Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
It can take up to 7 business days from the day you qualified for your Lifetime Platinum status to be picked up by the system.

Starwood / Marriott merger
Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-will-happen-to-my-lifetime-status-when-the-programs-merge-together-in-the-future
Print Wikipost

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2017, 1:32 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by dtremit
True, but:
  • 2 million points is pretty easy to achieve, particularly given the credit cards, the higher number of points promos at Marriott, and the lower value of Marriott points.
  • By contrast, 10 years as PLT is pretty hard to get -- at a minimum, it means every SPG LTP has been a member for ten years (and most probably for 15 or more). A true road warrior spending 40 weeks a year in hotels, and putting that on the MR card, could achieve LTP in less than three years.
  • The MR credit card also makes a big difference in night counts. Someone who spends 30k a year on the SPG card for 5 years ends up with 25 nights from it; someone who spends that amount on the MR card ends up with 125.
That list does make me really hope that whoever designs the new scheme remembers that not everyone is based in the US and has a choice of incorporating the branded credit cards into their membership.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
That list does make me really hope that whoever designs the new scheme remembers that not everyone is based in the US and has a choice of incorporating the branded credit cards into their membership.
What do you suggest?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Us non-Americans are very used to US credit cards offering lots of points that are impossible elsewhere, but I think that you get problems when membership schemes are designed from the ground up assuming that high value customers will take the (US) credit card - things like elite nights, etc.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:54 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by JackE
What do you suggest?
My idea would take the domiciliation of the member into account when you define tiers.

As an example in the context of LT tiers:
1) As an example in the context of LT tiers:
a) For member that been domiciled outside US & Canada for the last z years reach #x nights OR #y points
b) For member that been domiciled inside US & Canada for the last z years reach #x nights AND #y points

2) As an example in context if annual tiers
a) For member that been domicilied outside US & Canada for the last z years reach #a nights within a calender year
a) For member that been domiciled inside US & Canada for the last z years reach #a +k nights within a calender year

There are of course a lot of practical problems associated with a scheme like this.
(1) How do you track domiciliation?
(2) The obvious PR problem; the perception that you are punishing your US based core customers

The positive aspect is that you might aline your frequent stay program to growth market in Europe and Asia. When the number of MPG hotels and brands increase in these markets ideally they should be accompanied by a competitive frequent stay program..

Last edited by X-ON; Mar 29, 2017 at 2:59 am
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:26 pm

Painting the US/Canada members with the same brush does not work well. Here is an example:
US SPG Amex card holders get extra night credits on renewal of their card. Canadian card holders get nothing, zero, zilch!! irrespective of how much they spend on the card!
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:31 pm

British Airways tried that kind of differentiation by residence before and I'm not sure it really worked.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
British Airways tried that kind of differentiation by residence before and I'm not sure it really worked.
Lufthansa, too. They used to do something like Senator Status for German residents requires 120k EQM whereas for US residents it would be 100k EQM.

It was determined purely by mailing address and of course was circumvented by using a friend's address in the US.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by forumpersona999
Lufthansa, too. They used to do something like Senator Status for German residents requires 120k EQM whereas for US residents it would be 100k EQM.

It was determined purely by mailing address and of course was circumvented by using a friend's address in the US.
I am aware a lot if airlines had this geographical differentiation in the past SK had one for Norwegian residents which made *Alliance Gold very easy to achieve (ard 30K miles or something). I agree the big downside with this type of arrangement is the potential for people to be gaming the system.
However even if you can switch to another mailing address when you start transferring points or other benefits from your US issued CC I would think the game would be up, hence if you choose to game the system you might not be able to utilize the beneficial US CC anymore...anyway no system is perfect ...

I apologize if I earlier lumped US and Canada SPG members ... since not being NA based my detalied knowldge of the SPG CC scene is limited
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by X-ON
My idea would take the domiciliation of the member into account when you define tiers.

As an example in the context of LT tiers:
1) As an example in the context of LT tiers:
a) For member that been domiciled outside US & Canada for the last z years reach #x nights OR #y points
b) For member that been domiciled inside US & Canada for the last z years reach #x nights AND #y points

2) As an example in context if annual tiers
a) For member that been domicilied outside US & Canada for the last z years reach #a nights within a calender year
a) For member that been domiciled inside US & Canada for the last z years reach #a +k nights within a calender year

There are of course a lot of practical problems associated with a scheme like this.
(1) How do you track domiciliation?
(2) The obvious PR problem; the perception that you are punishing your US based core customers

The positive aspect is that you might aline your frequent stay program to growth market in Europe and Asia. When the number of MPG hotels and brands increase in these markets ideally they should be accompanied by a competitive frequent stay program..

