:32 pm

Hello everyone. (I think I've post this message wrongly in two other sub-forum, sorry if you read my message in other sub-forum) :/

As many here I got my flight with Swiss airlines cancelled in middle of April. My flight was BERLIN-ZURICH ZURICH-BERLIN

As soon as I got the email I request the refund and I patiently wait for 7 days.

On 8th day, I contacted my bank and started the chargeback process, wait for another 30 days and got I reply that my chargeback os denied because of. Swiss airlines send some receipts, including one that I agreed with terms and conditions, and based on their my request didn`t make any sense. And after telling my bank that I had nothing to do with the cancellation they replied me that a recent VISA policy change didn't allow them to continue with the chargeback and they close the case:

Unfortunately, there was a recent update in the regulations Visa, which expresses that if one service was cancelled due to one governmental law, restriction or prohibition and the Merchant is providing a Voucher, Credit or reasonable alternative, then, we do not have chargeback rights in order to go further with the claim in Visa. As a consequence of this, regrettably, we cannot continue pursuing the claim further for those charges because we do not have chargeback rights to continue the process in Visa.
So I thought, OK, I might use this money travelling anyway, let's get the voucher. Easy, right? no:

Partially used ticket
Your ticket cannot be processed online but remains valid. Please contact our Service Center to change your booking if you know your new travel requirements.
After discussing this with Swiss airlines for sometime I got the following messages
Hi, thank you for your inquiry and patience. After reviewing the details of your reservation, it seems that a chargeback request was made directly with your bank regarding the booking number A1B2C3D4. Therefore, the ticket status is not showing an open segment. We hope this clarifies. Kind regards, ...
Hi, apologies for the late response.Please contact your Bank as the transaction has been cancelled. Regards, ...
Hi, please note that the ticket was suspended as per previous advise. In this case, then the last say will be with your bank .You will need to contact them for further information regarding your refund. Hope that this clarify. Kind regards, ....
Anyway, I've sent a message to my bank, let's see what is their reply. I just wanted to know if there's anyone in a similar situation and what was the outcome.
Old May 26, 2020, 2:20 pm

I think they are trying to create as many problems for people doing chargebacks, as they possibly can, hoping that those people like yourself will go to forums like this one and post about it - this way they can deter people from doing chargebacks, and force them to take the voucher and give them the free loan.

Very very wrong. But the bullying and scare tactic is certainly working with me. I decided not to do chargebacks against Swiss, after headaches with other airlines. I requested a refund from them and might still take the voucher when I can use it before they pay me.
Old May 26, 2020, 2:22 pm

PS - the refunds games are just another drop in the full barrel. They already lost much of my business, and they are losing every single flight where I have a choice to not fly them. I was a SEN / TC Gold since the 90ies. And I am now FTL only by accident. The stupid kind that requalified 2019 and got nothing now. Many airlines are bad, but this one is ethically by far the worst, in my humble opinion.
Happy and MOZBOB like this.
Old May 26, 2020, 2:39 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by Random471
Hello everyone. (I think I've post this message wrongly in two other sub-forum, sorry if you read my message in other sub-forum) :/

As many here I got my flight with Swiss airlines cancelled in middle of April....
LX is being truly despicable with these actions, but sadly they don't appear to be the only ones.

If only there were a consumer advocacy agency who could represent and protect the interests of individual customers like us. Oh wait, the EU has one but is apparently powerless...
Old May 26, 2020, 4:35 pm
Suspended

There is an easy way out - Sue Swiss!
Old May 26, 2020, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Lawsuit against a major company and "easy" in the same sentence....

Unfortunately, time (spent in legal tussles) is money, too.
mmff likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 11:52 pm

Swiss BAZL changed its position. If you have the time I think it now makes sense to file a complaint. Still they seem to sympathise with long processing times.

Wenn Sie mit der Antwort der Fluggesellschaft nicht zufrieden sind oder innerhalb von 2 Monaten keine Antwort von der Fluggesellschaft erhalten, können Sie eine Anzeige beim BAZL einreichen. Gestützt auf Ihre Anzeige werden wir Ihren Fall evaluieren und eine Stellungnahme bei der Fluggesellschaft einholen. Wir weisen in diesem Zusammenhang darauf hin, dass wir Anzeigen nach ihrem Eingang bearbeiten. Die Gespräche auf EU Ebene haben ergeben, dass der Passagier auch in der Covid-19 Situation die Rückerstattung der Ticketkosten gemäss Art. 8 der Verordnung verlangen kann. Entsprechend muss Ihnen die Fluggesellschaft die Ticketkosten zurückerstatten, wenn Sie keinen Gutschein möchten. Zurzeit sind aufgrund der ausserordentlichen Situation sehr viele Anfragen bei den Fluggesellschaften hängig, was zu einer längeren Bearbeitungszeit führt. Sie finden das BAZL-Meldeformular unter folgendem Link: http://www.bazl.admin.ch/pax-onlineformular

Originally Posted by f4free
I conclude there is nothing to do but wait. It's wrong and unlawful, and even the Airlines admit it.

