Wiki Posts
Search

Please Report Your Platinum Upgrade Problems

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2003, 12:23 pm
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TerryK:
Thanks to William for the proactive approach to customer service. Nothing unusual for him, of course.

Nothing recent to report here, but I am wondering if a Platinum member books a one-bedroom suite, would he/she be upgraded to a two-bedroom suite? I understand that two-bedrooom suites are not normally included for Platinum upgrades.
</font>
According to the Terms and Conditions:

1. Upgrade to the best available room, including Select Standard Suites at time of check-in. Specialty Suites such as, but not limited to, premium view, Presidential, Honeymoon, and multiple bedroom suites, etc. are excluded. Upgrade is subject to availability at time of check-in and will vary by property. The upgrade benefit is available for one room for the personal use of the member only, regardless of the number of additional rooms purchased by the member.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Cast your vote! Visit www.freddieawards.com and choose your favorite frequent travel programs today.

Old Mar 12, 2003, 12:37 pm
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LEX-TEAGUE:
This will probably sound like a complaint, but it really isn't. I stay at Starwood properties because I like them.

As a platinum, I have _never_ received an upgrade - even to a club room. I usually go ahead and pay for a club room because I got tired of the "go-round" at the front desk. Never once seen a suite, even a junior suite.

I have, twice in the past 12 months, been downgraded. Most recently at the Four Points Harrisburg. I reserved (and paid for) a non-smoking King bed corner room with balcony. When I checked in, was given a ordinary room, two doubles, no balcony. Ashtray was present in the room, but didn't smell of smoke. When I went down to the desk to complain, was told that upgrades are not guaranteed. I showed them the printout of my reservation and informed them that I was not after an upgrade, only the room I paid for. Desk staff looked blankly at their screens for a few minutes and said "We already upgraded someone into that room. Sorry". It was midnight and I had a 7:30am meeting with the Governor, so I needed my beauty rest. So - to make a long story short - they won.

I can do without the suites - I guess they would be a nice perk. It does really gripe me when I do get a "run-of-the-house" room - regardless of the rate paid. It usually means that the person behind the desk doesn't give a fig and stuck me in the first available room to appear on his/her screen.
</font>
It would be extremely helpful if you could name some names of hotels where you've stayed - other than the Four Points Harrisburg, that is.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Cast your vote! Visit www.freddieawards.com and choose your favorite frequent travel programs today.

[This message has been edited by Starwood Lurker (edited 03-12-2003).]
Old Mar 12, 2003, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That means there will be no upgrade benefit for Platinum booking a one-bedroom suite. Wouldn't this discourage Platinums from booking suites?

[This message has been edited by TerryK (edited 03-12-2003).]
Old Mar 12, 2003, 2:02 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kelly786:
If you are ever in Chicago, try:
Westin O'Hare-Great staff, good Platinum recognition. Platinum Amenity points posted right away!kelly786
</font>
thanx , kelly
i will give it a shot next time there.

karsten

Old Mar 12, 2003, 2:58 pm

Westin San Diego, Ca Horton Plaza..........NEVER have received an upgrade!!!
Old Mar 12, 2003, 3:11 pm

Location: Orange County, CA ; AA Plat, Starwood Plat, Hilton Gold
W San Diego : called hotel a minute before checking in, suites were available. Upon check in, inquired if there was an upgrade available. Front Desk inquired if I had use points to make the reservation. When I answered yes, received an immediate reply that there were no upgrades available. Plat amenity was not offered. It took a call to service express during the stay, and an email to spg an month later to receive the points.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
Shearton Phuket Sep 02 upgraded to a HUGE 2 bedroom Villa great job!!

Westin O'hare 3/03 No Upgrade offered

Shearton IAH airport always upgraded. The front desk does a nice job with Platinum there.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 4:02 pm

If I can make a suggestion, what would really help is if Starwood got all hotels to include in the folder PLTs get at check-in, a standard Platinum welcome letter (or even a small note) that listed the benefits they were being given that day as PLTs and listing the type of upgrade provided (or a "sorry, full" item mandatorily checked if none available). This would serve as a written record of the benefits provided, help remind the hotel of their obligations and make the PLTs feel good about their status being recognized.

I suspect this alone would improve compliance more than any re-training program
Old Mar 12, 2003, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Westin Puerto Villarta: EXCELLENT recognition. i was almost embarrassed. great duplex suite. special check-in desk.

Sheraton Boston: excellent recognition and junior suite upgrade.

W New Orleans: superb recognition and service.

Sheraton New Orleans: put me in a suite that was directly below construction. front desk staffed by idi*ts. awful customer service. only hotel in my life that i had to actually check out early and walk to another hotel (the W NO).

W Seattle: Solid recognition but just doesn't have enough suites to upgrade Platinums. I have NEVER seen a suite at this property.

St. Regis Rome: Not impressed with recognition.

Amsterdam Pulitzer: Indifferent service but upgraded me.

