Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Beijing General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beijing General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2012, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
Just wanted to revive this and see if anyone had new insights on the St Regis vs Westin conversation after recent trips. I am traveling next week and have two nights in Beijing with one full day of sightseeing.

C&P is available at both properties and I just cannot decide. Any input is appreciated
Old Feb 27, 2012, 3:12 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by PHX_SOUS
Just wanted to revive this and see if anyone had new insights on the St Regis vs Westin conversation after recent trips. I am traveling next week and have two nights in Beijing with one full day of sightseeing.

C&P is available at both properties and I just cannot decide. Any input is appreciated
I was just having this same discussion with someone who is a regular in Beijing and he was very clear that the Westin is the way to go.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by abk
I was just having this same discussion with someone who is a regular in Beijing and he was very clear that the Westin is the way to go.
I prefer the Westin (Chaoyang) too, but I wouldn't say that there's any clear consensus. One of the St. Regis's biggest drawbacks -- lack of taxis in the area -- is presumably about to be remedied, as of today because a guy a met a few weeks ago is starting a new (reasonably priced) car service (check out the "are Beijing taxis on strike?" thread for more info). Furthermore, the CBD (10 minute walk from the St. Regis) is undergoing a bit of a Renaissance. Parkview Green alone (opening in June) appears to be a game changer.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
Thank you both for your input! Looks like my time in Beijing may be split March 2-4 and March 8-10 so I think I will try both and report back. Sounds like I can't go wrong with either one.

Moondog - I'll check out the car service you mentioned. Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2012, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by PHX_SOUS
Thank you both for your input! Looks like my time in Beijing may be split March 2-4 and March 8-10 so I think I will try both and report back. Sounds like I can't go wrong with either one.

Moondog - I'll check out the car service you mentioned. Thanks!
Like I mentioned in that other thread, you currently need to have an iPhone (or an iPad with an iPhone emulation) in order to avail of this new service. Discriminatory marketing? Perhaps, but it seems like a substantial percentage of the car service market possesses iPhones (e.g. pretty much everyone I work with, including the "kids"), and one of the main focuses of the company is putting their technology into play (I don't think they will make much money by charging 20% more than taxis, but if other car rental companies jump on their platform in large numbers, they seem to have a bright future; it's all about efficient resource allocation).
Old Feb 27, 2012, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
You really can't put the two properties in the same discussion. The differences are vast, but they are both good.

The MOST impt difference is location. Beijing is huge. Traffic sucks. They are probably 45 mins from each other. That's like saying, if i am staying in Scottsdale, should I also stay half way to Tuscon, because I hear there's a nice hotel there. Sort of, but not that bad.

Think of BJ as a clock. The STR is a little west of the center of the dial. Think of Tienemmen Square and the Forbidden City as the centter of the dial. The Westin CH is about 2:00 on the dial. The airport is located out past 2-3:00, but in that direction.

1) Location depends on where you are coming from and where you want to go. The St. Regis is close to the inner city, Forbidden City, Tienneman Square, etc.

2) The Westin Ch is close to the airport, and tourist things in the north and northeast.

The STR has charm/history, convenience and nice platinum treatment. It is an important hotel in BJ (Obama stayed there and they closed the hotel just for him). It has happy hours for plats and free breakfasts. It is nice but not over the top nice.

The Westin CH is cool if you are in a deluxe room or better. Very modern touches, like remote controlled shades, etc. Very nice lounge. Very convenient to the airport. Not very convenient to much of central BJ or the financial district. This is much more of a convention hotel. It is busy w conventions. The grill/steak house is very nice. There often are promotions there.

Just remember, it's a HUGE city and traffic sucks. Also, fyi, the Park Hyatt BJ is amazing, IMO, if you want to spend a night or two and veer off SPG. It is located at 3pm on your dial. Have fun.

