Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Beijing General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beijing General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2008, 2:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tedhl
They mentioned moving me to the Sheraton Great Wall, but didn't mention about the rate - does it mean that they are expecting me to pay the same rate ?
While it goes without saying that you should haggle, the renovated rooms at the Great Wall are actually quite nice. Plus, I like their "best available" language; if you press them on this (bring a copy of the email), the presidential suite (rarely booked these days) could be yours.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 3:16 am
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
oh, just read from the St Regis BJ master thread that it seems like that hotel is still under renovation ? so it seems like there's not much choice for me anyway...unless I choose the Grand Hyatt instead. but I'd also like to follow up with Westin Chaoyang first whether they're expecting me to pay the same premium for a newer + higher Cat hotel when they move me to the older + lower Cat Great Wall...
Old Jun 29, 2008, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by tedhl
oh, just read from the St Regis BJ master thread that it seems like that hotel is still under renovation ? so it seems like there's not much choice for me anyway...unless I choose the Grand Hyatt instead. but I'd also like to follow up with Westin Chaoyang first whether they're expecting me to pay the same premium for a newer + higher Cat hotel when they move me to the older + lower Cat Great Wall...
Ever try Westin Financial Street in Beijing? I quite like that hotel, but location may be not as convenient. Every time I've stayed there, I have been upgraded to a Renewal Suite or better, even on my corporate rate as low at RMB 900/night.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 5:42 am
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
yes I stayed at the Westin Financial Street a few times too, quite like it...but this time the location isn't too convenient for my meeting, esp given BJ's unpredictable traffic...
Old Jun 30, 2008, 1:08 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Regarding Westin Chaoyang

Hi all,

Looks like there is a delay due to several permits from the local authorities. The property is expecting to open latest next week but they are anticipating another delay due to the same issue.

Thank you and have a great week ahead.

[email protected]
Old Jun 30, 2008, 2:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Ever try Westin Financial Street in Beijing? I quite like that hotel, but location may be not as convenient. Every time I've stayed there, I have been upgraded to a Renewal Suite or better, even on my corporate rate as low at RMB 900/night.
I stayed at Westin Financial Street recently and was not impressed. No upgrade (hotel was half empty), and lousy concierge service via email before stay. The location is bad if you are not doing business in the area; getting anywhere by taxi can take up to an hour because of traffic in the area. Also none of my points posted, including the 500 pt. amenity...just icing on the cake. I'm not sure how good the alternatives are, but this place isn't great, IMHO.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by MikeBOS
I stayed at Westin Financial Street recently and was not impressed. No upgrade (hotel was half empty), and lousy concierge service via email before stay. The location is bad if you are not doing business in the area; getting anywhere by taxi can take up to an hour because of traffic in the area. Also none of my points posted, including the 500 pt. amenity...just icing on the cake. I'm not sure how good the alternatives are, but this place isn't great, IMHO.
I've had very good luck there this year and on an even lower corporate rate. Reasonable upgrades, etc. I agree the Concierge service is somewhat lacking. I found it to be more of a communications issue. But, the staff in the club lounge are great and extremely helpful. F&B is good. Gym and swimming pool are good. Just wish they didn't have so many tour groups in the place, all wearing their name tags and clogging up the lifts.

About the traffic and location. I've found the worst times are trying to get back to the hotel in the evenings if the taxi driver wants to take the main east-west road through the middle of town. Otherwise, it's been ~30 minutes hotel to office or client.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 6:02 am

Programs: SPG Plat, CO Gold, AA Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Citigroup Chairman
Financial Street--One of the best hotel experiences ever

I would heartily recommend the financial street westin.

I emailed before arrival as I was celebrating an anniversary. Here is what was waiting for me:
1. Upgraded to a huge suite with great amenities
2. Rose petals on the bed in a the shape of a heart
3. 2 Dozen roses brought up to the room
4. A cheescake, Chocolates, and other goodies brought to the room
5. A bottle of Veuve Cliquot (NV) brought up to the room
All of this was complimentary
In addition, the lounge was fantastic and the staff were extraordinarily nice and made all sorts of efforts to make our stay wonderful. They knew who we were and kept on checking on us.

It's convenient to the subway and we used that during rush hours. Not all that unpleasant if you're used to public transportation.

Honestly, this is one of the better hotel experiences I have ever had. I recommend staying here if you're anywhere near Beijing.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 3:21 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by jayzee9
I would heartily recommend the financial street westin.

I emailed before arrival as I was celebrating an anniversary. Here is what was waiting for me:
1. Upgraded to a huge suite with great amenities
2. Rose petals on the bed in a the shape of a heart
3. 2 Dozen roses brought up to the room
4. A cheescake, Chocolates, and other goodies brought to the room
5. A bottle of Veuve Cliquot (NV) brought up to the room
All of this was complimentary
In addition, the lounge was fantastic and the staff were extraordinarily nice and made all sorts of efforts to make our stay wonderful. They knew who we were and kept on checking on us.

It's convenient to the subway and we used that during rush hours. Not all that unpleasant if you're used to public transportation.

