Old Mar 12, 2003, 4:35 am
YM3

Sheraton Fishermans Warf - Yes
St.Regis Shanghai - No
Westin Shanghai - Yes
Shearton Sapporo - Yes
Yokohama Bay Sheraton - Yes

Old Mar 12, 2003, 5:38 am

Thanks for the inquiry William. This is why I always vote for Starwood in the Freddies and mention their pro-active service.

Two hotels I have with Platinum upgrades:

Sheraton - Mexico City Maria Isabela

I stayed in this property about 10 times last year and twice this year. I have yet to been upgraded to a suite and rarely into a towers room. When I check in the room that is reserved for me most usually switched from a towers room to a lower non-remodeled room. I like the location but the platinum service is always lacking compared to other international business properties.

Westin St. John

I have stayed in this property three times and always end up back on the hill. I would love a suite here or even a room near the pool. (I check in for a weeks vacation 21 March 2003). I hope I get a good room.

William, as always I appreciate what you and Starwood do for me and my family.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 6:41 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SLC2002:
I'm not one to push for suite upgrades, so I'm only batting about 50%. The worst offenders are:

Portland Westin 0/3
Santa Clara Westin 0/2
</font>
I was offered a Jr. Suite at the Westin Portland but I had to fight for it. My experience was posted in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ft...ML/004053.html
Old Mar 12, 2003, 6:43 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eastbay1K:
I suppose the biggest "peeve" is Sheraton upgrades to a club floor when the club room is closed on the weekend </font>
i love when that happens. the sheraton eatontown did this to me once and didn't given me a breakfast coupon. but, they did upgrade me to a suite so i shouldn't (and i didn't) complain.

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited 03-12-2003).]
Old Mar 12, 2003, 6:45 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by United1KChicago:
Never been upgraded in the Westin Galleria Houston</font>
I stayed here in 9/02 for 2 nights and did not receive an upgrade even after asking. I was told they didn't have any available (the hotel seemed pretty darn empty to me though). I wonder if me being on a Priceline rate had anything to do with it. In any case, I didn't fight for the upgrade and didn't receive one.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 7:30 am

Programs: SPG Platinum;HH Diamond; PC Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Weston Peachtree Atlanta--
Checked in and was told "we have a very nice room for you on the 60th floor as a platinum". Room was very small and cramped. Checked back with desk and asked if I couldn't have a little larger room and the clerk looked bewildered. After two trips to the back office, I was miraculously switched to a very nice suite on the 34th floor. By the way, this property has no executive or club lounge, so a room upgrade is the only perk for a platinum guest other than the 500 pts.
Thanks for all your support, William
Old Mar 12, 2003, 8:38 am

A couple of nice experiences, couple of ?? experiences and a stay that concerns me.....
December 30, 2002 – January 1, 2003
Four Points Darling Harbour, Sydney, Australia.
Found me a room …same day…no reservation…. The hotel sold out, received a room for 2 nights (one night at a time)….took a Harbour view room away from me at the last minute (but they did not know I was a Platinum…I was just a Joe Cold of the street)(I was happy not to be sleeping in the lobby)…BUT certainly a service upgrade. By the way… the Renaissance Sydney Hotel, where I had stayed for the 5 previous nights did not even attempt to find me a room (I am Platinum with Marriott also and had stayed at least 20 nights with the Renaissance and 140+ actual nights with Marriott). I will be sorry to move back to the Renaissance Sydney Hotel (soon to be a Marriott) as my experiences find the employees to arrogant and unhelpful EXCEPT for the phone reservation staff and the executive lounge staff when it was open.

March 1-5, 2003
Sheraton Hotel, Auckland, ZN
Tower Room...not sure an upgrade, but a nice room all the same. Nice service. During the America's Cup, I am certain that there were special people staying at the hotel which redirected the service to more important guest. Expected a little better service.

March 5-8, 2003
Four Points Darling Harbour, Sydney, Australia.
During registration, asked of Platinum number was on the reservation (no). Upon confirming platinum number...SUITE.
Nice service, wish it was a better location for work(returning to the Renaissance Sydney Hotel in late March)

March 9-for a while (at least the next few months with a few trips)
Westin Hotel, Shanghai, China
Not sure yet. Standard service is what is expected. Not sure the Westin Shanghai can go the extra step in hospitality to make it great service. Not really pleased so far.
Room well below what I expected. Moved to the Westin after 40+ nights at the Hilton Shanghai... not overwelmed.....
Old Mar 12, 2003, 8:55 am

Generally, I don't/won't ask for upgrades for Platinum. I generally settle for what I've booked; however, I can say that I've had no upgrades w/bad service on top of it at a couple of the Starwood hotels.

