Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please Report Your Platinum Upgrade Problems

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2003, 12:17 pm

Thanks for the clarification. The fine print saves the day again...

Since I only stayed for 1 night and checked in around 10pm, I still think the hotel should have offered me the suite in the first place. I doubt it was reserved for anyone else.

That sort of attention would really add weight to the importance of my Platinum membership with Starwood, instead of being upgraded only because something went wrong.

But I agree that the hotel did go beyond the "Terms and Conditions" and I am eternally grateful. Makes me wonder why the Sheraton Reston did not make Conde Nast Gold List this year.

[This message has been edited by juanvaldez (edited 03-25-2003).]
Old Mar 25, 2003, 3:22 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by venk:
Sheraton Heathrow

Often downgraded because "it is a new room".
</font>
I can't say I've been downgraded there, but certainly haven't seen a whiff of an upgrade. Even after asking at the desk on check-in, I got the usual 'sorry, not availble' brush off, even though it was clear the hotel was practically empty and looking on the floor map, I doubt they could have found me a smaller room.

On the positive side, the Four Points in Cologne was one of the most pleasant experiences in terms of Plat benefits, but sadly it's the exception, not the rule.

My Platinum year expired last month... and I can't say I tried desperately to retain it. Hilton Gold may not have as many 'on-paper' benefits, but at least it's been more consistent.

Pix.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 9:45 pm

Thanks William. You have mail from gargoyl!!!
Old Mar 26, 2003, 8:10 am

I agree with you 100% on the consistency issue. I am also Diamond with Hyatt and I notice that they have consistently upgraded me to a suite or something "WOW" (like private cottage at their Lake Tahoe resort - that was on an award stay, too).

So while neither hotel needs to put me in their "best" room, Starwood says I am entitled to the "best" room available. It's somewhat misleading to put conditions on that by saying that suites are excluded.

They should just change the benefit to read that Platinums will be upgraded, rather than set false expectations and say that we are entitled to the best room available. That's misleading.

While Starwood has a great program, I think that Hyatt has better upgrades, even if their points program is weaker. My business has shifted accordingly. For instance, when I am doing business in DC area, I used to stay at Sheraton Reston during the week and the Westin Grand DC during the weekend. Now that combo has changed to the Hyatt Regency Reston and the Park Hyatt DC.

I think Starwood wins hands down when it comes to the value of their program points, but I think the lack of consistency with regards to upgrading, and the misleading benefit telling me to expect their best room weakens the program.

It's ridiculous to check into a Westin, for example, and to get upgraded to the Executive Level, where, more often than not, there is just a plaque that says "Executive Level". Gee, thanks for the upgrade.

OK, I'm done ranting.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pixuk:

My Platinum year expired last month... and I can't say I tried desperately to retain it. Hilton Gold may not have as many 'on-paper' benefits, but at least it's been more consistent.

Pix.
</font>
Old Mar 27, 2003, 8:35 am

I've had very bad luck with upgrading at US properties, but better luck in Asia.
The worst experience I had was last month at the Westin Santa Clara, where the desk agent sternly told me "We don't upgrade Platinums".

I too lost my Platinum status last month, as I've been underwelmed at the benefits.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
William,

Must admit that trying to get a suite upgrade gets pretty frustrating! I feel like I must now check the website or call ahead anonymously to find out what is really available at the hotels as desk clerks are so quick to say "sorry, that's all weve got!"

Since I turned Platinum:

Westin NY Times Sq - 1 day nov - received 1 room upg. Told suites weren't available yet.

Westin PR - 7 days - Thanksgiving - 1 room upgrade - had to fight for Club access but was refused club floor.

Westin Mission Hills - 8 days - December - zip

Westin Diplomat - 1 night - January - fantastic suite upgrade.

W - SF - two 1 night stays - Jan and Feb - first stay - fantastic suite, 1 room upg on second stay - desk clerk refused to offer more.

Sheraton Universal city - 3 days Feb - club room upgrade after pushing for it

Westin Grande Vancouver - 2 Days - March - all rooms are suites - got 1 room upgrade. On second day, asked if there was a king room available - told no without desk clerk having enough time to look.

Westin Philadelphia - 1 day - March. Desk clerk was horrible to my husband who checked in before me - 1 room upgrade with difficulty.

Westin Whistler - 5 days using points - March. Got 1 room upgrade. When asked about suite, desk clerk responded that at resorts, 1 room upgrade was all Platinums were entitled too!

I have never had a problem getting the 500 pt platinum amenity.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 11:02 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Great upgrades at W Lakeshore, W san diego, W Westwood, W Times Square (on a $ 25 stay no less), SF palace, Royal Orchid Bangkok, HOtel Pulitzer Amsterdam, Four points Fresno.

Awful at Four points San Rafael (stayed 2 nights this week Wednesday-Thursday).
Old Mar 30, 2003, 6:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Just stayed at the Arabellasheraton Grand Hotel, Munich. Got upgraded to what appeared to be a Standard Towers room. Not sure of their availability, but my floor did not seem to be too busy.

I realized my room was just average when I looked at the brochure and thought the pictures of the rooms looked much nicer than my room, although my room was nice and the bathroom was really nice.

The breakfast and evening buffets at the lounge were superb.

