Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Changes to SPG Cash & Points - effective March 05, 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to SPG Cash & Points - effective March 05, 2013

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If the intention works out as:

- about the same number of standard rooms at higher C&P prices,
- a few upgraded (view, wth?) rooms at significantly higher C&P prices,
- a few suites at vastly higher C&P prices,

then color me unimpressed
+1

Gleff (lately of milepoint) spins this as a big win because he thinks the P+C inventory will increase, but I would not hold my breath. IME P&C was already pretty good at many properties.

P&C was one of my favorites redemptions as I have a tough time accumulating SPG points since I don't do Amex. In fact it was in fact the only way people like me could afford a room at Cat 6 property like the St. Regis Princeville. 3 nights for 24k points +$450 – yeah I can swing that – $150 a night seems more than reasonable for one of the best rooms in the world. $180/nt hurts a bit more. But 10k/nt on top of that is a real dealkiller. The Cat 4 city properties that could be had @60 + 4k points are much less of a deal now.

Almost better to take a shot at priceline (esp if you are not Plat - won't miss any benefits) and save your points for a 5N award. Then SPG will get $0 cash.

Make no mistake - this is a big devaluation, directly targeted at the infrequent traveler and those without Amex.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 1:49 am

Programs: VA plat EY G+ RA Hyatt Diamond
I booked a C&P at Westin Moana then tried to get a second room and no dice
do they only have one room on C & P?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 2:41 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Well I have checked several properties that I'm targetting before the move in March. Not to my surprise no C&P availability. In the past I have seen some at these but almost none the rest of the year.

So when spg says they hope to increase availability they weren't talking about between now and March 5 that is for damn sure. I see properties pulling inventory most likely until the increase. That is total BS, yes you will get more after March 5, but don't screw us now.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 2:52 am

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
As a loyal customer, this is definitively something I dislike VERY MUCH.
I had 13 nights already in January and seven more by the end of the month.
I will definitively focus on other programme as of February 1. This even in consideration that the real benefit of being platinum, upgrade, has been completely a scam in my experience.

As many member of this forum know, even if it was not that easy to find C&P directly available, many times it just took a call to the hotel and a room manager will open the option for you. I tried this two or three times and it was 100% success.
We will see how it will go with this promised increase in availability.

As for now, rant!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 4:59 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Originally Posted by The_Daddy:20080372
As a loyal customer, this is definitively something I dislike VERY MUCH.
I had 13 nights already in January and seven more by the end of the month.
I will definitively focus on other programme as of February 1. This even in consideration that the real benefit of being platinum, upgrade, has been completely a scam in my experience.

As many member of this forum know, even if it was not that easy to find C&P directly available, many times it just took a call to the hotel and a room manager will open the option for you. I tried this two or three times and it was 100% success.
We will see how it will go with this promised increase in availability.

As for now, rant!

Same position here... I make low plat this year and focus on other programs...
Old Jan 19, 2013, 5:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Quickly snatched up a C&P for a May stay when others started reporting hotels pulling availability.

Bummed to see costs go up, but would be happy if I can find more C&P than I am currently able to find (about 25%).
Old Jan 19, 2013, 5:36 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Good question

Thoughtful question. I would be interested in hearing the answer
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
Dear Lurker(s):

Will SPG increase the bonus on the Amex or the earning on the Amex to compete with the frequent 50k + bonuses on other cards or is this a pure devaluation of the program?

Many programs have devalued but at least offer more ways to earn more points (I.e Ultimate Rewards, Membership Rewards, Skymiles etc)
Old Jan 19, 2013, 5:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

Originally Posted by CPRich
Properties regularly go up in categories every year, so arguing that teh C&P costs of a room haven't gone up in 10 years isn't accurate.

I'm disappointed this valuable benefit is being diminished, and equally disappointed with the spin on the messaging. Very Marriott/USAir-like.
YEt aren't C&P and Full POINTS redemptions two different types of redemptions?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 5:55 am

Anybody calculate the worth of each point with the new change?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:17 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
This is a tad disappointing, especially if it is a harbinger of things to come next month in the Cat changes.

As a Life time Plat 100 with Ambassador, this makes me nervous enough to ensure that I also renew Hyatt Diamond (where the announced hotel category devaluation has been close to insignificant this year.)

Until I have understood the relative impact of these announced (and the forthcoming) changes, I may just make sure to do Plat 50 and Hyatt Diamond before looking at Plat 75/100 again.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:18 am

I just got my spg Amex. Crap. Going to cancel when I get my points.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:19 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I can't say I am surprised by this news. I made several C+P bookings in India, which is chuck full of Cat 1-3. I even made a couple of bookings later this summer at present rates. I am happy that these changes do not apply to reservations booked before 5 March. However, I will be very disappointed if properties continue to creep to Cat 7 (often times undeservedly).
Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CrazyFoool
Anybody calculate the worth of each point with the new change?
Not exactly, but I did just calculate how much inventory availability will need to increase in order to "break even" between the new world of cash+points and the old world of cash+points: blog post covering the topic here

Sneak preview: it depends on how highly you value your Starpoints and what category you're looking at.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:02 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
May be I am stupid, but if I follow the rules for an award suite stay which means double number of points are needed, than the game with the new cash & points double also the points but add roundabout 50% on the cash portion...

What will follow next? Higher number of points for the other awards?!...
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: Starwood PLATINUM, BA GOLD, KrisFlyer Blue, GFF Silver, BATS After Work Club, Emirates Silver
To be honest my recent stay at the Le Meridien Phuket, at $60+4000points per night, when the proper price was over $500, and I also got upgraded, was great for me, but was basically lost money for the hotel. They would have had no trouble in selling the room to someone else at full price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.