Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Beijing General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beijing General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2009, 10:08 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Hilton Gold, Delta Diamond, Hertz Presidents, AA Gold
SR vs. Westin Beijing

My wife and I are heading on a quick (6-7 day) trip to Beijing in a few weeks. I'm SPG gold, have points to use and am trying to decide between the SR and Westin properties. I'd love to hear thoughts on which would be the better choice as we will be doing the typical first-time tourist thing. As New Yorkers, we are comfortable with the subway so that can play into our decision. We'll definitely use the property's fitness center and will probably choose a hotel breakfast option. Thanks so much.
Old May 9, 2009, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by nycguy
My wife and I are heading on a quick (6-7 day) trip to Beijing in a few weeks. I'm SPG gold, have points to use and am trying to decide between the SR and Westin properties. I'd love to hear thoughts on which would be the better choice as we will be doing the typical first-time tourist thing. As New Yorkers, we are comfortable with the subway so that can play into our decision. We'll definitely use the property's fitness center and will probably choose a hotel breakfast option. Thanks so much.
When it comes to vacations, the SR would be my choice. Locationwise it is nicer. However, no lounge.
Old May 9, 2009, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
When it comes to vacations, the SR would be my choice. Locationwise it is nicer. However, no lounge.
When did the lounge go away? There was one when I stayed there a few years ago. Do they provide breakfast for SPG Platinum?
Old May 9, 2009, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajnaro
When did the lounge go away? There was one when I stayed there a few years ago. Do they provide breakfast for SPG Platinum?

Either I am blind or there is not lounge. I've beem there twice, great upgrade, breakfast was cheap, but I never got aware of was made aware of any lounge.
Old May 9, 2009, 4:36 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Hilton Gold, Delta Diamond, Hertz Presidents, AA Gold
Thanks. The SR looks like a pretty good deal with 5th night free. I just wanted to be sure that the location was good for tourist sightseeing. Thanks again.
Old May 31, 2009, 12:06 am

Just got back from 7 nights at SR Beijing. Great property. They upgraded us to a suite even though I'm just Gold. I used points for stay 5/pay 4 deal and paid for 2 nights cash. Great gym and pool. Good prices for the wonderful lunch/dinner buffet and 40% off spa treatments during the day. Highly recommended.
Old May 31, 2009, 11:04 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Is There a Lounge?

Just got back from 7 nights at SR Beijing. Great property. They upgraded us to a suite even though I'm just Gold. I used points for stay 5/pay 4 deal and paid for 2 nights cash. Great gym and pool. Good prices for the wonderful lunch/dinner buffet and 40% off spa treatments during the day. Highly recommended.
Please comment on whether there is a lounge. Earlier posts on the St Regis reported a lounge that opens late morning, no breakfast, but did have evening snacks. We'll be staying there in July.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:51 am

However, no lounge.
Originally Posted by ajnaro
Either I am blind or there is not lounge. I've beem there twice, great upgrade, breakfast was cheap, but I never got aware of was made aware of any lounge.
Originally Posted by CIT85
Please comment on whether there is a lounge. Earlier posts on the St Regis reported a lounge that opens late morning, no breakfast, but did have evening snacks. We'll be staying there in July.
As of about 1.5 years ago when I was last there, there indeed WAS a lounge. It is NOT open for breakfast, only for drinks (booze included) and hor'deourves (pretty good selection at that) in the afternoon/evening. Entrance is NOT based on status, anybody that is staying at the hotel has access to the lounge.

To answer one other question: I don't think I was told about the lounge at check-in either, rather I just stumbled onto it and asked them about it at the entrance....................or maybe I read about it here on FT and then stumbled my way onto it.

FWIW, I have no idea if the lounge situation has changed since the Summer 2008 rennovations as I haven't been there since then.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 8:42 am
wma

Programs: AA, HH, Marriott Titanium Elite
Best Starwood Tourist Location in Beijing

Hi All,
I am planning a trip to Beijing as a tourist. It's been a while since I've been there on business and can't remember which Starwood property has the best location for a tourist. Is one property located better than the other to be able to leave hotel and walk to sites? Thanks,
WMA

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jun 3, 2009 at 11:30 am Reason: Moved into Beijing Starwood master thread
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wma
Hi All,
I am planning a trip to Beijing as a tourist. It's been a while since I've been there on business and can't remember which Starwood property has the best location for a tourist. Is one property located better than the other to be able to leave hotel and walk to sites? Thanks,
WMA
At least I did the walk from the St. Regis to the forbidden city. For a European this is clearly walkable. Wouldn't say so for the Westin Financial Street.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 11:58 am

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
At least I did the walk from the St. Regis to the forbidden city. For a European this is clearly walkable. Wouldn't say so for the Westin Financial Street.
As a tourist I stayed at the Westin FS.
The taxi prices in Beijing are very moderate... moreover, a subway station is in walking distance...
Old Jun 4, 2009, 10:47 pm

I didn't check on SR lounge as I'm only gold. I did have to push the front desk to provide SPG gold benefits, so be sure and remind them at check in.
The SR site wasn't really walkable to any of the sites but cabs are quite cheap (seems like it was $5-10 for the major sites). Be sure to have the SR concierge write the exact destination in Mandarin on a card for the driver and have the SR staff ensure that the driver understands as many of the taxi drivers can't read.
Great property overall.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 11:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Be sure to have the SR concierge write the exact destination in Mandarin
Small point: Mandarin refers to a spoken dialect. "Chinese" is the proper term in this case.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 8:53 pm

I didn't check on SR lounge as I'm only gold.

Like I said a few posts above, ANY guests (including Golds or even BASE SPG MEMBERS) could access the St Regis Beijing Lounge at least as of ~18 months ago.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:55 am

Thanks. We didn't check for a lounge..now I wish we would have.
And thanks for the correction moondog...you can tell I'm one of those monoglots....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.