This is one of those things where solving a problem only creates new problems.

Keep in mind that the credit card provides a workaround to the lack of properties. If your travels don't take you to Marriott/SPG properties, then just use the credit card to create nights (one for each $3K spend).

If you live in a country or continent with fewer properties, then it probably means you're not staying with Marriott/SPG as much. The whole point of a loyalty program is to give the company your business. If you're not giving them business via nights, then focus on CC spend.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:27 am

This is one of those things where solving a problem only creates new problems.

Keep in mind that the credit card provides a workaround to the lack of properties. If your travels don't take you to Marriott/SPG properties, then just use the credit card to create nights (one for each $3K spend).

If you live in a country or continent with fewer properties, then it probably means you're not staying with Marriott/SPG as much. The whole point of a loyalty program is to give the company your business. If you're not giving them business via nights, then focus on CC spend.
In principle I agree with you, the law of unintended consequences.

However if you want to expand the # of properties and brands in a new region like Asia or Europe you might realize that their is much harder to cover that region with an associated CC product as it is in the US.

Hence you might have different regions with different dominating revenue streams but only one loyalty program it might be worth to take a look at how and if you can tailormake the loyalty program for different regions where the products differ or maybe rollout a pan eurpean (or asian) CC, whatever can increase profitability.

Actually i think you need to a least consider it, but it might be that in the end the cost benefit analysis will imply that clarity and simplicity wins (over a bit more complicated solution that is harder to mange)

The outcome of the above cost-benefit analysis, will depend on a multitude of variables, one important one will be the growth ambition in other geographical regions such for example Europe or Asia.

Last edited by X-ON; Mar 31, 2017 at 3:07 am
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by X-ON
Ok the story pertaining to the missing activity in my account goes on ....have not heard back from SPG until today and I got a call on my cell from one CSR that I have dealt with on this issue since a week ago telling me that "The development team need more time ... so she would get back to me by next week" ... So apparently SPG are taking my request seriously and they are trying to retrieve the data or confirm that the data points are actually gone ...anyway time will tell ... the story goes on ...
To the few of you that might be interested;
Got another call from the same CSR agent as before trying to feed me some bs that the account now seems to be complete but at the same time saying that the development team need more time. How can it seem to be complete either it is or not. At the end I realized there have been nil progress so far. The same discrepancies as before, prior to 2003 incomplete debit and credit of the account. I beginning to think that the data points are forever gone or stuck away somewhere on a piece of paper.
Still wonder if I am a one off in this regard or if this is the case for the history for more than one account
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
While management can certainly tinker with new earnings and redemption criteria, Lifetime is Lifetime. Whether you come from the Starwood or Marriott side, if you were Lifetime Gold or Platinum at the time the merger was signed, you should remain Lifetime at that same level in the combined program.

To fiddle with who should and should not remain Lifetime of either program is a recipe for chaos, lawsuits and very unhappy customers.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
While management can certainly tinker with new earnings and redemption criteria, Lifetime is Lifetime. Whether you come from the Starwood or Marriott side, if you were Lifetime Gold or Platinum at the time the merger was signed, you should remain Lifetime at that same level in the combined program.

To fiddle with who should and should not remain Lifetime of either program is a recipe for chaos, lawsuits and very unhappy customers.
Absolutely agree. When you acquire a companies assets, you also acquire it's obligations.

At the very least, they could single out the acquired properties for Marriott Platinum privileges extending to SPG LTPs.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by bocastephen

Look, I'm totally onboard with your sentiment and logic. But this whole loyalty program lawsuit notion has recently been tested in the courts (check the UA forum for UA/CO merger-related legal excursions). Are there examples of where this has actually succeeded that I need to be made aware of?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Absolutely agree. When you acquire a companies assets, you also acquire it's obligations.

At the very least, they could single out the acquired properties for Marriott Platinum privileges extending to SPG LTPs.
In all fairness to Marriott, all their actions so far would not lead anyone to think that they are trying to undermine Lifetime status or tier for SPG members. In fact, SPG LT Golds and Platinums are automatically matched to MR Gold and Platinum status every year.

We will have to wait and see how this plays out going forward but I would not be surprised to see a new tier above Platinum or different sets of privileges/perks that new Platinum/Gold tiers receive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.