Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
It can take up to 7 business days from the day you qualified for your Lifetime Platinum status to be picked up by the system.

Starwood / Marriott merger
Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-will-happen-to-my-lifetime-status-when-the-programs-merge-together-in-the-future
Print Wikipost

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2017, 12:10 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Interesting. No USB charger (or anything else) when I became LT Gold. Starwood really does not treat all members equitably!
If it makes you feel better, I didn't get a USB charger either. Then again, I didn't get that box of chocolates everyone and their mothers got when the merger closed. Let's just hope LT status translates on the Marriott side.

Originally Posted by Canada101
Hit SPG50 for the year last night which puts me at 10 years Plat and 907 LT nights so just hit LT Plat. Whoop whoop!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Old Mar 19, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by uxb
Let's just hope LT status translates on the Marriott side.
All the more so because it will transfer in the other direction. By that I mean that LT Marriotts will keep lifetime elite status in currently-Starwood properties. It only makes sense for it to go both ways.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 8:43 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by uxb
If it makes you feel better, I didn't get a USB charger either. Then again, I didn't get that box of chocolates everyone and their mothers got when the merger closed. Let's just hope LT status translates on the Marriott side.
I didn't get anything at LTG, but did get a monogrammed robe from my Ambassador at LTP.

I was at some Sheraton on the day of the merger closing, lots of balloons and stuff everywhere, and they had cupcakes.

I just got some little goody bags at a Sheraton today (supposedly for my kid) as I missed the "25 years of SPG" celebration last week? Or maybe I misunderstood what they were saying, as I thought SPG came into being in 2000?
Old Mar 19, 2017, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by uxb
Let's just hope LT status translates on the Marriott side.
I have to imagine/hope that if they make changes to how one earns LT status in the combined program that they would grandfather those that already obtained it. I have way over 500 nights and this year will be my 10th year as SPG plat so just squeezing in before the anticipated changes next year so I for one will be rather disappointed if they don't.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 10:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ryan182
I have to imagine/hope that if they make changes to how one earns LT status in the combined program that they would grandfather those that already obtained it. I have way over 500 nights and this year will be my 10th year as SPG plat so just squeezing in before the anticipated changes next year so I for one will be rather disappointed if they don't.
I can't possibly imagine Marriott telling potentially thousands of LTP worldwide "oh sorry, you need to start over" - the negative fallout would be absolutely nasty.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Originally Posted by ryan182
Personally, I think what Marriott will have to do if and when they combine the program is retain "LT" status for both Marriott and Starwood LT members but I think they would likely have to map out different equivalent tiers since there are real differences in the thresholds.

LT MR Plat requires 750 nights and 2 million points.

LT SPG Plat requires 500 nights and 10 Plat years.

Both thresholds have their quirks 500 nights vs 750 nights is an obvious difference (with perhaps some minor quirks in how those nights were tallied). Ultimately, Marriott has, so far at least, treated SPG members fairly (3:1 points ratio; status match; instant transfers) but while I think grandfathering LT status is something that members could/should reasonably expect, what tier within LT might be where there will be some changes.

