FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changes to SPG Cash & Points - effective March 05, 2013
Old Jan 20, 2013, 4:14 am
trog

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Plat, IHG-Plat
I thought C&P (and Priceline, Hotwire, etc.) were offered at a hotel’s discretion at times of lower occupancy. Even with the large increase in the C&P price, it will still be offered at a hotel’s discretion according to what I have seen. So the only ways I can see the availability increasing are:

-Hotels will probably be allowed to keep most of the large increase in price, making them more likely to offer this rate.

-More loyal SPG members will wisely begin looking more closely at competing hotels, which will lower the occupancy of SPG hotels, leading to more availability of C&P.

Unfortunately it seems that SPG is now following the path that other formerly premier programs have taken.

-Program that is regarded by most as best in the industry begins to disregard the time tested motto, "if it isn’t broke don’t fix it". This began occurring at SPG at least a year ago.

-Periodic messages are conveyed regarding devaluations of points and other negative changes for most members that seriously insult their intelligence by referring to the updates as a "positive enhancement".

-Program gradually becomes more and more complex and harder for the occasional traveler to understand, yet the additional "enhancements" actually hurt most users who were formerly very happy with the program. Additional rules and "enhancements" also often require additional contact with customer service agents leading to additional wait times and frustration, and likely needlessly increasing the costs to the program.

-After enough members are angered and begin moving business to other hotels or using alternative methods to obtain discounts, program begins offering better promotions/credit card enhancements to attract new members and entice former members to reconsider the program.

For example after large devaluations, largely with no advance notice, Marriott now has a pretty much ongoing stay twice/get one free night promotion (free night at a cat. 1-4 only, but can find these in most places) and a credit card with no international transaction fees.

I know marketing people sometimes like to update programs just for the sake of change to appear creative or to justify their existence, and companies sometimes unwisely go along with the ideas, but I really hope SPG tries to remember "if it isn’t broke don’t fix it" before the program is totally ruined as has happened to others in the past.

I heard that classic Coke may need an update to a different taste so maybe creative people can work on changes there and SPG can return to a relatively simple program that offers better value and rewards and has more satisfied and loyal members than any other.