Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Beijing General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beijing General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2006, 3:47 am

the St Regis is in the diplomatic district and has a very understated feel.The Press Club Bar is always empty and the restaurants have no buzz.There is nowhere to walk to from a nightlife or tourism perspective.Dont get me wrong:Its a great hotel but doesnt have the pazzazz of say the Westin in Shanghai or as a more direct comparison the Hyatt in Beijing (dont go there because Starwood has me hooked).

Its probably a St Regis thing because the one in Shanghai Pudong is equally "dull"
Old Jul 25, 2006, 9:45 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
There are 2 Westins to open, one in 2006 and the other in 2008.

www.westin.com/beijingfinancial

www.westin.com/chaoyang

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
You may have to put that visit off a couple of years if you get your heart set on the Westin:

The Westin Beijing, Chaoyang - Opening July 1, 2008
Old Jul 25, 2006, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
You may have to put that visit off a couple of years if you get your heart set on the Westin:

The Westin Beijing, Chaoyang - Opening July 1, 2008
The OP is referring to the Westin Financial Street, which is slated to open in October 2006.

I enjoyed the St. Regis PEK very much earlier this summer. We didn't ever have a problem getting anywhere as taxis are so inexpensive there. You can walk to a few places from the St. Regis, but for the most part you'll need to cab it or take the subway (which is quite convenient and easy to use but not really worth using because taxis are so inexpensive). Everything in the St. Regis was very nice, including the small lounge which has complimentary happy hour each night.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 9:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by johnep1
The OP is referring to the Westin Financial Street, which is slated to open in October 2006. . .
Yikes, my mistake. I apologize!
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by seatpicker
I would go for the new one. The location is good - not just a business/convention area. The sights of Beijing are scattered all over the city, so you'll end up in cabs no matter what, and this new place looks to be pretty centrally located.

The St Regis is not at all a romantic place. The workout room and pool leave a lot to be desired and the atmosphere of the whole place feels old and concrete.
I thought the facilities at the St. Regis were fine (spa, gym, etc). There's not that much in the immediate area (except for the Silk Market) and the building is slightly older and in the diplomatic area.

I'd try the new hotel just to check it out, please report back.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by alfonsodiaz
with all due respect I think the gym at the St Regis Beijing is the best hotel gym in the world.Im looking forward to the Westins.The St Regis is dull and the Sheraton Great Wall is tacky.
even in sleeply little, beijing, i would argue that the kerry's gym blows the st. regis away by a large margin. i also think the hyatt's facilities are better, but this is a closer call.

what's more, if we were expand the field to the world stage, i imagine we'd find scores, if not hundreds, of better gyms.

btw, i agree with your st. regis is dull assessment. it's kind of hard to articulate why, but the atmoshere just feels a little to business-like. (same goes for the kerry, but at least they have centro.)
Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
the St Regis is in the diplomatic district and has a very understated feel.The Press Club Bar is always empty and the restaurants have no buzz.There is nowhere to walk to from a nightlife or tourism perspective.Dont get me wrong:Its a great hotel but doesnt have the pazzazz of say the Westin in Shanghai or as a more direct comparison the Hyatt in Beijing (dont go there because Starwood has me hooked).

Its probably a St Regis thing because the one in Shanghai Pudong is equally \"dull\"
I see what you mean and I do agree, especially when comparing it to somewhere such as the Westin Shanghai.

However, just as a correction, the Silk Market is definitely within walking distance of the St. Regis, and I enjoy strolling by some of the embassies too.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
even in sleeply little, beijing, i would argue that the kerry's gym blows the st. regis away by a large margin. i also think the hyatt's facilities are better, but this is a closer call.

what's more, if we were expand the field to the world stage, i imagine we'd find scores, if not hundreds, of better gyms.

btw, i agree with your st. regis is dull assessment. it's kind of hard to articulate why, but the atmoshere just feels a little to business-like. (same goes for the kerry, but at least they have centro.)
you are right its going too far to say its the best in the World.Its the best manned 24hr per day Ive been into and although I do about 150 hotel room nights a yera its probably in 10-15 Starwood properties round the world so scarcely a worldwide "sample".Compare it though to the Sheraton HK or the Westin Shanghai (my two other most usual suspects) and you know what I mean.

