Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Changes to SPG Cash & Points - effective March 05, 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to SPG Cash & Points - effective March 05, 2013

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 2:56 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
I think generalized statements about all hotels pulling C&P while waiting for March 5 are overblown. Since Lurker 4 let us know about the upcoming changes I booked the Westin Palace (Madrid), Sheraton Edison, and the LeMeridien Versailles (Montreal) for my preferred dates. BTW, in addition to the LeMeridien, the Montreal Westin and Centre Sheraton also had C&P for my dates.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by dcstudent
I think generalized statements about all hotels pulling C&P while waiting for March 5 are overblown. Since Lurker 4 let us know about the upcoming changes I booked the Westin Palace (Madrid), Sheraton Edison, and the LeMeridien Versailles (Montreal) for my preferred dates. BTW, in addition to the LeMeridien, the Montreal Westin and Centre Sheraton also had C&P for my dates.
Where did anyone claim all hotels pulled C&P? The only thing generalized is your statement.

However, if you look there are specific hotels mentioned where a plethora of availability dried up overnight.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 5:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Exclamation

Originally Posted by cko64
I do believe they pulled C&P already.

I need two rooms each at two hotels, Sheraton and Four Points Pudong in May. They both offer C&P for the dates I want. However, once I booked one room, no more C&P offer for that hotel anymore. So, I ended up booking C&P for one room and Points only for the second room.

I find it too much of coincident that I booked the last C&P for both hotels. So, yes, you can book C&P, but you took the last one, they are not releasing anymore C&P at current rates.

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Where did anyone claim all hotels pulled C&P? The only thing generalized is your statement.

However, if you look there are specific hotels mentioned where a plethora of availability dried up overnight.
See above.

Outside of flyertalk, there are quite a few SPG members, remember we're a small number of the overall SPG membership. I don't know for sure, but is it possible others are booking C&P rooms as well? There are lots of possibilities as to why rooms are not available.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
See above.

I do believe they pulled C&P already.

I need two rooms each at two hotels, Sheraton and Four Points Pudong in May. They both offer C&P for the dates I want. However, once I booked one room, no more C&P offer for that hotel anymore. So, I ended up booking C&P for one room and Points only for the second room.

I find it too much of coincident that I booked the last C&P for both hotels. So, yes, you can book C&P, but you took the last one, they are not releasing anymore C&P at current rates.
Outside of flyertalk, there are quite a few SPG members, remember we're a small number of the overall SPG membership. I don't know for sure, but is it possible others are booking C&P rooms as well? There are lots of possibilities as to why rooms are not available.
I read the post you referred to as addressing the particular hotels in Shanghai/Pudong rather than system wide.

I can also attest, because I was looking at several booking periods for Aloft Bangkok, that a wide open availability of C&P was followed, immediately, by not a single date of availability for the remainder of the year. If you're going to side with the potential of 300+ days of availability booked in two days then I've got a bridge on the east side of Manhattan for sale.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 7:27 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Where did anyone claim all hotels pulled C&P?
I've seen quite a number of posters mention this - I know it's a long thread but I've been following it from the start and this claim has been mentioned quite a few times, but also refuted by those who state they were able to find C&P at their desired hotel and dates.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: AGR WOH
Some of this cynicism is a bit unwarranted...

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Since when in the history of points programs has inventory increased? I have never seen this happen with saver inventory at airlines or hotel programs.
SPG itself overhauled C&P in 2007, which led to vastly improved availability. Then Category 1 & 2 were added in 2009.

And although category increases do always outnumber category decreases, the latter do in fact occur: for instance, in 2012, almost six times as many hotels decreased to Cat 1 as increased out of Cat 1.

Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
They frame it as 25%, but since both cash and points are going up, 40% is more like it.
That's not how math works. If the half that's cash goes up 25% but the half that's points does not, then overall it's only a 12.5% increase; only if both halves go up 25% does the overall increase amount to 25%. For my most frequently used Cat 3 C&P (from 2,800* + $45 to 3,500* + $55), valuing Starpoints at the frequently available purchase price of 2.8¢ each, the total price has gone from $123.40 to $153, or an increase of 23.99% in the overall price, 25% in the points price, and 22.22% in the cash price. (In this example, the value assigned to the points means the points are worth more like 2/3 of the value paid.)

