Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Beijing General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beijing General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2008, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Understood. But sometimes when you NEED a cup of coffee in the morning you need it right away...and when one doesn't have lounge or free mini-bar privileges, well, one can become cranky....@:-)
I'm not a coffee drinker, but doesn't every Sheraton in the world have a coffee maker in the room?

The Grand Hyatt is a better choice for the first time tourist, although you can't walk to any bars from there. It is above the subway (couple of stops to the Silk Market), connected to a mall, not far from the Forbidden City/Tianamen Square and it has an awesome swimming pool. They have a problem with Ammonia seepage which started a few years ago and really affects me, but most other Flyertalkers don't seem to notice.

But most all other tourist things require a taxi. The Summer Palace, Great Wall, Ho Hai, etc.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 4:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CaptainG
I would recommend the St. Regis over the Sheraton Great Wall.
Until the St. Regis reopens, the GW Sheraton is (obviously) a better bet. The new Westin (across the street from the Kunlun) shows plenty of promise, but it isn't an option yet either.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 2:33 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I did take a room on the executive level (13th floor) at the GWS.

The room itself (1305) was a nice-enough American-sized king room with a marble bathroom. The view may have been spectacular but the thick PEK smog kept me from being able to see across Third Ring Road, much less beyond.

The buffet breakfast in the lounge was nice but at my rate the buffet breakfast in the lobby was also included and far more choices were available down there.

The executive lounge is advertised as being 24 hours, but when we showed up at 4am to get some coffee for a VERY early start one morning the attendant was soundly asleep at on of the tables and so we decided to take Stimpy's advice and use the french press in the room rather than wake the staffer.

The subway was not walkable (to my mind) but as everyone suggested taxis were plentiful and cheap.

All in all it was a solid experience and I'd recommend it.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 9:07 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Any information on the new Westin opening in May?

Wondering if anyone has any information on the new Westin Chaoyang opening in May? Location for tourist sites?
Old Mar 15, 2008, 9:17 pm

I'm really excited about this hotel and think it is destined to become the premiere Starwood property in town (even, taking St. Regis renovations into account) until the W arrives. It is located across the street from the Kunlun.

It was originally supposed to open this spring, but now they're saying "May/June".

Originally Posted by GB
Wondering if anyone has any information on the new Westin Chaoyang opening in May? Location for tourist sites?
Old Mar 17, 2008, 11:56 am

Programs: UA,DL,CZ
Originally Posted by kluau88
kokonutz, don't know if you're there on pleasure or business but here's my take on the Beijing properties. I should note that I was there a few years ago before the Westin opened. I stayed at the St. Regis and was happy with the service and location. I remember passing the Sheraton along the freeway and if you're going to Beijing to be a tourist you probably would prefer the St. Regis and the Westin if it's close by. The St. Regis is rather central to the tourist stuff and while the Sheraton is called "The Great Wall Sheraton Hotel," it's not that close to the Great Wall nor was it central to the tourist areas IMO. The other FT'ers I was with were staying at the Grand Hyatt and I saw a glimpse of the hotel and it was impressive.
I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt and indeed this hotel is extremely magnificent. Sheraton Great Wall Beijing is one of the worst 5 star hotel I ever stayed at Beijing. The reason is not only because of its old decoration but also becasue of its poor service. In general, the category 1 hotel in Beijing is China Hotel by Shangri-la, Kerry Centre Hotel by Shangri-la, St. Regis, Grand Hyatt, Shangri-la.

Kempenski and Sheration are very close in location and very close in its quality.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 1:44 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Hi guys,

I am so sorry for skipping this request. Let me check with my colleagues for more information.

What would you like to know?

Thank you and have a nice day!

[email protected]

Originally Posted by GB
Old Mar 28, 2008, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
Hi guys,

I am so sorry for skipping this request. Let me check with my colleagues for more information.

What would you like to know?

[email protected]
I'd like to know:

-how it's going to be positioned relative to the other *wood properties in town
-if they're planning on killing the Great Wall Sheraton since its so close
-any updates on the W

Thanks.

E
Old Mar 30, 2008, 8:56 pm

Hi moondog,

Thank you for your reply.

Interesting group of questions I must say, although I am actually referring to the facilities and location of the property.

Nevertheless, I will reply to your questions after discussing with my colleagues at the property.

[email protected]
Old Apr 1, 2008, 1:45 am

Hi everyone,

Here are some additional information on Westin Beijing Chaoyang which you might be interested.