I have used a driver who speaks excellent English named Mr. Ma. Excellent English is real English, not Chinglish. He drives a black sedan and I guess he changes about 1.5-2x taxi rates -- but keep in mind that taxi rates are cheap. He is good to use if you want to make sure there is a car there to pick up u up and want to pay a premium over a taxi, like at 10pm after dinner, at a hotel, when it can be very hard to get a taxi...his cell phone number is 136 4131 7858. I have used him 2-3 times and been very impressed, but I have mostly used Beijing taxis (but I have also been dropped off at the wrong place or been late for meetings or otherwise had to wait a while with and for BJ taxis). I have also taken the BJ subway which can be very easy, especially from the STR, but again it depends on where you are going to/from, and there is also a subway stop right at the base of the Westin CH, but again it depends on where you are going to/from in terms of how many changes and stops you have to make.

Last edited by nologic; Feb 27, 2012 at 7:13 pm
Old Feb 27, 2012, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by nologic
Think of BJ as a clock. The STR is a little west of the center of the dial. Think of Tienemmen Square and the Forbidden City as the centter of the dial. The Westin CH is about 2:00 on the dial. The airport is located out past 2-3:00, but in that direction.
Minor correction; it is east of center, and I would say more than "a little" (closer to 3rd Ring than Tiananmen), but this is a nit picky point.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog
Minor correction; it is east of center, and I would say more than "a little" (closer to 3rd Ring than Tiananmen), but this is a nit picky point.
Thanks for the correction.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Headed to the Westin Ch in August for a week. As a platinum hoping this is my best option and the commute to Dawanglu is bearable.

moondog- another night out?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by chexfan
Headed to the Westin Ch in August for a week. As a platinum hoping this is my best option and the commute to Dawanglu is bearable.

moondog- another night out?
Do you mean "commute" in the sense that you're planning on going there every morning for a week and returning in the evening? If so, I think you can improve upon the Westin Chaoyang considerably. The St. Regis would be my pick if you must stick with SPG. Otherwise, the JW and RC are both on Dawang Lu (well, sort of; they have Dawang Lu addresses, but are actually several hundred meters away from it; this is a common phenomenon in Beijing.

Then, of course there are all of the hotels at Guomao (China World, China World Summit Wing, Traders, Park Hyatt, Jianguo). Getting from either Guomao the St. Regis to Dawang Rd is relatively painless by BJ standards.

Sure, I'm down for another night out.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 3:59 am

Personally I'd pick Ch over St. Regis.

At Ch they act like they're so scared of plt they'd do anything for you, not always the case in sr though. Also taxi to and from sr at night could be a hassle. Ch has better connectivity being on the metro and not too close to offices so that taxis cant be bothered.

Great brunches too =P
Old Jun 17, 2012, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by LausanneBoy
Personally I'd pick Ch over St. Regis.

At Ch they act like they're so scared of plt they'd do anything for you, not always the case in sr though. Also taxi to and from sr at night could be a hassle. Ch has better connectivity being on the metro and not too close to offices so that taxis cant be bothered.

Great brunches too =P
Our boy is contemplating commuting to Dawang Lu. Do you have any idea how painful this process is to/from the Westin Chaoyang? And, have you ever transferred between line 10 and line 1 during rush hour?
Old Jun 17, 2012, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Our boy is contemplating commuting to Dawang Lu. Do you have any idea how painful this process is to/from the Westin Chaoyang? And, have you ever transferred between line 10 and line 1 during rush hour?
I can stay at the Ritz and walk to the office as I have before.

-OR- I can be a slave to Starwood.

What kind of commute are we talking about on the Metro? by cab (if necessary)?

Thanks for looking out for me moondog.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by chexfan
I can stay at the Ritz and walk to the office as I have before.

-OR- I can be a slave to Starwood.
Chexy listen to Moondog and stay at the Ritz. If you have an Amex Plat or Cent you might even get a Club upgrade as I always have at the Ritz FS. And F&B credits. Commuting across Beijing is horrific and continually getting worse.

The Starwood hotels are just fine in Beijing, but the top 3 criteria are location, location, & location.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Which category 4 (or lower) hotel in Beijing?

I have a free weekend night for cat 4 or lower that I would like to use before I start a 10 day tour of China. Hotel for the following night would be Grand Gongda Jianguo Hotel (part of the tour package).

Any recommendation as to where I should go? (I love lounges. )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.