Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
It can take up to 7 business days from the day you qualified for your Lifetime Platinum status to be picked up by the system.

Starwood / Marriott merger
Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-will-happen-to-my-lifetime-status-when-the-programs-merge-together-in-the-future
Print Wikipost

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2017, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by ckendall
Since my arrival at LT Gold my Liftetime indicator now indicates the number of nights and the number of "Platinum years" needed to get LT Plat. This number is different from 10 minus the number of Elite years (I was gold one year).
Glad they addressed that - it was needed.
Old May 5, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
There's something wrong with my dashboard... It says 498 Lifetime Nights, but the gauge says 1 night remaining to Lifetime Platinum.... :S
Old May 6, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: AA EXP/CK, SPG LT Platinum(RIP), Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Yep, I can confirm some wackiness on the dashboard. Mine says 0 night and 0 Years to Platinum.
Old May 6, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Opinions on what will happen in my situation... by teh end of this year I will have 9 years elite and roughly have 60 nights to go..... so next year I will make my 10th year and 500 nights.....

ugh.... as with teh merger most likely next year I personally don't think I will make it and will have to hurdle over a more stringent formula which will be heavily scewed towards nights IMO as that is Marriott's deal, nights.

what do you think?
Old May 6, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
I'm in a slightly different position having 9 elite years but 500+ nights at the end of 2017.So even if I didn't spend another night in an SPG hotel in 2018 I would make LTP.So keeping my fingers crossed that they will do that before the merger of programs.

Last edited by drron; May 7, 2017 at 3:06 pm
Old May 6, 2017, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by drron
I'm in a slightly different position having 9 elite years but 500+ nights.So even if I didn't spend another night in an SPG hotel in 2018 I would make LTP.So keeping my fingers crossed that they will do that before the merger of programs.
How is that possible? I was at 600+ nights last year and 9 years of Platinum status, but I didn't get my Lifetime Badge until I did 25 stays/50 nights this year, which happened over Easter weekend.
Old May 7, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Unhappy

Originally Posted by margarita girl
How is that possible? I was at 600+ nights last year and 9 years of Platinum status, but I didn't get my Lifetime Badge until I did 25 stays/50 nights this year, which happened over Easter weekend.
Sorry I meant this officially is my 9th year.2018 will be my 10th.I have edited post to fix it.
Unfortunately your answer was just what I didn't want to hear.
Old May 7, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Originally Posted by drron
Sorry I meant this officially is my 9th year.2018 will be my 10th.I have edited post to fix it.
Unfortunately your answer was just what I didn't want to hear.
It would only be your 10th year if you completed at least 25 stays or 50 nights in 2018 for Plat or 10 stays or 25 nights for Gold. You can't achieve your 10th year if you "don't spend another night in a SPG hotel in 2018."

Similar to margarita girl, I was at 10 years elite but 1 was Gold last year with 857 nights last year. I did not achieve LTP until I earned Plat this year (which I already did).

The MR LT program is based on LT nights and LT points accumulated while the current SPG LT program counts LT nights and years as gold or plat. You have to have both the required years and nights to earn LT status with SPG as it currently stands. Even though I had 10 elite years, 1 happened to be gold so I had to earn an additional year as Plat before I earned SPG LTP.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by X-ON
Ok the story pertaining to the missing activity in my account goes on ....have not heard back from SPG until today and I got a call on my cell from one CSR that I have dealt with on this issue since a week ago telling me that "The development team need more time ... so she would get back to me by next week" ... So apparently SPG are taking my request seriously and they are trying to retrieve the data or confirm that the data points are actually gone ...anyway time will tell ... the story goes on ...
Ok finally SPG got back to me confirming that prior to 2003 the system only can track lifetime nights not points accumulation. No idea if this will have any impact on the design of any new LT program.
Old May 12, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I'm a little surprised that there is not more discussion here about the topic I am interested in - combined nights/points, etc.

Most of the discussion here seems to be around what happens to current lifetime status, and on the marriott side what will happen with more lifetimes (i.e. watered down bennies)

I am SPG Lifetime Gold and no lifetime status with MR, despite having MORE nights with MR than SPG. I would think there would be a lot of people in similar situations?

Surprised that it appears most folks have stayed mostly with one over the years.....? I have found that very hard to do.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:11 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I'm a little surprised that there is not more discussion here about the topic I am interested in - combined nights/points, etc.

Most of the discussion here seems to be around what happens to current lifetime status, and on the marriott side what will happen with more lifetimes (i.e. watered down bennies)

I am SPG Lifetime Gold and no lifetime status with MR, despite having MORE nights with MR than SPG. I would think there would be a lot of people in similar situations?

Surprised that it appears most folks have stayed mostly with one over the years.....? I have found that very hard to do.
I suspect there will be some combination of LT nights and points as Marriott is the successor programme. I attained LT at SPG because I'm being told it will be grandfathered in. How? I don't know, but it is better to do now than have your heart broken later. As for staying with one programme, it is quite easy when they offer a portfolio you love in locations you travel to. Marriott offered tonnes of domestic properties, but their international footprint was either lacking or dangerous (poor on-property security). I do appreciate the fact that I can now use the Renaissance at LHR instead of Starwood's crappy Sheraton hotels. I had a nice stay at the Renaissance in St. Petersburg, but Marriott's brands are boring and uninspiring (much like Hilton). I've never gotten excited about staying at a Marriott quite the same way as a Westin or W or St. Regis. Even budget hotels like aloft and element and Four Points always trumped Marriott's Fairfield Inn, Courtyard and Residence Inn. For Marriott users the experience may be different. That's just my six pence on the matter.
Old May 12, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by uxb
I suspect there will be some combination of LT nights and points as Marriott is the successor programme. I attained LT at SPG because I'm being told it will be grandfathered in. How? I don't know, but it is better to do now than have your heart broken later. As for staying with one programme, it is quite easy when they offer a portfolio you love in locations you travel to. Marriott offered tonnes of domestic properties, but their international footprint was either lacking or dangerous (poor on-property security). I do appreciate the fact that I can now use the Renaissance at LHR instead of Starwood's crappy Sheraton hotels. I had a nice stay at the Renaissance in St. Petersburg, but Marriott's brands are boring and uninspiring (much like Hilton). I've never gotten excited about staying at a Marriott quite the same way as a Westin or W or St. Regis. Even budget hotels like aloft and element and Four Points always trumped Marriott's Fairfield Inn, Courtyard and Residence Inn. For Marriott users the experience may be different. That's just my six pence on the matter.
I agree completely (and also pushed LTP for the same reason). Make it 12 pence
Old May 12, 2017, 8:14 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by JackE
I agree completely (and also pushed LTP for the same reason). Make it 12 pence
Nice! Congrats on sprinting across the finish line.
Old May 13, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by uxb
I suspect there will be some combination of LT nights and points as Marriott is the successor programme.
This is my conjecture as well but my recent experience tells me that at SPG the backtracking of life time points accumulatuion is not feasible for all accounts, my own SPG account is such an example. I am not sure how the powers that be will address this problem. One possibility is a purely base night type of lifetime program.
Old May 13, 2017, 1:39 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by X-ON
This is my conjecture as well but my recent experience tells me that at SPG the backtracking of life time points accumulatuion is not feasible for all accounts, my own SPG account is such an example. I am not sure how the powers that be will address this problem. One possibility is a purely base night type of lifetime program.
Anything is possible at this point, and it would be foolish for me to suggest they will go in one direction or the other. I think the easiest way will be the best way. I don't know what LTP numbers look like on the SPG side, but it's my understanding that the total figure is still relatively small.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.