The Westin Beijing Chaoyang is ideally located in the heart of Beijing and only a 25-minute journey from Beijing Capital International Airport. The 34-storey hotel forms part of a large mixed-use complex in Liangma He, which comprises office towers and extensive luxury retail shopping.

All 550 guest rooms and suites are oversized and furnished to the highest standards including Westin’s signature Heavenly Bed and Heavenly Shower. Every guest room and suite offers high speed wireless Internet access and facilities to make every stay a renewal experience. The five–star accommodation features Jinmao Presidential Suite, Executive Suites, Renewal Suite, Deluxe Rooms and Workout Rooms which are equipped with workout facilities.

The Westin Executive Club Floor guest rooms and suites provide guest with the ultimate comfort and conveniences. Complimentary breakfast, all-day refreshments, snacks and evening cocktails are available daily, while personalized butler services complete the experience.

The dining and entertaining scene features a 3-meal restaurant, serving delights from around the world with international buffets for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and additional 6 upscale restaurants, bars and lounges.

the westin beijing chaoyang
1 xinyuan nan road, chaoyang district, beijing 100027, china

[email protected]
Old Jun 6, 2008, 4:07 am
SLF

Programs: Various
Westin Beijing Chaoyang

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
the westin beijing chaoyang
1 xinyuan nan road, chaoyang district, beijing 100027, china
Can anyone confirm if this is the location of the Westin Beijing Chaoyang? Or maybe here (quite close to the Sheraton Great Wall?

If not, where is it?
Old Jun 6, 2008, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by SLF
Can anyone confirm if this is the location of the Westin Beijing Chaoyang? Or maybe here (quite close to the Sheraton Great Wall?

If not, where is it?
AFAIK the last location is correct. Quite close to the Great Wall.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by SLF

If not, where is it?

The second location appears to be correct. (The first shows the intersection of 3 ring and changan jie)
Old Jun 24, 2008, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Has anybody already made experiences with the "new" St. Regis after renovation? What is it like? We will be there in July and got already upgraded from the suite category booked to a St. Regis suite - whatever this is (it appears not to be bookable on the website)

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; Jun 24, 2008 at 10:11 am
Old Jun 28, 2008, 1:25 am
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
just got an email (attached below) from Westin Beijing Chaoyang yesterday on my upcoming stay mid next week...quite disappointing that they're delaying their opening.

They mentioned moving me to the Sheraton Great Wall, but didn't mention about the rate - does it mean that they are expecting me to pay the same rate ? Our corp rate at the Great Wall is at least some 20-30% lower than what I'm paying Westin Chaoyang - if I want to stay at the Great Wall I would have paid the much lower rate and book myself. They think the double Starpoints is going to compensate for the 20-30% price difference, or ? I can't quite believe that they think they can just move someone from a Cat 5 to Cat 4 hotel, esp when I'm paying a premium for the new hotel and higher Cat, and expect me to be paying the same rate ? maybe they think the "upgrade to the best available room" part is going to compensate for it, but this is supposedly a given for an SPG Plat already...

And when I was in BJ, I usually stay at the St Regis, the Great Wall is really quite old and worn-out, at least when I stayed there once a couple of years ago. And now they are cancelling my reservation so last minute (less than 5 days notice) and the St Regis seems fully booked now - doesn't sound like I have any other options ? I replied to their email but they are not replying yet...any chance to get them to help me get a booking at the St Regis ? any suggestion ?

Thank you for your reservation at the Westin Beijing Chaoyang!

Unfortunately, due to a slight delay in completion of our hotel, we are not able to accept guests during the 1st week of July.

We truly apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause and have taken the liberty in booking a room at our sister property the Sheraton Great Wall Beijing, located within 200 meters from our hotel at 10 north dong san huan road, chaoyang district, beijing. (Telephone: 86-10-6590 5566)

During your stay at the Sheraton Great Wall Beijing, we have secured a room with a complimentary upgrade to their best available rooms in the hotel. In addition not only will you gain StarPoints during your stay at the Sheraton Great Wall, we will also provide you Double StarPoints for the said inconvenience.

Finally, for your next stay in Beijing we are pleased to provide you with a courtesy upgrade to our Diplomatic Suites in our Executive Club (subject to availability)

Again, our most sincere apologies for any inconvenience that this may cause and the team and I look forward to your future visits to Beijing.

Be Well!

Daniel Aylmer

General Manager

daniel aylmer general manager the westin beijing chaoyang
1 xinyuan nan road, chaoyang district beijing 100027, china

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.