Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Beijing General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beijing General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2010, 1:41 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I will be in Beijing in June and will only have a day and a half to tour plus one night to go out. I am currently booked at the Westin Beijing Chaoyang on C+P.

Anybody have any thoughts on whether the other Westin or the Great Wall Sheraton would be better for me?
Old May 25, 2010, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by abk
I will be in Beijing in June and will only have a day and a half to tour plus one night to go out. I am currently booked at the Westin Beijing Chaoyang on C+P.

Anybody have any thoughts on whether the other Westin or the Great Wall Sheraton would be better for me?
I haven't been to the Sheraton, but this is a beautiful new Westin with a great lounge (some of the best food I have had in a hotel lounge). Great, big, modern rooms. It is a little out of the way for Beijing tourism, but ok. I presume you want to go to both great wall and do toruns in BJ, such as Tien Sq. and Forbidden City, so I would stay in BJ and do day trip out and back to GW.
Old May 25, 2010, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by abk

The Westin is a much nicer hotel, but I wouldn't hesitate to go with the GW if the price difference is substantial. The GW isn't nearly as bad as some FTers make it out to be, especially if you get a renovated room.

OT: minor pet peeve about the Westin; there isn't a single seat in the lobby outside of the lounge area.
Old May 25, 2010, 2:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
If the St Regis has C&P availability (or is not much more expensive than the Westin), I would highly recommend that as well.
Old May 25, 2010, 7:23 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
is the St Regis that much better than the Westin??
Old May 25, 2010, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by abk
is the St Regis that much better than the Westin??
I prefer the Westin; better location IMO.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
I prefer the Westin; better location IMO.
Just curious.....from the perspective of someone who hasn't visited Beijing before, what makes the Westin's location better? (This is the new Chaoyang we're talking about, right?)
Old Jun 27, 2010, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by JB5150
Just curious.....from the perspective of someone who hasn't visited Beijing before, what makes the Westin's location better? (This is the new Chaoyang we're talking about, right?)
I would also be interested in this. I will be in Beijing in September for sightseeing, which will be my first trip there. I have reserved 3 paid nights at the St. Regis for CNY 1400/night. The Westin Chaoyang is about the same price, but has some cash and points availability.

Couple of questions:

- Since price is the same - if I decide to keep a paid reservation, which is better for me?
- Is it worth switching form a paid night to C+P at the Westin?
Old Jun 27, 2010, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by JB5150
-better restaurants (in the area)
-NE 3rd Ring location is good for zipping around the city and points north (e.g. airport, 798, Lido, Great Wall)
-Sanlitun is cool
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
St Regis vs. Westin Chaoyang

I always have a problem when need to choose between two similar things. I read the master threads of both hotels, and I wish there is only one of them in Beijing, that will make my decision much easier.
Both hotels are obviously excellent, but which one is better? I know different people could have different answers from different perspective. So I have someone could help on the following specific questions:
1. Both hotels seems to easy get upgraded to suite as platinum. Which suite is larger, newer, and has better view? (Westin has 100 square meter, how about SR?)
2. Same question for the standard rooms.
3. I am going to stay in Beijing in June, and plan to visit forbidden city, summer palace, and great wall. Which hotel has better location?
4. I have a 3 year old baby who didn't have much travel experience. Which hotel might be easier for him?
5. Both hotels have free breakfast, and free internet for platinum members, right?

I will use points to book the rooms and 2k difference per day doesn't really matter. I also don't care much about lounge or bars.

Thank you.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by jjj0002
Both hotels are obviously excellent, but which one is better?
We stayed at both during the same week last fall. Let me put it this way -- if one is better than the other, the difference is insignificant.

Areas where I prefer the Westin: Much newer hotel/furnishings, shorter drive to airport, right next to the subway (though not a line that goes directly to most touristy places), great view from the executive lounge.

Areas where I prefer the St. Regis: Better food for free breakfast buffet, 5-minute walk from subway line that goes to Forbidden City, butler service (if you use it), has private bowling alley.

No difference: Drive to Great Wall, comfort of beds.

You really can't go wrong with either, so don't worry about it!
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by silentbob1974
No difference: Drive to Great Wall, comfort of beds.
Without traffic, the Westin is 10 minutes closer to most Great Wall sites near Beijing. But, with traffic, the difference can be more substantial.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 9:53 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Here's sort of an interesting question...

I'm going to Beijing in a week, and I'll be there for approximately ten days on business. I'd like to do some tourism, but I've seen the sites there before. I'd rather focus on being relatively close to good food, bars, and things to do, rather than sites. Last time I went to Beijing, I was at the Hilton Beijing Wanfujing, and lounge access there was fantastic. In the evenings there, alcoholic beverages were complimentary. I had that access as my girlfriend was a gold member there. I'm platinum at Marriott, and I'm gold at SPG. I'm really considering the JW Marriott, as I know I'll have lounge access. I don't want to *not* have lounge access at the SPG property, if I choose to stay there. So where would you stay? JW Marriott as a plat? Or the Westin? ThANKS!
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by hungarianhc
Here's sort of an interesting question...

I'm going to Beijing in a week, and I'll be there for approximately ten days on business. I'd like to do some tourism, but I've seen the sites there before. I'd rather focus on being relatively close to good food, bars, and things to do, rather than sites. Last time I went to Beijing, I was at the Hilton Beijing Wanfujing, and lounge access there was fantastic. In the evenings there, alcoholic beverages were complimentary. I had that access as my girlfriend was a gold member there. I'm platinum at Marriott, and I'm gold at SPG. I'm really considering the JW Marriott, as I know I'll have lounge access. I don't want to *not* have lounge access at the SPG property, if I choose to stay there. So where would you stay? JW Marriott as a plat? Or the Westin? ThANKS!
My hotel advice always takes the bolded portion of your post into account. As I mentioned in my Nobu thread, I went to the JW yesterday, and (based on the gym alone) felt that it was a cut above the Capital Ren. That having been said, I don't think it comes close to justifying its premium (nearly double) over the Ren. I used to live in Blue Castle (near the JW). Now, I live in Fulicheng (near the Ren). While my first impressions of the Shuangjing area were negative, I now realize that this part of town is really starting to take off... and we're just as close to Guomao as the JW (they're east; we're south). If you want to be really close to food/bars, consider Westin, Kunlun, Comfort Inn, etc. But, the Cap Ren is cool; if you PM me, I might be able to hook you up with some extra goodies there (though probably not a lower rate than what you can find online).

Disclaimer: I have a business relationship with the Cap Ren, but do not benefit personally by plugging it here. Even if I did, FT is quickly evolving into a commercial beast (several interesting threads in Community Buzz about this).

Last edited by moondog; Mar 25, 2011 at 10:33 pm
Old Jul 9, 2011, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
The Westin is a much nicer hotel, but I wouldn't hesitate to go with the GW if the price difference is substantial. The GW isn't nearly as bad as some FTers make it out to be, especially if you get a renovated room.

OT: minor pet peeve about the Westin; there isn't a single seat in the lobby outside of the lounge area.
In Beijing in early September, and I'll be arriving via rail from Mongolia. Is the GW property convenient to subway and/or the train station?

I'm looking for a good budget use of my SPG points, and the GW at 4K a night sounds solid - especially to travelers who have been sleeping on trains for the previous 3 weeks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.