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited 03-12-2003).]
Old Mar 12, 2003, 9:26 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Great initiative, thank you Lurker!!
Old Mar 12, 2003, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond *Wood Gold, Hertz PC
Sheraton Premier - Tysons Corner, VA - never

Seems like they don't even know what the program is if you check in late - as I have in the past. Maybe it's because the bartender was coming over to run the front desk in his spare time the last time I was there. (I wish I was kidding, but I'm not)
Old Mar 12, 2003, 9:56 pm

Places that just don't care about Platinum Status:
Westin Tabor Center- Very lucky if you can convince the front desk to give you a high floor number, always stuck by the elevator

Westin Rio Mar- Absolutely the worst. Booked king bed no view got two queens ocean view was told no other availability. Spoke with Manager and was offered to push the beds together. Called Platinum Concierge and was told Jr suite was available. They called the hotel and were able to upgrade

Sheraton on the Falls- booked non-smoking king ended up with smoking / two doubles. Was told that the hotel missed my platinum status that morning and my room preference. Hotel gave me suite next night but was only there for 3 days.

Sheraton Atlantic City- Never a suite but at least on club floor

Sheraton NY Towers- Never a suite and the last few time club level closed so no perks. My sister although got breakfast coupons because the club floor was closed and she is only Gold, go figure.

Some of the better places-

Sheraton Port Douglas- Got the Captain Cook suite it was our honeymoon. This room only made up for all the missed upgrades

Sheraton SFO airport
Four Point SFO airport
Sheraton Reading PA

In conclusion the system is very flawed it takes hounding the desk clerk to get a better room, something I hate doing after a long days travel. I get better recognition as a Hilton Gold member then a Platinum Starwood. Starwood needs a better way of allotting upgrades to platinum members, maybe at a minimum offer us reservable upgrade coupons so that we know what we are getting before being checked in. Basically I don't see a clear distinction between a Gold and Platinum member besides # of bonus points and a wonderful concierge desk
Old Mar 13, 2003, 12:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I assume this does not cover award rooms.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Starwood Lurker:
According to the Terms and Conditions:

1. Upgrade to the best available room, including Select Standard Suites at time of check-in. Specialty Suites such as, but not limited to, premium view, Presidential, Honeymoon, and multiple bedroom suites, etc. are excluded. Upgrade is subject to availability at time of check-in and will vary by property. The upgrade benefit is available for one room for the personal use of the member only, regardless of the number of additional rooms purchased by the member.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

</font>
Old Mar 13, 2003, 2:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 2MM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JLL5100:
Weston Peachtree Atlanta--
By the way, this property has no executive or club lounge, so a room upgrade is the only perk for a platinum guest other than the 500 pts.Thanks for all your support, William
</font>
I had a five-night award stay at the Westin Peachtree in November. About two weeks before arrival, I received the following e-mail from Cherinda Elom:

Dear bl1kitw,

The staff at The Westin Peachtree Plaza, Atlanta, GA are excited to have you to our property soon! We are expecting your arrival on November 19, 2002, and hope you stop by our SPG Preferred Guest Desk at check-in You'll surely enjoy our patented Heavenly Beds and the hotel's heavenly views of Atlanta.

If you have any questions prior to your arrival, feel free to call us at (404)659-1400. Or for more information on the hotel, you can also visit our website at www.westin.com/peachtree.

Again, we look forward to having you back!

Sincerely,

The Staff of the Westin Peachtree Plaza

This lead me to expect good things upon arrival. Because my award stay was confirmed with two double beds and I was traveling alone, I sent an e-mail back to Cherinda Elom, advising her that a room with one or two beds would be fine if that would lead to a better upgrade.

At check-in (at the SPG Preferred Guest Desk/line, which had a longer queue than the other CSR's), I was given a standard room on the club level but there is no club lounge. I asked about breakfast coupons and was told they were not a benefit.

I was traveling with two associates, each of whom checked in at different times. One, an SPG gold on a paid stay, received a club level upgrade but no breakfast coupons. However, our other associate (traveling with her husband, neither of them having any SPG status), had booked a club level room so we could all meet in the lounge (we expected existed) received breakfast coupons for two for each of the five nights without asking.

I received two bottles of water on day three, none on arrival or the other days and turndown service on three of the five nights.

In January, I had a paid stay at the Westin Atlanta Airport. Three days before arrival, my reservation confirmation (online) changed from a standard room to a club level room, with a list of amenities. However, upon arrival at the hotel, the desk clerk told me that the club level was sold out, so I received a standard room on a standard floor with no lounge access (closed on weekends) and no breakfast coupons.

How about sending some staff from the Four Points LAX to train the Westin front desk people?

------------------
Biggest Little 1K (in The Biggest Little City) In The World

[This message has been edited by BL1KITW (edited 03-13-2003).]
Old Mar 13, 2003, 6:52 am

The Westin Seattle late last month -- I was told that getting a non-smoking room *was* my Platinum upgrade. Also, could someone explain why you're charged $2.00 there to use the phone to call SPG customer service? Why did I have to call customer service instead of just using the "Service Express" button on the phone? That was the only was I could find out the name of the Westin Seattle's general manager.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.