Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Changes to SPG Cash & Points - effective March 05, 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to SPG Cash & Points - effective March 05, 2013

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:35 pm
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Originally Posted by john11111111111
To be honest my recent stay at the Le Meridien Phuket, at $60+4000points per night, when the proper price was over $500, and I also got upgraded, was great for me, but was basically lost money for the hotel. They would have had no trouble in selling the room to someone else at full price.
it is the hotels choice to open c&p on peak season.... most hotels do/did not..... and also will opt out for C&P on peak dates in future.....

many spg properties are dated and in tough competition...

i will think twice if it is worth going out of the way to stay at a spg property as I did in the past
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Unless they are anticipating a category jump and prefer to withhold the C&P availability until then.

I find this highly unlikely. Using Aloft Bangkok, where there was excellent availability throughout the year, there is now no C&P dates through the end of the year. The chance that 300 days of C&P were booked up is nil.
exactly. and aloft bkk was WIDE open before the end of the year. then, they obviously 'got the memo' and... GONE. this kinda stuff just breeds contempt from those of us who show, and now pay for, loyalty.

hyatt maxes out @ 22k points and we already know their yearly devaluation is a non-event except for a couple of properties that were a steal at current levels. spend strategically $5,400 on ink bold and you have a free night at the highest- cat 6. and $5,400 on the spg gets me.... EXACTLY. furthermore, hyatt actually upgrades you. as platinum, i did not have 1 'wow' upgrade- not one. nearly all not a suite- simply a higher floor that i could have gotten with gold, or maybe no status if i asked nicely.

seems the smart way to play at this point is to bid smartly on priceline. earn status through spend and stay at properties that recognize status for priceline stays (hyatt, marriott from my experience do).
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:43 pm

If they open up availability of cash and points I don't mind paying a little extra on cash or points... but that is domestically...

I'm curious as to what changes will be made next month category-wise, because I've seen a large number of Starwood hotels that I know are at least 1 category higher than they should be.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:59 pm

When will we know if they are upgrading categories? Will they give us advance notice like they did with cash and points so we can make reservations ahead of the jump?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:02 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
This is basically a 40% devaluation in the value of the Starwood points. It might have been better if they had introduced a mid tier and only upped the cash or points price on the lowest tier. My understanding was that C&P where only available during low occupancy periods, which is why they were much more limited. Now they aren't nearly as good a value as they were. I don't see that I will ever use them now. Much better to use points during high occupancy and play Priceline roulette or look for other deals during low occupancy periods.
+1 on the above. They frame it as 25%, but since both cash and points are going up, 40% is more like it. Not to mention that as we may be charged up to 20% in taxes on any cash portion, so a $20 increase is really $24.

Right now, on Cat 4&5 room it was a toss up as to whether C&P value at 2c/pt was worth it. After March the values will drop to 1.5cents, which is a good bit less than what I get from the airlines.

I have used my SPG AMEX for US spending (overseas FX rates kill the value) for a couple years now, with the plan to use the C&P at SPG resort properties. I recently got Gold, and was pretty excited to take full advantage of the program.

With this huge devaluation, I foresee myself sticking with Chase's UR program (no FX) and mining Priceline/Agoda/Wotif for the best rates.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:15 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by john11111111111
To be honest my recent stay at the Le Meridien Phuket, at $60+4000points per night, when the proper price was over $500, and I also got upgraded, was great for me, but was basically lost money for the hotel. They would have had no trouble in selling the room to someone else at full price.
$500 sounds high, but perhaps.

However I am booked into Le Meridien Jimbaran Bali for $90+4800. Add in taxes and it is $108.

The current rate w/ taxes can be as low as $193, so those 4800 are worth $85 today, and a fair bit less after March.

Not that it matters, as ALL C&P have vanished for the rest of 2013 (there were plenty two weeks ago).
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
exactly. and aloft bkk was WIDE open before the end of the year. then, they obviously 'got the memo' and... GONE.
and there's tons of availability at BKK properties for c&p before and after March 5. So what if aloft BKK is playing games with it? It won't get their rooms filled.

-David
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:52 am

Programs: AA, SPG, Hh, Amex MR, Marriott, ICH, VA, CC, LH
It's a devaluation, minimum -25% in my opinion.
SPG were once revered as offering one of the premier schemes and I have taken trouble to place my company's business there.

As a result of these changes SPG will fall from a fall in the league table as towards the top to somewhere below middle.

It is a shame that SPG value customer loyalty so poorly.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 4:14 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Plat, IHG-Plat
I thought C&P (and Priceline, Hotwire, etc.) were offered at a hotel’s discretion at times of lower occupancy. Even with the large increase in the C&P price, it will still be offered at a hotel’s discretion according to what I have seen. So the only ways I can see the availability increasing are:

-Hotels will probably be allowed to keep most of the large increase in price, making them more likely to offer this rate.

-More loyal SPG members will wisely begin looking more closely at competing hotels, which will lower the occupancy of SPG hotels, leading to more availability of C&P.

