Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please Report Your Platinum Upgrade Problems

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2003, 1:58 pm

I often stay at the Westin Palo Alto. They will upgrade me about 30-40% of the time to a two area suite with a separate working area.

Was last there on September 23rd. Had to ask two separate people at the desk to upgrade me to a better room. That's somewhat unusual but the first guy may have been new - didn't seem to know what a Platinum upgrade was.

Stayed twice at the Westin in Times Sqare in the last year. Generally terrible service and had to spend a lot of time trying to get an upgrade to the club level.

The Westin St. Francis upgraded me once to a nice suite but that is very rare - probably been there close to ten times in the last year.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 10:02 pm

I am doing a RTW and staying only at *wood properties and here is my experience to date:
1.4Pts Montreal-- 250 points, Suite upgrade,water
2.Sheraton Munich Airport--no extra points, junior suite (or so it appeared) water, fruits- no points posted yet although they said my numbers were in their file
3.Westin Excelsior Venice Lido--huge room, great balconies. No water, no fruit plate, no points posted and they said my numbers were in the file. Manager very nice
4. Sheraton Singapore-- no suite, water, fruit plate 500points
5. Sheraton AKL--"sorry we are fully booked"-no fruit plate, no water,(yet) 500 points, not even a corner room!!No tower room. Lounge access.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 9:17 am

ARABELLASHERATON AIRPORT Munich - No upgrade offered, no other amenities, even free breakfast was denied.

Like2Fly
Old Oct 27, 2003, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
William:

While I'm loathe to complain about Starwood - here in an absolutely excellent upgraded suite in the W Chicago Lakeshore - my worst experiences (two in the past year) have been the W Seattle. I just recently stayed there and was "upgraded" to a tiny room on the 7th floor directly opposite the parking garage in the facility. When I got back to my room at 10 PM, the room was so bright that I could read a newspaper with the lights off.

This was the second time I'd gotten a lousy room at the hotel, after a string of fantastic upgrades at W hotels. Given that there are several other *wood properties in Seattle - likely the last time I set foot in the W.

BTW - I echo the remarks about the St. Regis in Washington - 2 stays in 3 years (not a big user) but always a poor room. Complained the last time and was given the manager's card - but still will stay at another property.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 6:11 am

William,

I have stayed at the Dolphin & Swan a number of times and have never received any upgrades. Most recent stay was last week.
No matter when I call or check in the hotels always seem to be sold out.

Old Oct 28, 2003, 8:18 am

William,
I am currently staying at the Sheraton Maria Isabel in Mexico City. I am staying in the 10th floor, which they tell me is an upgraded room. The room is nothing to brag about. A frien of mine (non-platinum) was placed in the 5th floor, in a room (slightly) worse than mine. Upon complaining, he has been upgraded to the 11th floor (room similar to mine). I guess my being platinum makes no difference; perhaps the hotel is full, but there are 18-19 floors and several suites, so I have the feeling that they did not go out of their way to upgrade me. Nobody mentioned anything about breakfast, or a lounge, or anything like that, so the only benefit I feel I am getting is the extra Starwood points.
I plan to return to Mexico City in the near future, but this hotel has failed to impress me.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 11:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by loquillo:
William,
I am currently staying at the Sheraton Maria Isabel in Mexico City. I am staying in the 10th floor, which they tell me is an upgraded room. The room is nothing to brag about. A frien of mine (non-platinum) was placed in the 5th floor, in a room (slightly) worse than mine. Upon complaining, he has been upgraded to the 11th floor (room similar to mine). I guess my being platinum makes no difference; perhaps the hotel is full, but there are 18-19 floors and several suites, so I have the feeling that they did not go out of their way to upgrade me. Nobody mentioned anything about breakfast, or a lounge, or anything like that, so the only benefit I feel I am getting is the extra Starwood points.
I plan to return to Mexico City in the near future, but this hotel has failed to impress me.
</font>
Isn't the Sheraton in Mexico City the one that has a lounge that has been labelled in such a way that Platinums do not have access to it? I recall someone in a client's office mentioning that on their visit there, the whole deal team changed hotels on their next visit as a matter of principle -- at least for their SPG Plat. boss.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 3:10 pm

I will ask tonight. The hotel definitely does not care about Platinum status: I have checked with some friends that stayed there in the past and they all tell me there is another tower that, although facing the back street, has rooms that are slightly larger and have been renovated within the last decade. The hotel never offered that upon check-in nor when I asked for a better room. I have cancelled my future stays there, now I am in the process of deciding where to stay. Locals have recommended the Intercontinental Presidente; I would like to stay with a Starwood property, but they just do not measure up here in Mexico City.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 5:09 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
No suite upgrades offered to me at Westin Ohare, Bangkok Royal Orchid or Westin Sukamvit in Bangkok. Same true for Westin LAX, Seattle, and the list goes on.

I do not expect upgrades to suites unless available but when a colleague of mine books in at a cheaper rate and with only Gold status and gets this, I am confused and disappointed. This is what happened at ROS and Westin Sukhamvit in Bangkok.

Why should I even try for Plat status when Golds are better treated?
Old Oct 29, 2003, 7:24 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat United Silver
Not sure if this is a problem or not but when checking into the Westin O'Hare tonight they put me in a top floor room (12th) that granted, was nice with high ceilings and such but when I realized that the room did not have HSIA they moved to me to a room on the 9th floor with HSIA and it was a two room suite! What's up with that? Isn't HSIA and two rooms better than a high ceiling and a top floor? There should be a way that we get to pick what room we want to be upgraded to and be shown what's available!

------------------
Old Oct 30, 2003, 1:42 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Arabella Sheraton Grand Munich as posted in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/008590.html .
Old Oct 30, 2003, 10:08 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cxn:
The club floor is the top floor of the tower. It is open during the week but closed during the weekend and they do not give out breakfast certs.

You dont want the suites at this hotel. They are on the main floor and you get lots of foot traffic.

Christian
</font>
Actually......I actually liked the suite I got, it had a huge jacuzzi in the living room.

Old Nov 2, 2003, 1:26 pm

Programs: 40 46'N 73 57'W; AA Gold; CO Silver
I really think I am at most 2 for 7 this year! I never ask, but that now that I think about it:

Successes (I think)
Sheraton Int'l BWI Airport
Sheraton Anaheim

Failures (just got my regular room)
W New York
Westin South Coast Plaza
Sheraton Rittenhouse Sq (Philadelphia)
Westin St. Francis (SF)
Sheraton Gateway Toronto Airport
Old Nov 2, 2003, 1:37 pm

I stayed at the much maligned Westin Edmonton a few days ago. At check-in I was told i had been upgraded to a Deluxe room (the usual story) So I asked about a suite upgrade--and GOT IT!! A very nice suite although it was smoking room--she did tell me that and asked me if I had any problems with it--I didn't. Maybe they are changing their attitude or William has been able to get to them. I am booked again there and will see what happens.
Old Nov 3, 2003, 7:35 am

Programs: HHonors, SPG, UAL - 1P
Four Points DTW - Asked for an upgrade. Was put in a Jacuzzi suite with a jacuzzi that didn't work. Also have not received my platinum amentity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.