Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Beijing General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beijing General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2004, 7:10 am

Programs: AC *E
We stayed at the St. Regis in September. Although there were some problems (they refused to believe the rate we had been confirmed through a Starwood Best Rate Guarantee and it took 3 days to finally convince them - we subsequently received an apology by e-mail from the manager) we found it to be very comfortable and well located for a visit to Beijing. The buffet breakfast was outstanding (a nice combination of Western, Chinese and Japanese) and competently made lattes and cappuccinos were included in the price (you have to ask). There is a pretty good Tibetan restaurant (Makye Ame) across the street - more yak dishes than you ever thought possible! Didn't try the lounge or gym - too much to see elsewhere!
Old Nov 12, 2004, 6:19 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Edited to answer my own question.

I just got upgraded to the Statesman Suite at the St. Regis Beijing.

The description of the room is as follows: 65Sqm,Large 2 Room Suite,Seperate Living And Bedrm Area,Lavi Sh Decor,Large Working Area&Dataport,Sep Shwr&Tub,2 Bathrms.

most of the staff even remembered me from my 5 night stay a week ago and welcomed my return! ^

Last edited by Motion122; Nov 14, 2004 at 8:53 pm
Old Feb 23, 2005, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Which starwood in Beijing?

Well, after finally securing a J ticket to PDG, I will be going to China for a couple of weeks in March/April.

I've already decided to stay at the Westin in Shangai, but what about Beijing? Which Starwood is best there?

The St. Regis seems nice, but am not sure about the area. I don't want to be in the middle of a business/ministry district. Any thoughts? What's the best bang per platinum buck in PEK?

ANy other thoughts on destinations in China? I am a bit ignorant about the country and any advice would be appreciated.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 4:02 pm
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
beijing is a large city, you'll be doing sightseeing by taxi or subway, not by foot, so area around st regis is not at all relevant, so given that the other choice is the sheraton grt wall, you'd better stay in the st regis.

on a similare note, china is a large country.. read a guide book like lonely planet for more info.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by GK
beijing is a large city, you'll be doing sightseeing by taxi or subway, not by foot, so area around st regis is not at all relevant, so given that the other choice is the sheraton grt wall, you'd better stay in the st regis.

on a similare note, china is a large country.. read a guide book like lonely planet for more info.

Well, that much I know. I live in Chinatown here, so everytime I ask a neighbor they send me to their hometown plus Shanghai (oddly, few mention Beijing as a destination...)

I guess I'll take the St. Regis. It's pretty steep though, especially on points. Aren't hotels in countries like China supposed to be reasonably priced?
Old Feb 23, 2005, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notsosmart
I guess I'll take the St. Regis. It's pretty steep though, especially on points. Aren't hotels in countries like China supposed to be reasonably priced?

Well, I just checked and it's not that bad on some of my dates. But still a bit more than I'd like to pay. The website sure makes it sound like a nice place - my last St. Regis experience didn't really match the hype.

Anyone know what the Platinum treatment is at this hotel? (Especially when reserving on points...)

Thanks
Old Feb 23, 2005, 5:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by notsosmart
Well, I just checked and it's not that bad on some of my dates. But still a bit more than I'd like to pay. The website sure makes it sound like a nice place - my last St. Regis experience didn't really match the hype.

Anyone know what the Platinum treatment is at this hotel? (Especially when reserving on points...)
The St. Regis is an excellent hotel. I would not hesitate to stay there again. Platinum treatment is solid. They have a lot of suites at this property. I've been upgraded to beautiful suites every time I've been there, whether paying with cash or points.

Beijing is a very busy, crowded city. There are many interesting things to see and after a busy day of sightseeing you will welcome the calm elegance of the St. Regis. I would definitely book it over the Great Wall Sheraton -- not even close.

I wish you could do an easy search, as there are some very detailed threads on this property. Come back after the search function is restored and read up on the area and options. You'll obviously have to make your reservations before then, but you can at least read what everyone has to say about the area, getting around, what to see, etc.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, *wood Plat
I've stayed at the St. Regis once, it was late at night and they upgraded me to the Presidental Suite. Seven rooms, butler, full bar, dining room that seats 12.

The Great Wall Sheraton is probably not the world's greatest hotel but very comfortable. They have always upgraded me to a small suite, been there at least 6 times. Always give PLT breakfast vouchers for restaurant, and restaurant is excellent (for breakfast). It's next door to the Hard Rock Cafe, in case you get tired of Chinese food. It's also close to stores where you can buy "Genuine Copies of Fake Ralph Lauren's" for under $10. It's also close to the restaurant that serves the best Peking Duck in Beijing.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 6:43 pm

Programs: AC *E
As was said before, there are a number of threads on the St. Regis. My comment is that it had one of the best buffet breakfasts I've ever had (although the Westin Palace in Milan was pretty good too ). Western, Chinese and Japanese. Unlimited expresso drinks, made very well. Attentive service. We generally would have a huge breakfast and skip lunch while sightseeing.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH/Bonvoy Gold, AA, WN CP
I'd vote for the St. Regis. I stayed there in 2001 and it was one of the best experiences I've had for the buck ($160 internet rate). The Sheraton Great Wall is nice, but remember it's 1) really far from the subway [it's off the freeway to the airport] and 2) kind of old [it was there when I was there back in the early 1990's]. The St. Regis is close to a subway stop, as well as Tian'anmen Square and Wangfujing/Dongdan.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 9:08 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta PM
Arrow Beijing General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

I am traveling to China for vacation in late December.

I see that Starwood is opening its new Westin Beijing, Financial Street, in October.

Details on new hotel here

Any throughts on the new Westin? My gut is to go with a new, fresh hotel. But I want to make sure it is not located in a purely business/convention district as I'll be on vacation with my wife and want to see the sights of Beijing. It says it is on Bar Street.

Any thoughts on this hotel vs. the St. Regis would be much appreciated.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 3:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, WN Companion Pass
I would go for the new one. The location is good - not just a business/convention area. The sights of Beijing are scattered all over the city, so you'll end up in cabs no matter what, and this new place looks to be pretty centrally located.

The St Regis is not at all a romantic place. The workout room and pool leave a lot to be desired and the atmosphere of the whole place feels old and concrete.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 1:59 pm

with all due respect I think the gym at the St Regis Beijing is the best hotel gym in the world.Im looking forward to the Westins.The St Regis is dull and the Sheraton Great Wall is tacky.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Originally Posted by alfonsodiaz
with all due respect I think the gym at the St Regis Beijing is the best hotel gym in the world.Im looking forward to the Westins.The St Regis is dull and the Sheraton Great Wall is tacky.
The St. Regis is dull in what respect?
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dcaer
I am traveling to China for vacation in late December.

I see that Starwood is opening its new Westin Beijing, Financial Street, in October.
You may have to put that visit off a couple of years if you get your heart set on the Westin:

The Westin Beijing, Chaoyang - Opening July 1, 2008

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.