Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please Report Your Platinum Upgrade Problems

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2003, 11:12 am

Here's a situation that STILL irks me, even 4 months later. Booked 2 rooms, 2 doubles each at the WDW Dolphin. Purposely reserved "Resort View with Balcony", and requested that we NOT be upgraded, as the balcony is very important to us. Our ONLY request was to have an EPCOT view, as this was a special occasion, taking friends to WDW for Mr Fish's birthday, and had planned a "cake party" on the balcony to watch Illuminations. Called a day or so ahead to speak to a manager about getting rooms assigned: Same floor preferred, one or both with an EPCOT view (need not be next to each other). Made sure we were NOT upgraded to anything without a balcony. At check-in, was given two rooms, one with a King bed (for 4 people, had the kids) with no view. Spoke to the same manager who assured us there were no rooms left with EPCOT view, and that he had "upgraded" us to resort view (which we had reserved and paid for) and had spent the ENTIRE day before preassigning us (he actually rolled his eyes). We could not be moved, not the first night, not any night. The next day, after spending night crammed in this room (and being charged for a rollaway for my kids to share), saw people checking out of EPCOT View across hall. At Front Desk, was told we could not move to this room, even for one night. Same manager actually told us that he cares nothing for SPG status, as they are a convention hotel and cater to those guests ONLY. I understand this - to a point, but it was stated to me rather rudely. Over the course of four days, we saw people checking in and out of rooms across hall (with our preferred view) and were never allowed to move there, even asking daily.

What burns me up is that we stay at this hotel quite often (at least until that point), and it was a special occasion, with one simple request (aside from two double beds!) We spent about $3k at that hotel for two rooms for 4 nts, and the manager rudely pointed out that this meant nothing to them.

We *might* stay there again in the future (we go to WDW at least 3x a year). But I hope to never speak to this manager again..

Robin
Old Mar 14, 2003, 11:44 am
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by KathyWdrf:
Originally posted by tinkybelle:
I think you might be getting Hilton mixed up with Starwood.
plat members are not entitlerd to breakfast coupons.-or at least not to my knowledge-
Id love to be told otherwise.
if you have been getting them then good on you!!!
</font>
I think you need to read the post a little more carefully. Breakfast coupons were (or were supposed to be) offered in lieu of access to the club/executive lounge, since the lounge was closed (i.e., not in operation at all). And access to the lounge (with the breakfast and snack offerings) at Sheratons and Westins IS a benefit of Platinum members.

Kathy
Sounds like it matches our policy in the Terms and Conditions of Membership to a "T":

4. Access to the Club Level when staying at Sheraton hotels even when not staying on the Club Level floor(s). Access to the Executive Level when staying at Westin hotels, even when not staying on the Executive Level floor(s). At any time a lounge is full, the hotel may require a member to wait until space is available or may elect to offer an alternative location providing amenities equal or greater to those available in the lounge. If a lounge is closed for any reason, such as renovation, the hotel may consider it not having a lounge during the closed period and is not required to offer alternate accommodations.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Cast your vote! Visit www.freddieawards.com and choose your favorite frequent travel programs today.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 12:33 pm

Location: TLH, SFO, DCA DL PM, Starwood Plat, Hilton Gold, etc.....
Great Question
I have had excellent experiences with upgrades since the program began.
Upgrade experience over last 12mos:
Westin Embassy Row (DC) 10/10
Palace (SF) 12/13
W (SF) 7/9
Essex House 2/2
Westin Grand (DC)0/1
W Times Sq 2/2
W Union Square 1/1
W NO 4/4
Westin Copley 2/2
Sheraton Schipol 0/1
Park Lane 2/2
W Diamond Head 2/4
Westin LAX 2/2
Westin ATL 2/2
Sheraton ATL 1/2
The only place where I have had trouble was at the Sheraton Crystal City 0/3, got message, stopped staying there.
Thanks
Old Mar 14, 2003, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Fishbait:
What burns me up is that we stay at this hotel quite often (at least until that point), and it was a special occasion, with one simple request (aside from two double beds!) We spent about $3k at that hotel for two rooms for 4 nts, and the manager rudely pointed out that this meant nothing to them.

