Search

Please Report Your Platinum Upgrade Problems

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2003, 2:26 pm
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Please Report Your Platinum Upgrade Problems

We’ve heard your feedback from various postings here on Flyertalk regarding this issue and would like to do a brief survey. If you can remember specific properties where you have had problems of this kind in the past year, please let us know.

Senior management will be reviewing this information in an attempt to sort out the worst and repeat offenders for additional property level training; however, we urge you to continue using the customer service channel of your choice to report any specific incidents.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Cast your vote! Visit www.freddieawards.com and choose your favorite frequent travel programs today.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA 1mm; SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Starwood Lurker:
We’ve heard your feedback from various postings here on Flyertalk regarding this issue and would like to do a brief survey. If you can remember specific properties where you have had problems of this kind in the past year, please let us know.

Senior management will be reviewing this information in an attempt to sort out the worst and repeat offenders for additional property level training; however, we urge you to continue using the customer service channel of your choice to report any specific incidents.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Cast your vote! Visit www.freddieawards.com and choose your favorite frequent travel programs today.
</font>
Thanks for checking, William. My last three stays in the St. Regis Los Angeles - while a beautiful property - have netted me ZERO platinum benefits - no amenity and no upgrades.

My last stay at the St. Regis Washington DC netted me no platinum benefits - same as above.

Best, Lewis
Old Mar 11, 2003, 2:47 pm
Suspended

the W New York told a platinum concierge (PC) two weekends ago that they normally don't upgrade on the cheap rate i had. but, after some gentle nudging, they relented.

but, if i didn't use a PC i'm sure i would have gotten nowhere. upon checkin we had to ask for the amenity, also. it wasn't offered. my stay was March 1, 2003.

i am also pretty certain i wasn't upgraded to the "best available room" at the Westin Madrid on February 15. the "intelligence" i got from the PC was that i was pre-blocked a decent room but there was plenty better available.

i checked out but had to return due to the snowstorm in the northeast. the first room i was assigned was lousy with two double beds instead of a queen. the front desk agent noted twice about the "special rate" i had (i used an SPG50 award which cost me points, thank you). when i called down to say the room was unacceptable, miraculously a full suite appeared. i didn't get my welcome amenity for the last night but it was in my original room.

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited 03-11-2003).]
Old Mar 11, 2003, 3:02 pm

I had a problem recently at the FP Buffalo Airport where I had to inform the front desk that I was a platinum member and would always get an upgrade at this hotel. She reluctantly did so, but I had two other rooms booked the same night that she did not upgrade. I later received a survey from the hotel about my stay and made my comments known at that time.

Otherwise I have pretty much always gotten an upgrade.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 3:06 pm

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
At the Arabella Sheraton Grand in München last year they first refused to upgrade us at all (as Platinum members)(cheap rate) and then upgraded very reluctantly to a club level room.

[This message has been edited by peter42 (edited 03-12-2003).]
Old Mar 11, 2003, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Aeroman:
I had a problem recently at the FP Buffalo Airport where I had to inform the front desk that I was a platinum member and would always get an upgrade at this hotel. She reluctantly did so, but I had two other rooms booked the same night that she did not upgrade. I later received a survey from the hotel about my stay and made my comments known at that time.

Otherwise I have pretty much always gotten an upgrade.
</font>
Thanks. This is helpful, but just for the record, we only upgrade the actual Platinum member on his room only. Still, you shouldn't have to fight for that.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Old Mar 11, 2003, 3:40 pm
West Coast 1K

I have found a distinct decline in platinum benefits at the Essex House. I have had to ask for my amenity for each of the last 5+ stays. In addition, I have only received 1 upgrade in the last 8+ stays. Often I am told that I have been upgraded to a king room overlooking the park when I actually booked that room type. I'll let you know my luck on my upgrade and amenity when I go there tomorrow night.

Old Mar 11, 2003, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat; PC Plat; Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Though there may be some hotel to hotel variability, its the inconsistency that comes from the (often over busy) front-desk clerks that is so exasperating. Different clerks at the same hotel with the same management have such a different adherence to spirit of the policy. Not knowing for sure, or having to check, if one has got the "best possible room/suite" that is available is rather demoralising and embarrassing (especially when travelling with mrs arodin).