Was not offered a choice of amenities, but was given a tray of fruit. Am I entitled to choose points or is that just in the US?

Always treated well at the Belgravia Sheraton.

Fabulous upgrade at the Westin Diplomat--Got a suite with jaw dropping views.
Old Mar 31, 2003, 2:07 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Nevsky:
Was not offered a choice of amenities, but was given a tray of fruit. Am I entitled to choose points or is that just in the US?</font>
Amenity choice is not available in Europe.
Old Apr 5, 2003, 11:28 am

Programs: DL GM/2.7MM, Marriott Lifetime PL, SPG Lifetime PL,Hilton Gold, Natl Lifetime Exec Elite
William,
Was on the Govt rate and was told no upgrade was available nor club access provided (even after I asked the mgr to recoginize my Platinum card) on a stay a year and half ago at Westin, P. Rico. I solved the problem by just staying at the Marriott on all subsequent trips to San Juan (monthly) and have always had access to the lounge. On the other hand most of the other *wood properties have honored the upgrade request (though some needed some gentle pushing) even on reward stays. The best hotel in my experience at honoring an upgrade request has been the 4 points in Ft. Walton Beach.

------------------
former EASTERN ET,AA Gold,US Gold. Current DL PM-MM,Marriott PL, SPG PLT, Hilton Gold

[This message has been edited by MM/PM widget (edited 04-05-2003).]
Old Apr 6, 2003, 9:46 am

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Starwood Lurker:
[b]From the Terms and Conditions, which speak for themselves:

1. Upgrade to the best available room...... Specialty Suites such as, but not limited to, premium view, .................</font>
Oh sh&%t, there's the catch all for the properties that just don't want to give up suites. Few suites overlook alleys.
Old Apr 6, 2003, 10:04 am

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by juanvaldez:
I agree with you 100% on the consistency issue. I am also Diamond with Hyatt and I notice that they have consistently upgraded me to a suite or something "WOW" (like private cottage at their Lake Tahoe resort - that was on an award stay, too).
</font>
I find this so hard to believe. I am both Diamond and Platinum and have been both since the inception of both programs. With the exception of a few properties that I have individual VIP status at I rarely get an automatic suite upgrade at Hyatt properties. You can request and plead I suppose but it is NOT a benefit with Hyatt Diamond and you are at the mercy of the front office.

Hyatt: With that said, when making a polite request I have found both the request granted and refused. I now only ask ahead of time when negotiating a stay and really needing or wanting a suite.

Starwood: I have never been refused generally finding myself pre-booked into a suite, or suites just plain unavailable. I have been lied to a few times but not recently and never at the higher end hotels.

This difference is what originally made me shift in loyalty. I came into Starwood via Westin and rarely patronized St. Regis or Sheraton beforehand always going Hyatt or Westin first. In fact it was Hoyt Harper who as I recall was then in charge of the new SPG program who coaxed me into trying Sheraton who had called me after a discussion I had with Barry Sternlicht.

Here's a simple unarguable fact: Hyatt policy from the top is "Diamond's are not entitled to suites, properties may elect to upgrade them at their own discretion". Starwood: "Platinum's are entitled to suites up to a certain category and the properties must comply". As all of us that read this board now know, Starwood actually polices the properties to enforce this policy. That's huge.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold, , IHG Gold
Westin Embassy Row - last week - first tried to put me in a smoking room, not upgraded room even though the confirmation clearly stated non-smoking. As I was checking in early, but was not in a rush, asked for an upgraded room, non-smoking, I could check into later in the day. Gentleman in front of me was given a suite, and a big smile. I got nothing.... Returned to hotel at 4:00 pm, was put in a tiny room (arm chair abutted bed, which virtually abutted the desk) w/no high-speed internet. Called and got manager. Only room left with high-speed was "standard". Looked out on the alley. (ps: Nice old hotel, I remember when it was the RC, time for some facelifting though. It's starting to show a lot of wear and tear.)

Conversely, Sheraton Cleveland and Sheraton Danbury - big to-do over Plat. status, upgraded to very nice rooms. The people at both these hotels made me feel that Plat. meant something to them.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 6:38 pm
Original Member

Starwood Lurker,

Despite 40 nights this year at Stamford Westin, was not upgraded to club level room. Front desk says club level is "oversold". The place is empty.

Walked upstairs and checked availability. Lots of club level rooms appear to be open on the web site. How could this be?

What do I got to do to get a little love at this hotel?
Old Apr 8, 2003, 12:35 am

I used to stay at this hotel back in 1997 when it was the Sheraton Stamford. I remember that the hotel was quite nice for a Sheraton (hence the rebranding to Westin), but that the service and hospitality was quite bad, with a couple of exceptions.

I got fed up after a while and just rented a corporate apartment. If you are staying here a lot, you might want to consider doing that. There are some nice corporate apartments across from Stamford mall.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hreamer:
Starwood Lurker,

Despite 40 nights this year at Stamford Westin, was not upgraded to club level room. Front desk says club level is "oversold". The place is empty.

Walked upstairs and checked availability. Lots of club level rooms appear to be open on the web site. How could this be?

What do I got to do to get a little love at this hotel?
</font>

[This message has been edited by juanvaldez (edited 04-08-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.