Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please Report Your Platinum Upgrade Problems

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2003, 7:47 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Sheraton Le Centre Montreal.. never an upgrade !
Old Mar 16, 2003, 9:31 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
i second the previous poster on montreal and add my criticism of the westin portland, which on 3 occasions has failed to provide any sort of upgrade, even as the website shows various suites available late into the afternoon.
the seattle sheraton have already been mentioned in many threads
Old Mar 16, 2003, 5:29 pm

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
Practically none.

Not always a suite, but always Ececutive/Club etc. Floor. Usually a suite, always when I've needed them.

I just don't get it. I'm not sure I believe some of the "batting averages" that are reported here.
Old Mar 16, 2003, 9:34 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
I have stayed at the Sheraton Towers at least 6 times this year and have been never been upgraded to a suite. Great service, plat amenity plus fruit/wine basket.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 11:55 am
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by beachfan:
William, can you confirm this? It refers to the upgrade policy.
Thanks a million!

</font>
You can be upgraded on a award subject to availability at check-in.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Mar 17, 2003, 12:20 pm

Sheraton Winnipeg: 100% upgraded,
Sheraton Wallcenter Vancouver: 90% upgraded
Sheraton Montreal downtown: 90% upgraded.

Good enough to keep me happy.

keep it up...
Old Mar 17, 2003, 1:12 pm

Westin Bangkok 03/01/03 Was upgraded to a suite but to an unrenovated room and not on the executive floor. My biggest gripe was that although I was told I had access to the executive lounge, I was denied free access to the internet in the lounge because I was merely an upgrade. I was told that I would have to use the internet in the business center and pay for the service. When I expressed my concerns with the front desk supervisor, she informed me that that was their policy. I promptly checked out and went to the Conrad Bangkok where I was immediately upgraded to the executive floor and had free internet access in the executive lounge. I recently experienced similar problems at the Sheraton Brussels, the Sheraton El-Gezirah Cairo and at the Sheraton Muscat, Oman. Very disappointing.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 1:28 pm

Maybe I'll have to keep trying.

Recently comped to Plat (based on both Marriott Plat & HH Diamond). Now at 6 stays, no suite yet. Club level maybe half. Had heard great things about SW... but I'm not a person who enjoys "fighting" for things. I expect what I pay for, and anything above that is appreciated.

Marriott doesn't offer as much, but IMO they are excellent at giving what they say they do. Never have to ask, and if a club level room isn't available (which is very rare), they almost always apologize for it. I find they run &gt;98% in consistency. SW? No plat welcome gift two times already, let alone the mythical suite.

It's early in the game for me... so I'll stick with it for a bit. I do find the SW customer service & Plat people to be truly outstanding.

Is the consensus here you have to ask to get? If so, this sure ain't my type of program...

BTW, just curious: why don't these guys (not just SW, but all of them) adopt a policy that says you get to upgrade one "level", i.e. from regular room to club level, or if you book a club level room, you can be eligible for a suite? Would seem to be a very easy way to generate some more bucks and be more consistent.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL GM/2.7MM, Marriott Lifetime PL, SPG Lifetime PL,Hilton Gold, Natl Lifetime Exec Elite
William,
A wise person once said "perception is reality". The "perception" of most (me included) of the folks that have acheived some elite status with *wood (or any hotel chain) is that they will get a suite upon check in. The reality is it is almost always a better room (view, lounge floor etc.) but very rairly a suite. On an airline at least some of the time you know if you have gotten an upgrade before the flight leaves. I think most of the problem is the front desk does not do a good job of explaining if you have or have not received an upgraded room.

PS 4 points in Ft Walton Beach gives me an Ocean view 100% of the time and a suite to boot almost 80% of the time (my favorite place to visit!)
Westin in CVG has probably upgraded my room but who knows as it has never been a suite.

------------------
former EASTERN ET,AA Gold,US Gold. Current DL PM-MM,Marriott PL, SPG PLT, Hilton Gold
Old Mar 18, 2003, 4:54 pm

Programs: Various
Westin St Francis - No upgrade offered but I could see availability.

Sheraton Fishermans Wharf could do with a reminder as to what a Platinum card is. Asked if a king smoking room would do! I booked a non-smoking twin

More positive note - Sheraton Seattle & Towers, and Sheraton Boston - Man these properties rock at Platinum recognition.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 5:14 am

I actually got downgraded at the Sheraton Diana Majestic in Milan, I booked a deluxe and they put me in a regular single and only after complaining did I finally get moved. I did get a "already opened" bag of dried pasta as my welcome amenity.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 9:08 am

My two biggest suspects, after multiple stays:
- Westin Tokyo
- Le Centre Sheraton, Montreal

The Westin Tokyo has been discussed before (no suite, platinum amenity was skimpy- water and a few pieces of fruit, IIRC). The Sheraton Montreal usually puts me in a room on a high floor, but has never put me in a suite- it's a pretty big hotel, and other than jazzfest, hasn't seemed that busy the other times I've stayed there relative to the size of the hotel- not sure how many suites they have, though.

The good new- I've had nice rooms with lounge access at both.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 9:39 am

W French Quarter -- no upgrade even after I asked at checkin. This was several weeks before Mardi Gras and it appeared to be a slow weekend at the hotel. Got a larger room only after I called the desk from my original (tiny) room and complained. Even then, it wasn't a suite.

I sent an email to the manager w/details on other problems during my stay (including no maid service) and got no response. Very unimpressive, to say the least.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 4:25 pm

The Westin maui and the Sheraton Moana Surfrider last August, with a 5 nigbht stay each. The Moana Surfrider gave me a room in the oldest wing possible and told me it was the best avaiable. The Westin Maui was just arrogant and said they had nothing, so i got a std room which I had paid for

------------------
CO Plat, AA PLat
Starwood Plat
Old Mar 21, 2003, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA 1mm; SPG Gold
Add another to the list - I'm currently at the Century Plaza. No upgrade and didn't even get the room type I reserved.

So far 0/4 this year on Platinum Upgrades. Not too promising....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.