We *might* stay there again in the future (we go to WDW at least 3x a year). But I hope to never speak to this manager again..

Robin
</font>
Try the Boardwalk next time. A much better property.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 1:11 pm

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Thanks for doing the survey.

Properties where I received no upgrade or a one-category upgrade though at least better rooms were available:
- ArabellaSheraton Düsseldorf Airport
- ArabellaSheraton Grand Frankfurt (during the first stay a downgrade after change of room during the night. I got compensated after exchange of emails)
- ArabellaSheraton Essen
- Westin Excelsior Rome
- Four Points Santiago

I made about 50 stays within the last year in ArabellaSheratons. During the whole period, I received exactly 2 suite upgrade. I never checked about suite availability during these stays - but I doubt that suites weren't available during all these stays and that always other guests had a higher priority due to e.g. more stays (some of the stays were during the weekend or in low-season; I also know that some of the ArabellaSheratons don't have many suites - but they have at least nicer rooms).

I've rarely noted a direct feedback from an (ArabellaSheraton) property about Platinum status (= letter in the room about SPG status/benefits or a check-in agent saying "We've upgraded you because of your status"). In many cases I received an upgrade to a better room - but the status was never mentioned. IMO, this is a lost opportunity for the property itself to show that they are fully aware
1.) about the status of the customer
2.) about SPG programme
(E.g., the ArabellaSheraton Büsingpalais very often upgraded me into an executive room and provided a variety of amenities. But why acted the property always silent?)
Old Mar 14, 2003, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Starwood Lurker:
Sounds like it matches our policy in the Terms and Conditions of Membership to a "T":

4. Access to the Club Level when staying at Sheraton hotels even when not staying on the Club Level floor(s). Access to the Executive Level when staying at Westin hotels, even when not staying on the Executive Level floor(s). At any time a lounge is full, the hotel may require a member to wait until space is available or may elect to offer an alternative location providing amenities equal or greater to those available in the lounge. If a lounge is closed for any reason, such as renovation, the hotel may consider it not having a lounge during the closed period and is not required to offer alternate accommodations.
</font>
OK, I didn't know that the hotel "is not required to offer alternate accommodations" if the lounge is closed.

But in that case, Starwood should make it crystal-clear ahead of time (at time of reservation, at the latest) that the lounge IS closed! Such information would certainly steer me AWAY from the hotel, given the stingy terms and conditions.

Kathy

Old Mar 14, 2003, 3:15 pm

Here's a VERY recent one: Checked into the W Tuscany (NYC) 15 minutes ago. Asked the front desk clerk specifically if any suites were available, and she responded with a no. However, I can book a suite online; there looks to be availability throughout next week (and my current stay is only set for 3 nights).

I can't be bothered to make a stink about it, but why is it necessary to lie?

UPDATE: I decided to ask the hotel about this, and here is a close approximation to the response I received:
"Mr. Zombie: We do have three suites available, but we've pre-reserved those for other Platinum members. We offer this benefit for Platinum members that have an outstanding number of stays with us. For future stays, you might want to try the W Court - they have more suites available than we do."

So apparently some Platinums are more Platinum than others?

-Zombie-

[This message has been edited by Zombie (edited 03-14-2003).]
Old Mar 14, 2003, 7:13 pm

Programs: LT Mariott Platinum?, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, Amtrak Nothing.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Starwood Lurker:

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Cast your vote! Visit www.freddieawards.com and choose your favorite frequent travel programs today.
</font>
William -
Thanks for the clarification. So, given I can't assume I will get breakfast (all I really eat is some fruit and coffe/oj), and as Marriott Platinum I *can* get breakfast at the Marriott Marquis, Renaissance Times Square, and Marriot East Side, and as Hilton Gold at Doubletree Times Square and Hilton on 6th ave, my choice is clear, and I will simply utilize one of these propertys in mid-town. (Although the Westin Port Authority, aka Westin Times Square is still a possibility given a decent rate).
Please let me know when the Sheraton Manhattan and/or Sheraton Towers has their platinum lounges/levels back in operation...

