Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please Report Your Platinum Upgrade Problems

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2003, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Plat; UAL 1K, Starwood Plat
I'm not one to push for suite upgrades, so I'm only batting about 50%. The worst offenders are:

Portland Westin 0/3
Santa Clara Westin 0/2
Old Mar 11, 2003, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM - Bad upgrade luck. "...Diamond in the back... Diggin the scene with a gangsta lean..."
This will probably sound like a complaint, but it really isn't. I stay at Starwood properties because I like them.

As a platinum, I have _never_ received an upgrade - even to a club room. I usually go ahead and pay for a club room because I got tired of the "go-round" at the front desk. Never once seen a suite, even a junior suite.

I have, twice in the past 12 months, been downgraded. Most recently at the Four Points Harrisburg. I reserved (and paid for) a non-smoking King bed corner room with balcony. When I checked in, was given a ordinary room, two doubles, no balcony. Ashtray was present in the room, but didn't smell of smoke. When I went down to the desk to complain, was told that upgrades are not guaranteed. I showed them the printout of my reservation and informed them that I was not after an upgrade, only the room I paid for. Desk staff looked blankly at their screens for a few minutes and said "We already upgraded someone into that room. Sorry". It was midnight and I had a 7:30am meeting with the Governor, so I needed my beauty rest. So - to make a long story short - they won.

I can do without the suites - I guess they would be a nice perk. It does really gripe me when I do get a "run-of-the-house" room - regardless of the rate paid. It usually means that the person behind the desk doesn't give a fig and stuck me in the first available room to appear on his/her screen.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 8:37 pm

I get confused over what's supposed to be offered in Europe, but if I was supposed to get either an upgrade or amenity at the Westin Rotterdam, I got neither. I didn't argue about it since the room was small but perfectly serviceable, but there it is.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks to William for the proactive approach to customer service. Nothing unusual for him, of course.

Nothing recent to report here, but I am wondering if a Platinum member books a one-bedroom suite, would he/she be upgraded to a two-bedroom suite? I understand that two-bedrooom suites are not normally included for Platinum upgrades.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 8:48 pm

Never been upgraded in the Westin Galleria Houston
Old Mar 11, 2003, 9:21 pm

Sheraton Heathrow

Often downgraded because "it is a new room".
Old Mar 11, 2003, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Two separate stays at the Westin Sydney last November. No upgrade at all, but was given access to the club lounge.

The Sheraton Noosa Heads in Australia last November. No upgrade.

The Sheraton Mirage Gold Coast in Australia last November. No upgrade.

The Essex House New York in January. No upgrade. Finally fed up and spoke to the manager the next day.

The Sheraton Park Lane in January. No upgrade. Became politely insistent and a suite materialized within the hour.

Honestly pretty fed up with the whole deal. It seems that unless you ask, and sometime become insistant, there are no upgrades.

Old Mar 11, 2003, 10:22 pm
cxn

Sheraton Park Tower London - No (but great front desk staff)
Westin Tokyo - No
Sheraton Singaport - Yes
Sheraton Seattle - Yes
Westin Dublin - Yes
Shearton Rio - Yes
W Newark - Yes
Essex House - No (no plans to ever return)
Paris - No (no plans to ever return)
Old Mar 11, 2003, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The St. Francis - other than one "special stay" (comp because of other issues which the hotel handled properly), I have never received anything resembling a suite or junior suite, but usually receive a nice tower room. The Royal Hawaiian "upgraded" me to a tiny marginal room (they even knew it was my birthday in advance). I suppose the biggest "peeve" is Sheraton upgrades to a club floor when the club room is closed on the weekend - while some just give you a breakfast coupon in exchange for this issue, for example the SHERATON CONCORD (CA) seems to always have an issue with Platinums - from trying to charge me for the upgrade (this possibly did not happen in the past year) from them not knowing how to treat a plat, to deciding that the breakfast coupon when the lounge is closed just shouldn't happen. The Sheraton Anchorage is another problem. 3 stays last year (April, May and June) and each was progressively worse - with very untrained front desk staff - April - nice suite (after a problem room) w/breakfast coupon due to closed weekend clublounge to June - a basic room w/access to a closed lounge and no breakfast.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 11:15 pm

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
William-

Thanks for you and Starwood's concern on this matter, it is greatly appreciated!

I have posted this before... but I stay at the Sheraton Anchorage about 10x per year. Even when the hotel is near empty, I am never upgraded. The lounge is fair... but they do not make any real recognition of status or returning guest.

Today, I returned from Salt Lake City. My first stay ever at the SLC Sheraton. Not impressed. The front desk clerk knew nothing about any amenity or status recognition. When I inquired further he told me I could have free breakfast- in the lounge... I was not on the club floor. He, also, told me I could have a free movie. Then he said ooh... I guess I could have 500 points. No card however. Then at checkout, my invoice showed 0 starpoints earned. I asked, and the front desk clerk had no clue what I was talking about.

On the positive side...

Westin Embassy Row in DC- EXCELLENT
Pulitzer in Amsterdam- EXCELLENT
Sheraton Gateway in Toronto- EXCELLENT
Westin in Fort LAuderdale- Very Good

Old Mar 12, 2003, 12:47 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
Property: W New York / Lexington Ave
Date: 29/30 June 2002

At check-in, no upgraded room offered.

After asking whether my room was 'best available', desk agent told me that a 'business room' was available.

A quick call to SPG revealed plenty of suite availability. Only after getting SPG to call the hotel manager was a suite released (although no apology or explanation was offered). I needn't have bothered: the hotel was a dump. (With pictures for your viewing pleasure).

Left a very bad taste in my mouth. I won't return to this property.

Old Mar 12, 2003, 12:51 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
Just as a matter of clarification, this thread is about situations where upgrade rooms were available but not offered, not merely about situations when upgrades were unavailable, right?

I notice several posters have noted that they were not upgraded at the Westin Sydney and the Sheraton Park Towers -- both of these properties have large numbers of Gold / Platinum guests and few upgrade rooms; at these properties it is entirely conceivable that upgrades are genuinely not available.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 2:42 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by squeakr:
looks like you are a gold and not plat..I think Lurker is asking for Plat experiences....</font>
Squeakr: We stayed there as Platinums.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 3:53 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by venk:
Sheraton Heathrow Often downgraded because "it is a new room".</font>
that was about my experience there and the same with the sheraton jfk :
a room as "big" as a lufthansa sh*thouse.
seems to be common with those airport hotels.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 3:56 am

Zero recognition / amenity / upgrades at any of the Arabella properties in Germany or Switzerland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.