For example, I could see Marriott saying the old SPG LT Plat would equal New LT Gold since MR LT Gold is 500 nights and New LT Plat would require 750 or some other higher number of nights BUT the new LT programs would use the sum of both the MR+SPG lifetime nights as the threshold. Some while a new LT Gold would more or less equal the current SPG LT Plat in terms of benefits etc, New LT Plat, while requiring more nights, would have superior benefits. Just some uninformed musing.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Given that SPG Plat/LT Plat requirements are arguably pretty light, I'd be disappointed to see a 1:1 match to Marriott LT Plat status, as it exist today. Having said that, my money is on a pretty generous combining/grandfathering program. If one looks to the UA/CO merger example, fairly generous terms were offered where MM status was concerned, but the more stringent pre-merger UA standard (BIS) for MM status was retained going forward. It didn't reset anyone back to ground zero, but it did move the goal post for the pre-merger CO folk (who would've otherwise reached "MM" status potentially long before ever flying their first millionth mile).
Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Given that SPG Plat/LT Plat requirements are arguably pretty light, I'd be disappointed to see a 1:1 match to Marriott LT Plat status, as it exist today.
And here I thought Marriott Plat requirements were pretty light since one can get 10 night credits by booking a meeting room for $80!
Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:15 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Given that SPG Plat/LT Plat requirements are arguably pretty light, I'd be disappointed to see a 1:1 match to Marriott LT Plat status, as it exist today. Having said that, my money is on a pretty generous combining/grandfathering program. If one looks to the UA/CO merger example, fairly generous terms were offered where MM status was concerned, but the more stringent pre-merger UA standard (BIS) for MM status was retained going forward. It didn't reset anyone back to ground zero, but it did move the goal post for the pre-merger CO folk (who would've otherwise reached "MM" status potentially long before ever flying their first millionth mile).
I don't 100% agree that the nights requirement is light in SPG vs. MR at least not in the sense that MR can use "no butts in bed nights" towards LT status. I am talking about roll-over nights, CC bonus nights. In that sense the SPG requirements are more stringent and would explain the diffrence in nights threshold. If this obvious diffrence will matter at the end of the day is a totally different question.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Canada101
Personally, I think what Marriott will have to do if and when they combine the program is retain "LT" status for both Marriott and Starwood LT members but I think they would likely have to map out different equivalent tiers since there are real differences in the thresholds.

LT MR Plat requires 750 nights and 2 million points.

LT SPG Plat requires 500 nights and 10 Plat years.
Looking just at nights, an easy solution is to add up MR nights and SPG nights. If they hit 750, then that's that.

I suspect this would cover most SPG Lifetime members. Virtually all of them have more than 500 nights, and certainly lots of them have Marriott nights.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
Originally Posted by JackE
Looking just at nights, an easy solution is to add up MR nights and SPG nights. If they hit 750, then that's that.

I suspect this would cover most SPG Lifetime members. Virtually all of them have more than 500 nights, and certainly lots of them have Marriott nights.
You are being very US-centric here. The story in Europe and Asia wrt to brand footprint is a totally different matter.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
All the more so because it will transfer in the other direction. By that I mean that LT Marriotts will keep lifetime elite status in currently-Starwood properties. It only makes sense for it to go both ways.
How do you find out Marriott lifetime night stays to date?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:32 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by X-ON
Yeah I also hope the integration team is ahead of me, but I am starting to wonder...That the CSRs don't know how resolve this I can understand but when the request get forwarded to the account/master statement department and they just can't solve it. I mean it would be likely that there would be a IT project going on which would address these types of issues and the CSRs are unaware of this. But if the account/master statement department have no idea of such project, its either super stealthy or non-existent.
I would have accepted a reply like: "...there is a IT project going that will facilitate your request however this might not be completed until ... we will keep you updated on any progress ..."
I really, really cannot see any reason why the integration team would waste more than a nanosecond worrying about the incompleteness of total-SPG-points-accumulated-for-the-purposes-of-lifetime-membership from well over decade ago when that data didn't matter, even back then.

Even if the system which stored this historic data could still be accessed and they could come up with a figure, most SPG members wouldn't be able to verify it. And for those members that have spreadsheeted everything, how would discrepancies and disputes be reconciled ?

IMHO, as an IT project, this is a complete waste of time and effort, so a non-starter and can be discounted as a method of integrating SPG lifetime into MR.

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
You really have to hope that their integration team is ahead of you on this detective work, but it's possible this could be a Flyertalk exclusive
While they're doing their detective work, why don't they just follow the current fashion for revenue-based status and simply tot up the total combined MR and SPG spend and then award lifetime status in the merged program on that ?

Simple.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Virtually all of them have more than 500 nights, and certainly lots of them have Marriott nights.
Those are assertions by you without offers of evidence.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Originally Posted by nologic
How do you find out Marriott lifetime night stays to date?
MR LT nights are displayed on marriott.com under Lifetime Status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.