Originally Posted by moefl
what is stopping spg from coming out next month with a points increase as well for an ALL points redemption?... This is just awful.
Technically nothing; it's their program, after all. However, the fact that all of the C&P tiers are now conveniently half the all-points tiers does indicate that the former are being moved to fit the latter.

Last edited by paytonc; Jan 22, 2013 at 12:05 pm
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: AC Fly-Free-Forever Winner
I read the post you referred to as addressing the particular hotels in Shanghai/Pudong rather than system wide.

I can also attest, because I was looking at several booking periods for Aloft Bangkok, that a wide open availability of C&P was followed, immediately, by not a single date of availability for the remainder of the year. If you're going to side with the potential of 300+ days of availability booked in two days then I've got a bridge on the east side of Manhattan for sale.
Did you try to book C&P? Was C&P still available after you book? Since I have 200,000 Starpoints, so I thought I'd try to book Aloft Bangkok which according to you is wide open available on C&P. Guess what! It's all pulled, not a day of C&P is available from today until end of the year.

Where is that bridge you want to sell?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM ELITE, HYATT LIFETIME GLOBALIST, UAL SILVER, AA EXECUTIVE PLATINUM
They actually have a c/p redemption option at a W for April 2014 in Dallas over the NCAA Final Four.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
I am not sure whether this C&P pull conversation is true or not. My limited data point is the Sheraton Kobe and Sheraton Osaka; I was looking for dates in July, and neither before nor after this announcement has there been any change in C&P availability (and the Osaka Sheraton doesn't even have cheap rates loaded yet, only showing insanely expensive rack rates).
Old Jan 22, 2013, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by paytonc
Some of this cynicism is a bit unwarranted...

SPG itself overhauled C&P in 2007, which led to vastly improved availability. Then Category 1 & 2 were added in 2009.

And although category increases do always outnumber category decreases, the latter do in fact occur: for instance, in 2012, almost six times as many hotels decreased to Cat 1 as increased out of Cat 1.
I stand corrected, at least at the low end. That being said Cat 1 and 2 are 100% useless to me. I have never redeemed for < Cat 4 and most of my preferred resort and world-class city destinations are now 5+
Old Jan 22, 2013, 6:29 pm

Did you try to book C&P? Was C&P still available after you book? Since I have 200,000 Starpoints, so I thought I'd try to book Aloft Bangkok which according to you is wide open available on C&P. Guess what! It's all pulled, not a day of C&P is available from today until end of the year.

I think he was trying to say that it was "wide open" prior to the announcement and went to total shutout immediately after.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dude, please reread and comprehend my post my fully. You have not grasped one iota of the meaning correctly.

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
I think he was trying to say that it was "wide open" prior to the announcement and went to total shutout immediately after.
Thank you. That is indeed the gist.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by friedablass
I've seen quite a number of posters mention this - I know it's a long thread but I've been following it from the start and this claim has been mentioned quite a few times, but also refuted by those who state they were able to find C&P at their desired hotel and dates.
I've read the entire thread since the beginning as well. My recollection is that people have mentioned specific hotels not offering C&P however anyone claiming all hotels have pulled C&P offerings is simply batty.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 7:49 pm

I've had no trouble finding and booking C&P since this announcement. In fact I have one C&P booking confirmed for March 3-5.

Cheers,
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:24 pm

I've read the entire thread since the beginning as well. My recollection is that people have mentioned specific hotels not offering C&P however anyone claiming all hotels have pulled C&P offerings is simply batty.
Yes agreed. But the tone of _some_ posts is like all hotels have pulled C&P :P

Me, I'm still more concerned that upgrades will become harder to get. I had a thought the other day, which was reinforced by a comment in another thread (getting 100 at 99 nights) about how many golds have now become platinum, that this is also a way which SPG is using to maybe ease the number of complaints it gets about lack of upgrades. So now if you really want a suite, use your SNAs, and if you've used those up, use C&P.

Still cheaper than buying a suite direct. Especially for the points-rich.

But not good news for us in asia w/o the SPG Amex and who are used to being well-treated wrt upgrades

Last edited by travelswithmyself; Jan 23, 2013 at 12:06 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.