Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please Report Your Platinum Upgrade Problems

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2003, 10:42 pm

William (alias Starwood Lurker)--oops it should be the other way around-- here's my experience re: upgrades.I recently stayed at the Sheraton Centre in Toronto. They always give me Club Lounge access--no complaints there. This time, armed with the knowledge from this forum I asked about a suite upgrade. I was told None was available. 2 days later when I was changing room rates (Not Rooms) I asked, again, for the elusive suite. I was told that I have already been upgraded to a Corner Room in keeping with my Platinum Status--implying I should be happy with it. What do you think of this?
Old Mar 21, 2003, 11:53 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
My suite or very large corner room u/g experiences fall into 3 categories:
1) Often/always granted with no pleading/negotiations: Sheraton Grand, Sacramento; Sheraton Gateway, LAX; Sheraton Anaheim; Sheraton Uptown ABQ.

2) Often granted with some or lengthy pleas/negotiations/appeals: Sheraton Russell (NYC); Westin Maui; Westin Santa Clara; Westin Horton Plaza (SAN); Westin LaPaloma (TUS).

3) Falls on deaf ears: Westin LGB (actually downgraded last stay but FOM "found" a room type we had reserved); Westin Bayshore (YVR).

4) The Westin SEA fits a special category. When after 20 stays, I was never u/g to a suite, I asked the very kind FOM who explained persuasively that the suites have poorer views than the killer Puget Sound views preferred by most Plats and Plats often turn down such suite u/gs, preferring the better view of the non-suites.
The total # of suites a prop has does seem to have a lot to do with how easy Plat. u/gs are given. I wish that properties would work on Plat reservations more than at the moment of arrival. That would go a long way to accord Plats. the u/g benefits of the T&C.

[This message has been edited by Ocn Vw 1K (edited 03-21-2003).]
Old Mar 22, 2003, 12:39 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Fishbait:
We *might* stay there again in the future (we go to WDW at least 3x a year).
</font>
Why?! IMHO, you should have done as OMNAMASKAR did and gone elsewhere on this trip, never to return. Why would anyone even contemplate spending thousands of dollars to be treated like crap?
Old Mar 22, 2003, 7:00 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Kremmen:
Why?! IMHO, you should have done as OMNAMASKAR did and gone elsewhere on this trip, never to return. Why would anyone even contemplate spending thousands of dollars to be treated like crap?</font>
Excellent question Kremmen! First and foremost, we try to remain loyal to the Starwood brands.. I am a very (if blindy) optimistic person, and I believe that someday, such hotels will live up to their own promises. They cannot have it both ways: Using SPG to attract potential guests and then disregarding the promised benefits. For the record, SPG has been very good to us for the most part!

Secondly, both the Swan and Dolphin are extremely well located! The other 5 (all Disney) hotels in that general area are much more expensive (but yes, nicer!). This location is absolutely KEY to our WDW visits.

Robin

Old Mar 23, 2003, 9:15 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
1/ very good
Palace Hotel, San Francisco. Upgrade to a very pleasant junior suite for a combined paid/award stay. Check-in staff very courteous and helpful (March 17th-20th)

2/ good
- Four Points LAX. Upgrade to a very large room. Still no amenity points, though. (January 18th-19th)
- Sheraton Gateway LAX. Upgrade to a very large and pleasant room (February 8th-9th)

3/ very bad
Four Points LAX. Allocated at check-in a room on an outside corridor, where all rooms were opened because technicians were working on a LodgeNet system. The air conditioning unit was generating heat, as all these rooms, according to the LodgeNet technicians. After calling the front desk and waiting for someone to come for half an hour, I went down and asked to be transferred to another room, which, although not a suite, had a functioning TV and air conditioning. No apologies whatsoever. No amenity points (March 6th-7th)

[This message has been edited by JOUY31 (edited 03-23-2003).]
Old Mar 24, 2003, 1:15 pm
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ac777:
William (alias Starwood Lurker)--oops it should be the other way around-- here's my experience re: upgrades.I recently stayed at the Sheraton Centre in Toronto. They always give me Club Lounge access--no complaints there. This time, armed with the knowledge from this forum I asked about a suite upgrade. I was told None was available. 2 days later when I was changing room rates (Not Rooms) I asked, again, for the elusive suite. I was told that I have already been upgraded to a Corner Room in keeping with my Platinum Status--implying I should be happy with it. What do you think of this?</font>
Well, without having your travel dates, there is no way for me to know what was or was not available, so, I guess I have to think that you were upgraded in accordance with your Platinum status to a corner room that was available when you arrived.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Mar 24, 2003, 7:54 pm

Thanks William. March 15-18 incl.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 9:24 pm

Here's a platinum upgrade issue - you might have to read a bit into it to see what the problem was.

I stayed at Sheraton Reston Hotel (Virginia) on the evening of Sunday, March 23, 2003. I was assigned to Club Level room 694. I proceeded to room 694 where the key did not work.