Honestly, this is one of the better hotel experiences I have ever had. I recommend staying here if you're anywhere near Beijing.
I fully agree. A stay there a few months ago was a delightful experience. The club lounge is one of the best I've experienced. The room upgrade on a points stay was a great bonus. We did not find the location at all a problem. An unqualified recommendation.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
St. Regis - Recent Stay and Platinum Gust Amenities

I returned from a three night stay at the St. Regis today which was remarkable. I had booked a Statesman Suite under the BRG for an offer found on Expedia, they upgraded me to a St. Regis suite, a very nice two room suite with two huge flatscreens, a huge and well equipped bathroom and nicely furnished (--28 room type). I had the feeling that there was still some renovation going on, light work. From the elevators you could see that they rarely (or never) went to a floor higher than 12.

Interesting enough the have a printed menu for Platinum amenities:
  • Preferred Platinum Amenity
  • Two Bottles of Evian
  • Seven Pieces of Pressing
  • Free Local Calls
  • One our Free Broadband in Business Center per Stay
  • Upgrade to Suite Upon Availability
  • Deluxe Fruit Basket
  • 4 pm Late Check out
Not published, they gave us drink cupons for four drinks a day, allegedly good for all drinks from the bar menu. Well, we did not try their 1000 Yuan malts but it was no problems with 85 Yuan fancy cocktails. On arrival, we found a bottle of Australian Shiraz in our suite, too.

Service was spotless, very caring and absolutely up to standard of a five star hotel.

What I found most remarkable: We had some service issues with F&B in two of the six or so restuarants of the hotel which were very serious from the perspective of a 5-Star-Hotel, maybe more amusing, amazing and unbelievable for us (a bit like being in candid camera, we were trying to make out where the film crew was located). To leave no doubt and without going into too much detail: The food was excellent, however, the approach and the training of the staff was far below standard. When complaining to the F&B manager by email, we got a response 8 am first thing in the morning next day, the gentleman was really nice, frank and caring and explained that they lost a number of very well trained staff during the renovation and had new hires but confirmed that this would be unacceptable for a 5-Star-Property. He promised to take action himself and I am sure he did. On spot and not even being asked for, he invited us to a dinner in their Italian restaurant which turned out to be more than excellent and very good even for top class Italian standards.

All in all: The location of this hotel is great and the “hardware” is great, too. They had some issues with the “software” but dealt with this in a remarkable and customer friendly open way. I am really impressed. Even if this hotel does not have a lounge (other than the Westin), the personal service approach, the rooms and the Platinum treatment were so much better. I am confident they will bring the staff up to standard. If so, the hotel can be one of the best locations in Beijing.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 5:51 pm

Westin--Financial or Chaoyang

I will be staying in Beijing for 5 nights, using points. Now that the Chaoyang is down to Cat 4, any suggestions for which to stay at. I'm not Plat, but I think both will upgrade to Renewal rooms for about 1000-1500 points per night. Financial seems closer to most tourist sites, but Chaoyang is closer to subway, great wall, and airport.

Any other thoughts are appreciated.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by cooperhs
I will be staying in Beijing for 5 nights, using points. Now that the Chaoyang is down to Cat 4, any suggestions for which to stay at. I'm not Plat, but I think both will upgrade to Renewal rooms for about 1000-1500 points per night. Financial seems closer to most tourist sites, but Chaoyang is closer to subway, great wall, and airport.

The Westin Financial Street is on the 2nd Ring Road West whereas the ChaoYang Westin is on the 3rd Ring Road East. Most of the city tourist sites are on a North-South line through the city. The Financial Street is closer. HouHai is a popular restaurant and bar district. The Financial Street is closer.

The Westin ChaoYang is in the active part of town. The CBD, so much as it exists. Most of the Embassies are between the 2nd and 3rd Ring Road East. Most Expats live there. The happening restaurants and night clubs are on that side of town. The Westin Financial Street isn't close to 'stuff'. It's quiet at night. It's where the Universities are and where senior officials, and in older days, courtesans lived. I think that makes it a nicer location. You'll be in a taxi in any instance.

Don't worry about the proximity to the Airport or Great Wall. It doesn't matter.

I haven't stayed at the ChaoYang yet, but I work in that area. It looks nice from the outside. I should probably ask if I can do a hotel exchange for a night or two on my corporate rate.

ETA: Just thought I'd add that I'm in the Financial Street Westin now and odds are I could be here when you visit. What time of year are you planning on coming?

Last edited by michswiss; Feb 24, 2009 at 8:08 am
Old Feb 25, 2009, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by cooperhs

I guess it depends on where your business takes you; but I find the Westin Financial Street location a bit far off from some of the tourist places that I have visited compared to the Westin Chaoyang - Embassy area, 798, Chaoyang park, Sanlitun & Bar street, Silk market (I may be biased since I live in that area)

I once had Sunday brunch at the Westin Financial and there was a lot of selection and atmosphere was great with many people - pricey though.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by doesun
Silk market
It's very easy to get to the Silk Market from the Westin Financial Street. It's just a few blocks to the metro, and the train stops right under the Silk Market. The total trip could be done in 15 minutes if you are a fast walker.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 7:44 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
I'm planning a first-time trip to Beijing, strictly as a tourist, and from reading this and the other threads it sounds like the Sheraton is pretty strongly advised against, and the Westin Chaoyang is a superior location to the Westin Financial District. How does the Westin Chaoyang compare to the St. Regis in terms of location?

I prefer to take public transport where possible, which sounds like it might favor the Westin, but I've also heard that public transport often doesn't suffice in Beijing so it may not matter much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.