If they could all just be told to say:
"Welcome Mr. xxxxx. As a valued customer, we have you booked into the best available room - ..." every time on check in. Just that acknowledgement of the Platinum status, and the articulation of the policy (with its implied awareness of the policy) would make me feel a lot better - even if it wasn't the best available room ;-)

Old Mar 11, 2003, 4:56 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by peter42:
At the Arabella Sheraton Grand in München last year they first refused to upgrade us at all (cheap rate) and then upgraded very reluctantly to a club level room.</font>
looks like you are a gold and not plat..I think Lurker is asking for Plat experiences....
Old Mar 11, 2003, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
The Westin LAX Airport insisted that suites were not available. I had to get Platinum Concierge after them because there were suites available but the front desk kept lying about it.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Westin Edmonton, almost a half dozen stays last year and never an upgrade to anything more than one room grade. Most on weekends when suites and other top end rooms should be available.

St. Regis New York, but that's an old story, supposedly resolved...
Old Mar 11, 2003, 6:10 pm

Location: California, AA EXP,HH Gold,Hyatt Diamond, *wood PLT, Amex PLT,
William:

Really appreciate your willingness ( and obviously Starwood's) to address customer service issues. I didn't want to start another thread so hope you will forgive me addressing a question you haven't asked and that is the response from the CSR's at the Platinum #/dept. Each time I have called this particular department, I have encountered rather unhelpful and misinformed responses. A few specific instances are:

1. Called in December prior to stay at St. Regis Monarch Bay to find out possibility of upgrade to suite and was told there was no policy of upgrading Platinums to suites at this hotel. Asked about access to exec/club floor and was told the hotel didn't have one. The folks at the property were however very nice and while no suite, etc. were forthcoming they made the stay very pleasant

2. Called to make reservations for myself and 2 other colleagues for conference at Westin in Pasadena and was told I could not make reservations for more than 2 people. Each of us was getting our own room. I told this gentlmen that these people had the option of staying at other properties in the area and I wanted them to try *wood property but he didn't seem to get it. So I just hung up, called the hotel and booked three rooms without any problems.

3. Called today to find out what promotion I was registered for and had a really rude young lady respond. When I asked her for her name, she actually hung up! I was ready to rip my SPG card and mail it back to Starwood! But as usual, reading some of your posts on this board always reminds one of why we continue to be loyal to *wood.

Hope you don't mind this side issue as it doesn't really address your question directly but I do believe it merits someone's attention.

Moderators: If this is off topic, please feel free to delete.

kelly786
Old Mar 11, 2003, 6:46 pm

Great question. My experiences this year:

Hotel: Sheraton NY
Dates: 1/11 and 2/8 (5 nights each)
Upgrades: none

I've been staying at NYC hotels 4-5 nights/week since August and would transfer most of my business to Starwood IF I felt reasonably confident in a meaningful upgrade (being stuck in the tiny standard rooms at the Sheraton or W properties in NYC is not pleasant).

Thanks,
-Zombie-
Old Mar 11, 2003, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kelly786:
William:

Really appreciate your willingness ( and obviously Starwood's) to address customer service issues. I didn't want to start another thread so hope you will forgive me addressing a question you haven't asked and that is the response from the CSR's at the Platinum #/dept. Each time I have called this particular department, I have encountered rather unhelpful and misinformed responses. A few specific instances are:

1. Called in December prior to stay at St. Regis Monarch Bay to find out possibility of upgrade to suite and was told there was no policy of upgrading Platinums to suites at this hotel. Asked about access to exec/club floor and was told the hotel didn't have one. The folks at the property were however very nice and while no suite, etc. were forthcoming they made the stay very pleasant

2. Called to make reservations for myself and 2 other colleagues for conference at Westin in Pasadena and was told I could not make reservations for more than 2 people. Each of us was getting our own room. I told this gentlmen that these people had the option of staying at other properties in the area and I wanted them to try *wood property but he didn't seem to get it. So I just hung up, called the hotel and booked three rooms without any problems.

3. Called today to find out what promotion I was registered for and had a really rude young lady respond. When I asked her for her name, she actually hung up! I was ready to rip my SPG card and mail it back to Starwood! But as usual, reading some of your posts on this board always reminds one of why we continue to be loyal to *wood.

Hope you don't mind this side issue as it doesn't really address your question directly but I do believe it merits someone's attention.

Moderators: If this is off topic, please feel free to delete.

kelly786
</font>
A little off-topic, but important enough regardless.

In order to follow up on this I need your Starwood Preferred Guest account number. If you wish, copy this posting and paste in an email to the address below along with your account number and I'll be sure that the appropriate people at Platinum Concierge are made aware of your difficulties.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Old Mar 11, 2003, 7:07 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kelly786:
3. Called today to find out what promotion I was registered for and had a really rude young lady respond. When I asked her for her name, she actually hung up! I was ready to rip my SPG card and mail it back to Starwood!</font>
i wonder if there is any way they could figure out who accessed your account on the day you called.

edited to add: oops, didn't see that william was already on top of this one.

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited 03-11-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.