Unfortunately it seems that SPG is now following the path that other formerly premier programs have taken.

-Program that is regarded by most as best in the industry begins to disregard the time tested motto, "if it isn’t broke don’t fix it". This began occurring at SPG at least a year ago.

-Periodic messages are conveyed regarding devaluations of points and other negative changes for most members that seriously insult their intelligence by referring to the updates as a "positive enhancement".

-Program gradually becomes more and more complex and harder for the occasional traveler to understand, yet the additional "enhancements" actually hurt most users who were formerly very happy with the program. Additional rules and "enhancements" also often require additional contact with customer service agents leading to additional wait times and frustration, and likely needlessly increasing the costs to the program.

-After enough members are angered and begin moving business to other hotels or using alternative methods to obtain discounts, program begins offering better promotions/credit card enhancements to attract new members and entice former members to reconsider the program.

For example after large devaluations, largely with no advance notice, Marriott now has a pretty much ongoing stay twice/get one free night promotion (free night at a cat. 1-4 only, but can find these in most places) and a credit card with no international transaction fees.

I know marketing people sometimes like to update programs just for the sake of change to appear creative or to justify their existence, and companies sometimes unwisely go along with the ideas, but I really hope SPG tries to remember "if it isn’t broke don’t fix it" before the program is totally ruined as has happened to others in the past.

I heard that classic Coke may need an update to a different taste so maybe creative people can work on changes there and SPG can return to a relatively simple program that offers better value and rewards and has more satisfied and loyal members than any other.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 5:41 am

Programs: DL DM. Marriott Plat. Hyatt DM.
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
So how many people are so upset with this program change, that they are going to leave SPG?
Exactly!

I book C+P almost never

SPG wants people to use SNA's or C+P to get a suite or upgrade at least. Good for them and very smart. They are collecting a premium for these rooms instead of "giving them away" so as to speak.

I use SNA's when I WANT a suite for sure. Otherwise if I get an upgrade-cool.

Now I can use C+P for that suite if i really WANT it. I like that.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by JPCAG
Exactly!

I book C+P almost never

SPG wants people to use SNA's or C+P to get a suite or upgrade at least. Good for them and very smart. They are collecting a premium for these rooms instead of "giving them away" so as to speak.

I use SNA's when I WANT a suite for sure. Otherwise if I get an upgrade-cool.

Now I can use C+P for that suite if i really WANT it. I like that.
This change is OK for people with millions of SPG points, for those looking to maximize fewer points it's a 40% devaluation. All of my SPG award bookings so far have been C+P.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: AA, WN, BA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Cash and points is one of the best components of the SPG program for anyone who doesn't have ton of points. It's true that availability is sporadic at best, but if a hotel typically offers C+P, its a great value. I'll give you a example.

The Westin Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego - Cat. 4
Cash Price: $209
C+P: 4,000 points & $60

The C+P rate is by far the best option here. The Westin has decent C+P availability through the end of April. It looks like new rates have not yet been loaded past April 30th.

If this change brings reimbursement rates for C+P higher, then hopefully hotels will open up more C+P availability. I'm not holding my breath. Real change will only happen if SPG steps in and sets up some minimum requirement for C+P availability across all hotels.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:15 am

Three things needed to occur to make this more palatable...

1. Better timing with the reward nights now count towards status (this in my mind was of significant value, so forgives some devaluation).

2. An actual T&C change that guarantees more C&P availability in the future.

3. Reward stays will count towards promotions/cash portion earns points in the future (and perhaps a hint towards free nights. )
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
looks like the new C&P redemptions are exactly 50 % off the points needed for a standard redemption. Interesting that the $ them calculated for the savings are vary from cat to cat. see below.
** Kat. 1 & 2 weekend stand. is 2000 and 3000 so at weekends it's never worth to choose C & P in a kat 1/2
    My most best C&P redemptions are in ROS BKK .
    usually during the week them cost aprox 4500 THB ++ = 177 US$
    bevore I used 2100 points (1600 + 500 which i would earn on the paid rate ) to save 142 US $ ( also the 30 $ is ++ ) = saving 6.76 cent per point used !
    now it's 2500 points ( 2000 + 500 which i would earn on the paid rate ) to save 136 US $ ( also the 35 $ is ++ ) = saving 5.44 cent per point used !
    I still hope them stay a kat 2 ! A change to kat 3 would be much more worth . Then the saving would go back to 3,20 cent per point used .

Last edited by bertheike; Jan 20, 2013 at 11:04 am
    Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
    Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
    $500 sounds high, but perhaps.

However I am booked into Le Meridien Jimbaran Bali for $90+4800. Add in taxes and it is $108.

The current rate w/ taxes can be as low as $193, so those 4800 are worth $85 today, and a fair bit less after March.

Not that it matters, as ALL C&P have vanished for the rest of 2013 (there were plenty two weeks ago).
    After the change you spent 6600 ( 6000 + 600 you would normaly earn ) for a 61 $ saving 193 minus 132 ( 110++ ).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.