My best service (Upgrades every visit, excellent customer service)
Sheraton Hotel Pulitzer - Suites
Hotel Bristol (Westin) - Suites
Park Lane Sheraton - Suites
Westin Grand Bohemian Orlando - Suites
W Times Square - Corner Rooms
Westin Sydney - Upgraded rooms

Bad service (no upgrades, no amenities, poor customer service)
W Seattle
Westin Times Square
Westin Melbourne
The Essex House (worst service hands down)
Old Mar 12, 2003, 9:32 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Westin Sydney, February 2003. No upgrade of any type for this Platinum member. Complained afterwards (including on here), management contact me and we worked out an acceptable resolution. However, I still am skeptical that when 1/5 of the hotel is of 'better' rooms that they couldn't find anything for me.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 10:34 am

Programs: MM,flyer AA,UA, LH Senator
No upgrade at Sherton Eau Claire in Calgary. most likely the rate but did receive access to Ex. lounge. Randy Stupanski does a great job in trying to accomondate my needs. I believe the property was close to sold out.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 11:20 am

Location: Hotlanta, GA; Starwood Platinum; Delta Platinum Medallion
William, great topic.

At the end of this week I will have 36 nights on 11 stays with a 36% upgrade history (last year was 131 nights 62.5%).

Westin Waltham - 2/4
Westin La Paloma - 0/1
Westin LAX - 2/6

This week at the LAX, had to ask for it. Front desk lady disappeared for 5 minutes before coming back and upgrading me. Last week I was in a nasty smoking room with doubles.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 11:25 am

Location: California, AA EXP,HH Gold,Hyatt Diamond, *wood PLT, Amex PLT,
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sunseeker:
that was about my experience there and the same with the sheraton jfk :
a room as "big" as a lufthansa sh*thouse.
seems to be common with those airport hotels.
</font>
If you are ever in Chicago, try:
Westin O'Hare-Great staff, good Platinum recognition. Platinum Amenity points posted right away!
kelly786

Old Mar 12, 2003, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MatthewClement:
Just as a matter of clarification, this thread is about situations where upgrade rooms were available but not offered, not merely about situations when upgrades were unavailable, right?

I notice several posters have noted that they were not upgraded at the Westin Sydney and the Sheraton Park Towers -- both of these properties have large numbers of Gold / Platinum guests and few upgrade rooms; at these properties it is entirely conceivable that upgrades are genuinely not available.
</font>
Two separate stays at the Westin Sydney. Both times placed in the smallest room with no real view (XX14 rooms), although that was what I booked. I find it hard to believe that there was not even a larger/better room available on either stay, never mind a suite.

The common theme in this thread is that upgrades are not forthcoming at most properties unless the issue is forced.

At the Westin Essex House, as I was finishing checking in, another guest began to check-in and I heard the desk clerk welcome him, note his platinum status, and then upgrade him to a suite. That's why I spoke to the manager in the morning (excuse: the computer didn't show my status). Since I had booked on-line as a Platinum, I found that a little hard to believe. Only then was I offered a suite, and since it was my last night, I said forget it.

THE SYSTEM IS BROKEN AND NEED TO BE FIXED.

I am sincerely appreciative of William's efforts here on the board, but if this is a benefit of platinum status, it should be implemented across the board. One upgrade out of the past seven stays (and only after I pushed the issue on that stay)--and I'm not just talking about an upgrade to a suite--I mean even to a better room.

Old Mar 12, 2003, 11:58 am

Dear William,

Thanks for asking this question...it has been a pet peeve of mine since I first made Platinum in late 2001.

I stay very frequently at the Westin Excelsior in Rome. As in 25+ nights a year. The only time I've ever received a room upgrade was in May 2001...as a Gold. I'm not the kind of person who calls my Platinum Concierge to check to see if the hotel is being truthful about no suites, but I find it hard to believe that the hotel has never had a suite available for me.

Previous threads about this hotel seem to confirm a systemic problem in this area.

I have, however, always received a Platinum amenity (a large fruit bowl) on my stays there. You'd think by now someone might have noticed that I have never eaten it and stopped the wastage of food.

On the plus side, kudos to the ITC Maurya Sheraton in New Delhi. Had the infamous "what is a select suite?" problem with them on my second stay there last year (staying in the ITC-One wing). Had a few words with the General Manager, Mr. Anand, and have never had a problem since.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 12:22 pm

In my experience, the worst offenders with upgrades are the Westin Santa Clara and Sheraton NY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.