Nevertheless credit companies and governments have sided with airlines to keep them alive.

Passenger options are limited. Lawsuits will take months or years, and enforcing the 7 day refund rule in court is pointless. After many months, just before the hearing, they would just refund and the case is out. Or they go bankrupt before... And you can get in line.

Below an email I got from BAZL in Switzerland, the federal office enforcing the EU rules. Hopeless. They say: Wait 2 months then write again or sue them.

---------- Forwarded message ---------Von: <[email protected]>Date: Do., DD. Apr. 2020, HH.MMSubject: AW: (ARILINE) verweigert Rückerstattung Sehr geehrter Herr f4free Wir nehmen Ihre Meldung zur Kenntnis. Die Verordnung (EG) Nr. 261/2004 gibt dem Passagier die Möglichkeit, bei annulliertem Flug eine Ticketkostenrückerstattung zu verlangen. Aufgrund der durch Covid-19 verursachten aussergewöhnlichen Situation bieten die Fluggesellschaften als weitere Option Fluggutscheine an. Der Passagier kann sich für diese Option entscheiden. Zurzeit sind auf europäischer Ebene Gespräche im Gang, ob anstelle der Ticketkostenrückerstattung auch Gutscheine ausgegeben werden können. Eine Anpassung der Verordnung in diesem Punkt wird diskutiert und die Schweiz wird die neue Regelung im Rahmen des bilateralen Luftverkehrsabkommens auf dem hierfür vorgesehenen Weg über den Gemischten Ausschuss übernehmen. Ungeachtet dessen können Sie eine Anzeige beim BAZL einreichen. Bis zur Klärung der rechtlichen Situation auf europäischer Ebene setzt das BAZL jedoch momentan Sanktionsverfahren betreffend Ticketkostenrückerstattung aus. Wir weisen an dieser Stelle darauf hin, dass Sie ihre Forderungen gegen Fluggesellschaften, wozu auch die Rückerstattung der Ticketkosten gehört, bei den Zivilgerichten einklagen können. Bitte kontaktieren Sie zuerst die Fluggesellschaft, um die Wahlmöglichkeiten zu prüfen. Aufgrund der besonderen Situation gehen zurzeit ausserordentlich viele Anfragen bei den Fluggesellschaften ein, weshalb die Bearbeitungsdauer länger als üblicherweise sein kann. Falls Sie mit dem Angebot der Fluggesellschaft nicht zufrieden sind oder innerhalb von 2 Monaten keine Antwort von der Fluggesellschaft erhalten, können Sie das BAZL-Meldeformular unter folgendem Link ausfüllen: http://www.bazl.admin.ch/pax-onlineformular Mit freundlichen Grüssen Bundesamt für Zivilluftfahrt Team Passenger RightsSection Economic Affairs Federal Department of the Environment,Transport, Energy and Communications DETECFederal Office of Civil Aviation FOCAAviation Policy and Strategy Mühlestrasse 2, CH-3063 Ittigen, Postal address: CH-3003 BernTel: +41 (0)58 465 95 96 mail to [email protected] www.aviation.admin.ch
Old May 27, 2020, 12:30 am

Programs: HHonorsGold, MarriottPlat, BAEC Gold, FlyingBlue Silver
Originally Posted by f4free
Swiss BAZL changed its position. If you have the time I think it now makes sense to file a complaint. Still they seem to sympathise with long processing times.
That’s good news and indeed now also in Switzerland makes it worthwhile to go through the steps of filing a complaint!
I’ve filed a complaint about it in my country and I’m more than happy to provide additional information, just in case Swiss starts to dispute my chargeback. I really think everyone should do, so that they potentially get sanctioned in multiple countries for this.

I can understand longer handling times and other airlines said the same. For example BA told me that my refund might take a little longer, nevertheless my card was credited in less than a week. Swiss however isn’t processing any refunds at all and they’re even openly saying it.....to me no processing at all is very different to longer processing times.
Old May 27, 2020, 2:49 am
Suspended

Lawsuit against a major company and "easy" in the same sentence....

Unfortunately, time (spent in legal tussles) is money, too.
No! There is no legal argument the airline can put forward to fight your claim in a court of law.

As shown here -> Lufthansa is usually paying as soon as a lawsuit has been filed against them.

https://www.rechteindeutig.de/luftha...klageerhebung/
Old May 27, 2020, 2:52 am
Suspended

Zurzeit sind aufgrund der ausserordentlichen Situation sehr viele Anfragen bei den Fluggesellschaften hängig, was zu einer längeren Bearbeitungszeit führt.
This is of course BS.
Swiss and the Lufthansa Group Airlines are fighting chargeback - in cases, where they are legally obliged to pay a cash refund. So, Swiss is putting in resources to fight the chargebacks.
If there was a genuine issue about huge refund backlogs and the lack of staff to process the refunds -> ok, I would buy it.
But in a situation where Swiss/Lufthansa are fighting justified chargeback claims with bogus arguments, I won't buy it.
florens likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.