Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Beijing General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beijing General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I have a free weekend night for cat 4 or lower that I would like to use before I start a 10 day tour of China. Hotel for the following night would be Grand Gongda Jianguo Hotel (part of the tour package).

Any recommendation as to where I should go? (I love lounges. )
Hi Margarita Girl

I would highly reccomend the Sheraton Beijing Dongcheng Hotel (36 North Third Ring Road East, Dongcheng District). Its listed as a Cat 4 but its a brand new hotel that has more luxurious rooms and a superior lounge to many of the Cat 6 properties I have stayed at. I was ugraded to a stunning suite. The hotel looks out over the Birds Nest stadium.

The Lounge has an oustanding view. The lounge service is oustanding as is the food. They have several restaurants at the hotel and each contributes two or three small plates for the evening nibbles. Thyey also have steamers full of dim sum. The deserts were awsome. I do not drink wine when flying so I cannot comment but other guests seemed to be enjoying the wine selection.

Room comes with free breakfast for two either in the lounge or the main restaurant on floor 3 (i think it was 3). I choose the restaurant breakfast just because the choice was larger. It had an omlette station and a huge range of western and chinese breakfast items. My favourite was the large selection of fresh fruits, including berrries, cherries,etc... just yummy!
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:39 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I am planning on going to the DPRK at the end of October. I will have approximately 2-3 nights before the trip and 1 night after. The 2-3 nights before the trip will be spent in Beijing obviously. The night I spend after DPRK, I just want to catch some zzz and board the morning flight to Tokyo. I was last in Beijing in '07 pre-Olympics. So... which property do I stay at before? And which after? I should note that I am considering three Hilton properties (Conrad Beijing for pre-DPRK and Doubletree Beijing or Hilton PEK for post-DPRK) as well, but would like to hear thoughts from my fellow FTers. Many thanks in advance.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Originally Posted by uxb
I am planning on going to the DPRK at the end of October. I will have approximately 2-3 nights before the trip and 1 night after. The 2-3 nights before the trip will be spent in Beijing obviously. The night I spend after DPRK, I just want to catch some zzz and board the morning flight to Tokyo. I was last in Beijing in '07 pre-Olympics. So... which property do I stay at before? And which after? I should note that I am considering three Hilton properties (Conrad Beijing for pre-DPRK and Doubletree Beijing or Hilton PEK for post-DPRK) as well, but would like to hear thoughts from my fellow FTers. Many thanks in advance.
I can't see how mentioning DPRK or your having been to Beijing pre-Olympics helps us recommend a more suitable hotel. They all have beds where you can catch a good zzz. Maybe the airport hotel since you're treating it as just a stopover?
Old Sep 6, 2013, 7:35 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by roverkt
I can't see how mentioning DPRK or your having been to Beijing pre-Olympics helps us recommend a more suitable hotel. They all have beds where you can catch a good zzz. Maybe the airport hotel since you're treating it as just a stopover?
Mentioned that info because being near Tiananmen / Forbidden City / Temple of Heaven is not a priority (read: BTDT), but I recognise the city had changed a lot with the games. Just trying to get a sense of the pluses and minuses without that factor. As for the post-DPRK, I have booked at Hilton PEK, so that's covered.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 7:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by uxb
Mentioned that info because being near Tiananmen / Forbidden City / Temple of Heaven is not a priority (read: BTDT), but I recognise the city had changed a lot with the games. Just trying to get a sense of the pluses and minuses without that factor. As for the post-DPRK, I have booked at Hilton PEK, so that's covered.
Try the Conrad, then. There are lots of good dining options nearby (e.g. SLT), and it's on Line 6 so you can easily pop over to Nanluoguxiang/Houhai.

The Hilton is the nicest airport hotel, so that's a good choice. We usually don't over plug it because it is also the most expensive, but if money isn't an object, it's a no brainer.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 8:02 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by moondog
Try the Conrad, then. There are lots of good dining options nearby (e.g. SLT), and it's on Line 6 so you can easily pop over to Nanluoguxiang/Houhai.

The Hilton is the nicest airport hotel, so that's a good choice. We usually don't over plug it because it is also the most expensive, but if money isn't an object, it's a no brainer.
In re: PEK Hilton, I'm sitting on tonnes of Hilton pesos, so I am booked on C+P.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 8:57 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Booked 2 nights on a reward stay over the weekend saturday/sunday using points at the DoubleTree Beijing. Short stay on October 12-14 (week after golden week holidays). First time in Beijing and on my own pocket so didn't opt for Conrad or Hilton Wangfujing. I only have about just below 28k points at the moment. Any recommendations? Or maybe I can try 1 night in Hilton and 1 night in SPG.

How are the SPG properties here?
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: LH Sen, Starwood Amb, Hilton Diamond
Beijing connoiseurs - please help me choose the best Starwood hotel for access to the Chinese Academy of Sciences in Datun Road in Chaoyang. I have a reservation at the St Regis, but the organizers of my meeting are saying that this is impractical because it could take an hour to get there during traffic. Is this really the case? Would either of the Westins be better?
Old Oct 9, 2013, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Sphinx
Beijing connoiseurs - please help me choose the best Starwood hotel for access to the Chinese Academy of Sciences in Datun Road in Chaoyang. I have a reservation at the St Regis, but the organizers of my meeting are saying that this is impractical because it could take an hour to get there during traffic. Is this really the case? Would either of the Westins be better?
Yes, Chaoyang, for sure.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:58 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, China Eastern Gold
Sheraton Dongcheng is the best hotel for you in terms of location. Westin Chaoyang (not Westin Financial St, which is about the same as St. Regis in terms of hassle) and Great Wall Sheraton are both somewhat convenient as well.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by skoo
Sheraton Dongcheng is the best hotel for you in terms of location. Westin Chaoyang (not Westin Financial St, which is about the same as St. Regis in terms of hassle) and Great Wall Sheraton are both somewhat convenient as well.
The Westin has an entrance to the Liangmaqiao subway station right outside of its front door, and even if in a car, I'd rather take my chances on 3rd Ring than on trying to get from 2nd Ring out. That having been said, I've heard nice things about the Dongcheng Sheraton, and the chef is a really nice guy.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 2:34 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Booked 2 nights on a reward stay over the weekend saturday/sunday using points at the DoubleTree Beijing. Short stay on October 12-14 (week after golden week holidays). First time in Beijing and on my own pocket so didn't opt for Conrad or Hilton Wangfujing. I only have about just below 28k points at the moment. Any recommendations? Or maybe I can try 1 night in Hilton and 1 night in SPG.

How are the SPG properties here?
Guess I won't be experiencing any SPG hotels in Beijing this trip. Well there's always next year.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: LH Sen, Starwood Amb, Hilton Diamond
Thanks to all. Based on your advice, I have switched to the Sheraton Dongcheng, which was totally off my radar screen - I was only considering the St Regis and two Westins initially!

Old Sep 27, 2014, 4:25 am

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Distance from Beijing South station?

Are any of the Starwoods conveniently located (or easy to get to) Beijing South?
Old Sep 27, 2014, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by abraxis
Are any of the Starwoods conveniently located (or easy to get to) Beijing South?
Not really, but you probably don't want to stay anywhere remotely close to Beijing South anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.