I think its dullness is primarily due to the isolation and lack of character of its bar and restaurants ( the steak house might as well be on another planet) and its clentele which are either boring old business people like me, even more boring diplomats or world leaders and (recently) large groups of middle age (to be kind) American tourists.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:37 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
.There is nowhere to walk to from a nightlife...perspective.
FWIW, one of my favorite discos in Asia, Club Banana, is within a 5 minute walk of the St. Regis. It's copmlete with a dancefloor that pulsates to the beat ^ .
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:21 am

St. Regis Beijing

Just stayed at the St. Regis Beijing for 1 night. Got a cheapo rate of RMB 1,300/night for an "accessible room" whereas the prevailing rate was closer to RMB 2,000/night. Upon arrival, got upgraded to a suite because of my Platinum status. I was informed that the Executive Lounge is only open from 10am - 10pm (so no breakfast). And, breakfast is not comped for Platinums in the restaurant. I'm not sure whether this is only the "summer hours" during the slow season, or whether it is always like this.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 9:29 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
it is always like this.

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Just stayed at the St. Regis Beijing for 1 night. Got a cheapo rate of RMB 1,300/night for an "accessible room" whereas the prevailing rate was closer to RMB 2,000/night. Upon arrival, got upgraded to a suite because of my Platinum status. I was informed that the Executive Lounge is only open from 10am - 10pm (so no breakfast). And, breakfast is not comped for Platinums in the restaurant. I'm not sure whether this is only the "summer hours" during the slow season, or whether it is always like this.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Well this should be VERY interesting. The fabulous Intercontinental Beijing - Financial Street opened about a year ago and has been resoundingly unsuccessful. In and of itself, the hotel is awesome. Huge rooms with excellent details. Great lounge and bar. Excellent service. Yet from my stays and other Flyertalk reports it is a ghost town. I blame the location which is just a bunch of large financial buildings and nothing else.

So I will look on with interest to see how the Westin does. I wonder if it is the same owner? I was told the IC is owned by the Capital Development company. If anyone knows the Westin owner, let me know. Also it would be interesting to know where it is in relation to the IC. It seems to be in the same area.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 12:12 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Always like this, unfortunately. If you want breakfast, go out the front door, turn right, then right again and walk along the edge of the St Regis, past the Pool and long term residence. Right across, straight ahead (With a huge yellow canopy) across the street is a fantastic 'coffee house" that serves excellent coffee from all over the world (The Jamaican Blue Mountain is excellent). Cost is $5.00/ cup, but it comes with 'complimentary' ham and eggs breakfast, also very good.
If your on a budget, walk up to Jiangomen Daije, cross it, turn right and there is a Mc Donalds open for breakfast.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Vulcan
Always like this, unfortunately. If you want breakfast, go out the front door, turn right, then right again and walk along the edge of the St Regis, past the Pool and long term residence. Right across, straight ahead (With a huge yellow canopy) across the street is a fantastic 'coffee house" that serves excellent coffee from all over the world (The Jamaican Blue Mountain is excellent). Cost is $5.00/ cup, but it comes with 'complimentary' ham and eggs breakfast, also very good.
If your on a budget, walk up to Jiangomen Daije, cross it, turn right and there is a Mc Donalds open for breakfast.
I think the lounge at the St Regis is the most disappointing thing about the hotel.Im in the Sheraton Hong Kong right now and its a different planet.They make you feel like family here.The 3 hour happy hour is unique in my experience and the views are fantastic.By comparison the St Regis lounge is cold, impersonal and has nothing going for it
Old Jul 30, 2006, 3:33 am

I think the lounge at the St Regis is the most disappointing thing about the hotel.Im in the Sheraton Hong Kong right now and its a different planet.They make you feel like family here.The 3 hour happy hour is unique in my experience and the views are fantastic.By comparison the St Regis lounge is cold, impersonal and has nothing going for it
Views?? You must be talking about the Towers Lounge. The Executive Lounge for Platinum members at the Sheraton Hong Kong doesn't even have windows, I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.