Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Changes to SPG Cash & Points - effective March 05, 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to SPG Cash & Points - effective March 05, 2013

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:08 pm

Programs: LH SEN, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Just booked two properties in Europe using C&P for February - lots of availability.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

top categories, suites etc, increased availability
might actually get me to book something
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I've read the entire thread since the beginning as well. My recollection is that people have mentioned specific hotels not offering C&P however anyone claiming all hotels have pulled C&P offerings is simply batty.
Totally agree - have found plenty of C&P availability at hotels I looked at through some time next year. Didn't book because I was looking to book on points only, but certainly still saw the option.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: *G
Not sure if this was also the case pre-announcement, but the Milan hotels I'm looking at in June show C&P but only for a minimum of 4 nights.

I just want 1 night so am not able to access those dates. Is there a way around this? Why don't they sell me one night and then keep the 3 nights together as a block? Don't understand a minimum requirement to spend you C&P if there is availability!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
It will be interesting to see how the new Cash and Point options for room upgrades will play out. Any new offering not available before can only be a bonus, if it is not replacing something good now. Aside from the new offerings, the changes to the current categories are disappointing. I truly appreciate William the Starwood Lurker for posting the information here to inform us ahead of the changes. I booked a reservation using cash and points at the current rates for a July stay. With the new Cash and Points pricing for standard rooms, it seems that the new Cash and Points will only be a good deal if the lowest available rate (not Starwood's Best Available Rate) is considerably more than double the cash portion of Cash and Points.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by DCF
True, but on my last three visits (SPG50 and SPG355N) I have paid around $700 per night, so it's a terrible deal.
Yes, that is the point I was trying to make. The Cat 7 suite C&P's do not seem to be such a bargain.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I've read the entire thread since the beginning as well. My recollection is that people have mentioned specific hotels not offering C&P however anyone claiming all hotels have pulled C&P offerings is simply batty.
It depends on where you look.

Just checked New York City - not one Manhattan Hotel has C&P availability for the entire year, according to their calendars.

Wasn't the case as recently as November.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yulred

Just checked New York City - not one Manhattan Hotel has C&P availability for the entire year, according to their calendars.

While I'll likely not book it based on reviews on here, the W on Lexington had pretty wide-open availability earlier today through the fall on C&P.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, US Air Gold, Starwood Platinum
Syracuse University Sheraton also showing no cash and points availability for any date in February/March.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
not a big increase & if this leads to greater c&p availability then i think its a welcome change....
Old Jan 27, 2013, 3:04 am

When the annual category changes occur in a month or so those properties that go up will have really experienced significant price inflation for their C+P rates.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:24 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Plat, IHG-Plat
Originally I was against these changes and went from thinking "You’re gifted" when using my SPG AMEX to feeling "You’re devalued". Then I reread the original announcement on FT stating that the changes "will improve C&P availability and enhance the program overall" and the official announcement stating the prices were updated "with the intention of expanded availability".

Reading some posts saying these "enhancements" may be a good thing also got me thinking and now I am starting to reconsider my concerns about this devaluation. After all, "everything is going up" nowadays, inflation in the US was nearly 2% last year, certainly a justification for a 25% devaluation.

I thought back to the bad old days of cheap airfare that wasn’t always readily available. Now airfare is usually sky high, but it seems a little more available now so I am very happy with the changes.

I look forward to hearing about a lot of category increases in the coming weeks. I think "enhancements" like this will really improve availability of award rooms, and hotels at their sole discretion may decide in some cases to increase the room types available in the award pool, so this will be wonderful.

I then reflected on my very important goal of becoming lifetime Plat, of course a free suite upgrade was once a common benefit for most Plats. When I am an older lifetime Plat I might not quite stay 50 nights a year so my suite upgrade chances will be reduced by the upgrades given to SPG50 members, by C&P suites which can now be obtained by any member, and by whatever other "enhancements" are announced in the future. So a loyal lifetime Plat member will be left with a nice membership card but little else. But a really nice card is all I want anyway so this is great.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yulred

I guess I should have acted sooner. Looking for October and none available in the metro area, it seems...
Old Feb 9, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
I imagine lots of hotels will wait the 5th March to load their C&P inventory, if they want to load any...
Old Feb 9, 2013, 9:34 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
If I book a hotel today and need to change dates later, will I need to pay the difference in points and dollars, or will it stay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.