I went back down to the lobby and was sent up with two new keys. Keys still did not work.

Called down to lobby from 6th floor elevator foyer phone. Front desk guy comes up and tries keys himself - still not working. He is also carrying a set of keys for a different room - room 580.

Keys to room 580 work fine. So I got a different room then the one I was originally supposed to get. Turns out that room 580 was a suite. 694 was not (stayed here before).

So as a Platinum, I thought I am supposed to be upgraded to the best room available. Why was the suite not given to me right off the bat?

I only stayed for 1 night, which negates that argument that the suite needs to be available for the entire stay...
Old Mar 24, 2003, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Over the past year:

Westin Embassy Row - one sort of upgrade or another every time (of course, they do have 40-something suites) - pretty consistent with the amenity

Westin Grand D.C. - never upgraded, nearly always need to remind them about the amenity -- i understand they have a limited number of suites, but you think they'd work on the other components of recognition.

(actually - william - does the grand have different tiers of rooms they could upgrade customers to if there are not suites available? this would be useful to know if i have to stay there again)

Westin O'Hare - 100% compliant

Sheraton Premiere - it's a tired hotel, but their recognition was fine ("club level" room)

Westin Grand Bohemian -- fantastic recognition, great upgrade

Sheraton Petalumna -- upgrade to club level room, needed reminder on the amenity

Old Mar 25, 2003, 5:29 am

I post earlier that I did not think the Shanghai Westin would give upgrades....no
Old Mar 25, 2003, 6:38 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
The number of posts in this thread has certainly surpassed my expectations and makes it clear, without any doubt, that the Starwood upgrade mechanism is broken. On the other hand, seeing as Starwood itself launched this thread and acknowledging their usually superlative customer service, I have every confidence that the offending hotels will be given the corrective talk they need and the upgrade mechanism will be fixed.

As for particular hotels that have failed to provide upgrades, I have to second JuanValdez's opinion on the Sheraton Reston. I have stayed there a handful of times and can't recall anything that looked like an upgrade....even when the parking lot only had about 10 cars in it on a weekend night. The Westin Grand in DC is another. No upgrade when I was last there.

So far, I am pleased to see that the Royal Hawaiian has not shown up as a problem hotel for upgrades. I am there for my honeymoon in October and am looking forward to an ocean view room (hopefully a suite) in the historic part of the property.

[This message has been edited by MileKing (edited 03-25-2003).]
Old Mar 25, 2003, 11:29 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by juanvaldez:
Here's a platinum upgrade issue - you might have to read a bit into it to see what the problem was.

I stayed at Sheraton Reston Hotel (Virginia) on the evening of Sunday, March 23, 2003. I was assigned to Club Level room 694. I proceeded to room 694 where the key did not work.

I went back down to the lobby and was sent up with two new keys. Keys still did not work.

Called down to lobby from 6th floor elevator foyer phone. Front desk guy comes up and tries keys himself - still not working. He is also carrying a set of keys for a different room - room 580.

Keys to room 580 work fine. So I got a different room then the one I was originally supposed to get. Turns out that room 580 was a suite. 694 was not (stayed here before).

So as a Platinum, I thought I am supposed to be upgraded to the best room available. Why was the suite not given to me right off the bat?

I only stayed for 1 night, which negates that argument that the suite needs to be available for the entire stay...
</font>
The suites they had available for this night were out of the standard suite category used for Platinum complimentary upgrades. I'm glad that they made an exception for you seeing that they had all this trouble getting you into a room.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Mar 25, 2003, 11:34 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ac777:
Thanks William. March 15-18 incl.</font>
Thanks. Suites were available. Please send me your Starwood Preferred Guest account number via email so we can have someone from the Corporate Office contact the General Manager with this information.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Mar 25, 2003, 11:52 am

William,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm a little unclear what you mean by your reply below. Room 694 (my originally assigned room) was not a suite, I believe. I am 99% sure that I have stayed in this room before and that it is just a standard room on the Club Level floor.

From SPG's web site, it states the the Platinum Upgrade Benefit as:
"Our Best Room: You'll automatically be upgraded to our best available guest room at check-in. "

Can you please clarify what you stated below? Are you stating that the suite I got was not an "available" guest room?

Thanks in advance!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Starwood Lurker:
The suites they had available for this night were out of the standard suite category used for Platinum complimentary upgrades. I'm glad that they made an exception for you seeing that they had all this trouble getting you into a room.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
</font>

[This message has been edited by juanvaldez (edited 03-25-2003).]
Old Mar 25, 2003, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

From the Terms and Conditions, which speak for themselves:

1. Upgrade to the best available room, including Select Standard Suites at time of check-in. Specialty Suites such as, but not limited to, premium view, Presidential, Honeymoon, and multiple bedroom suites, etc. are excluded. Upgrade is subject to availability at time of check-in and will vary by property. The upgrade benefit is available for one room for the personal use of the member only, regardless of the number of additional rooms purchased by the member.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.