Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Beijing General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beijing General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
As an SPG Platinum, I highly recommend the Sheraton Grand Beijing Dongcheng.

Vincent, the GM of this hotel, is not just the GM of this property, but the Area Manager for a large region within China.

He and they (including the Rooms Manager, Marjam) are totally committed as much if not more than any SPG property to provide the best guest experience for SPG elites, including liberal suite UGs when and as available.

I am very excited about this property as part of the SPG options in Beijing.

As, FYI, the wifi was slow on occasion, but I understand the wifi system is in the process of being substantially upgraded.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nologic
As an SPG Platinum, I highly recommend the Sheraton Grand Beijing Dongcheng....
Beijing is a huge city. Is location of Dongcheng good for first time visitors?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by TerryK
Beijing is a huge city. Is location of Dongcheng good for first time visitors?
It's on the north side. Close for the Birds Nest and Water Cube. Also a good location for or Tsinghua University and trips to the Summer Palace and Great Wall. Not as central as the W or St Regis as it relates to other venues such as the Forbidden City and Tiennamen Square. But if you're looking to hotel hop and/or find a location where you can potentially score a confirmed generous suite UG, it's a good option, especially when rates are low.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Best value for money in Beijing is the Great Wall Sheraton. Cheap as chips and great location.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:03 pm

Hey guys,

I'll be in Beijing for 6 nights in December

I know there are are many Stay 3 Pay 2 or Stay 4 Pay 3 or similar promotions available but don't know on which properties

Anyone have any idea? Prefer chain hotels i.e. SPG, Hyatt or Hilton if possible

Thanks
Old Oct 14, 2016, 5:49 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
I'll be in Beijing in November for a very short stop to see major sights. I was leaning toward St. Regis.

Can anyone compare the St. Regis to the Marriott options. I'm a Plat but don't want to go over $250/night.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 6:06 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I went one time a few years ago and was not enamored with the St Regis. At the time I thought if I go back I would stay at the THE WESTIN BEIJING CHAOYANG.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 6:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by porciuscato
I'll be in Beijing in November for a very short stop to see major sights. I was leaning toward St. Regis.

Can anyone compare the St. Regis to the Marriott options. I'm a Plat but don't want to go over $250/night.
The St Regis is a good option for you, better than staying in the city center (ghost town at night) IMO.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 5:00 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Which property is the nearest (or easy access) to airport. I am planning to go to Beijing and still considering if I should take 5:55am out of PEK to BKK or do over night stay in BKK.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by lingua101
Which property is the nearest (or easy access) to airport. I am planning to go to Beijing and still considering if I should take 5:55am out of PEK to BKK or do over night stay in BKK.
The Courtyard at Sanyuanqiao is the closest, but I would probably go for the GW Sheraton if the prices are similar. Yes, it is old/tired, but the location is better, and room rates account for the old/tired factor.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by moondog
The Courtyard at Sanyuanqiao is the closest, but I would probably go for the GW Sheraton if the prices are similar. Yes, it is old/tired, but the location is better, and room rates account for the old/tired factor.
What about the old Holiday Inn Lido? Is it still there? It's a lot closer to the airport, right?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
What about the old Holiday Inn Lido? Is it still there? It's a lot closer to the airport, right?
The Lido still exists, and I like the area, but traffic can be awful, to the extent that proximity to PEK is a moot point.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by moondog
The Lido still exists, and I like the area, but traffic can be awful, to the extent that proximity to PEK is a moot point.
Thanks for the update on the traffic. But the poster said his flight is at 05:55 so traffic should not be bad at 4am, right? Although I guess it would only shave 10-15 minutes from the GWS without traffic.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
I strongly recommend the Westin Chaoyang; awesome physical property, amazing PLT treatment, and really helpful staff.

I had an crazy scam/police interaction (100x overcharge at a bar...) and multiple members of staff were super helpful -- including going with me to the police station (!!!) to help out. I've never had a situation like that during travel, and hope to never have a problem like that again, but I was completely blown away by how wonderful the staff were.

(I need to write a full review + also a letter to Starwood about this.)
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:11 pm

Beijing - Best SPG Hotels

Will be traveling with my Father to PEK in early September for three nights. I am a SPG Platinum (also Marriott Platinum), and wondered which hotel I should choose - the W or St. Regis? Rates are about the same...

St. Regis looks a bit dated to me, but I'm worried W is too much of a party scene - as PEK is our first stop on our trip, I don't want to awoken at the wee hour to loud music, etc. We'll be sharing a room. We're both well traveled, pretty easy-going and easy to please.

If it helps, we're staying at The Westin in Xi'an, the Shang-ri la in Guilin, and the St. Regis in PVG.

Appreciate the assistance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.