[This message has been edited by copyright1997 (edited 03-14-2003).]
Old Mar 14, 2003, 7:14 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HLT Honors, DL PLT but missing NWA terribly.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Zombie:
So apparently some Platinums are more Platinum than others?
[This message has been edited by Zombie (edited 03-14-2003).]
</font>
I sincerely hope so. If we weren't, I wouldn't as many suites as I do.

See
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/005976.html

Old Mar 14, 2003, 7:29 pm

Westin South Coast Plaza- no upgrades after 100s of nights- no longer staying here
4 Pts. Fullerton- no upgrade
Westin Florence- upgrade!
Gritti Palace- upgrade!
Prince de Galles- upgrade for 2 of 5 nights
Royal Hawaiian- upgrade? I think...
St. Regis NY- upgrade
W NY Times Square- upgrade to a suite, but opted for a corner unit that was brighter
Westin Whistler- no upgrade
Westin Diplomat- upgrade
Sheraton Hotel and Marina San Diego- no upgrade

Some are better than none, but it's not as often as I would have liked- especially my recent stay in San Diego. 7 nights and housekeeping would not get to the room until 4pm some days- very annoying and difficult to work. Really enjoyed Florence though and recommend the Westin there.

[This message has been edited by spellbound2 (edited 03-14-2003).]
Old Mar 14, 2003, 7:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by KathyWdrf:

OK, I didn't know that the hotel "is not required to offer alternate accommodations" if the lounge is closed.

But in that case, Starwood should make it crystal-clear ahead of time (at time of reservation, at the latest) that the lounge IS closed! Such information would certainly steer me AWAY from the hotel, given the stingy terms and conditions.
</font>
Stingy terms and conditions???
Dont you normally get a suite upgrade if available even on the lowest rate AND during
award stays.
And guaranteed upgrade to a lounge when it is open?
I certainly have availed myself of those conditions for the past 3 yrs as plat.
I dont consider that "stingy"

I actually checked into the Sheraton on the Park(Sydney) a few weeks ago and the lounge is closed for renovatons but they offered me cont breaky for 2 so you are correct that they may offer but I at no time thought they "should".

[This message has been edited by tinkybelle (edited 03-14-2003).]
Old Mar 14, 2003, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tinkybelle:

Stingy terms and conditions???
Dont you normally get a suite upgrade if available even on the lowest rate AND during
award stays.
And guaranteed upgrade to a lounge when it is open?
I certainly have availed myself of those conditions for the past 3 yrs as plat.
I dont consider that "stingy"

I actually checked into the Sheraton on the Park(Sydney) a few weeks ago and the lounge is closed for renovatons but they offered me cont breaky for 2 so you are correct that they may offer but I at no time thought they "should".
</font>
Hahahahahaha! For what it's worth, no, I DON'T normally get a suite upgrade as a Platinum. I think I got one once. However, some of the rooms I have received as a Plat MAY have been better than the average rooms in that particular hotel. (Once my upgrade was to a huge, I mean ridiculously huge, but otherwise undistinguished room. It would've been good for a family with kids -- plenty of room for the little ones to play in the football-field sized empty middle of the room.)

And I reiterate, if the lounge is closed for renovation (or whatever reason), we should be informed of that at or before reservation time. It would certainly influence my decision whether or not to stay at the hotel.

Kathy

Old Mar 14, 2003, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
William, can you confirm this? It refers to the upgrade policy.
Thanks a million!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by beachfan:
I assume this does not cover award rooms. </font>
Old Mar 15, 2003, 8:08 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by skofarrell:
Try the Boardwalk next time. A much better property.</font>
We've done the Boardwalk over a dozen times so far; you are right, it is outstanding! (I just checked their rates for a stay in two weeks, the Inn is up to $400 for a standard room, no discounts for Passholders!) Trying to remain loyal to Starwood when I can, but getting tough to do in WDW. Trying the Swan in a few weeks, hopefully will do better there. I know they are the same management, but hoping that their FD manager is a different, more friendly individual.

Robin
Old Mar 15, 2003, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I've received excellent plat recognition at most stays, but I can't seem to get a suite upgrade at the Westin Tabor Center in Denver, from where I type this. Their front desk does not seem well-informed about upgrading plats to suites. Two visits in the last year, no upgrade.

I'll be back again within a month--we'll see if third time is the charm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.