Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
It can take up to 7 business days from the day you qualified for your Lifetime Platinum status to be picked up by the system.

Starwood / Marriott merger
Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-will-happen-to-my-lifetime-status-when-the-programs-merge-together-in-the-future
Print Wikipost

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by nologic
How do you find out Marriott lifetime night stays to date?
From your Marriott account Overview page, click "Nights" (word below your ytd nights total). Will open to a pop up showing nights details including LT status, LT nights and LT points.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I really, really cannot see any reason why the integration team would waste more than a nanosecond worrying about the incompleteness of total-SPG-points-accumulated-for-the-purposes-of-lifetime-membership from well over decade ago when that data didn't matter, even back then.

Even if the system which stored this historic data could still be accessed and they could come up with a figure, most SPG members wouldn't be able to verify it. And for those members that have spreadsheeted everything, how would discrepancies and disputes be reconciled ?

IMHO, as an IT project, this is a complete waste of time and effort, so a non-starter and can be discounted as a method of integrating SPG lifetime into MR.

While they're doing their detective work, why don't they just follow the current fashion for revenue-based status and simply tot up the total combined MR and SPG spend and then award lifetime status in the merged program on that ?

Simple.
Fair point, however a minimum requirement for an auditable account is that your
account balance, i. e. the trajectory from the inception of the account should imply your current balance. Especially if you choose lifetime point accumulation as a variable to determine lifetime tier. Then a necessary but not sufficient requirement is that you should be able to trace said point accumulation for all members since the inception of the account. You could of course redefine lifetime as starting from where you have reliable observations, not very fair, but it certainly does the trick. Or you could drop it altogether as variable to determine lifetime tier... Which is what I would do, save money and potential discrunteld old time members like yours truly....

I agree that Lifetime dollars spent is fair metric, kind of like a dollar weighted night count... Maybe a combination of lifetime dollar and nights... Got to throw the RI and 4P road warriors a bone

Last edited by X-ON; Mar 20, 2017 at 10:04 am
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:24 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by X-ON
I agree that Lifetime dollars spent is fair metric
It's one way, but certainly not 'fair', as it favours members who have paid and stayed in high-price (typically 'first world') regions. Anyone based in an emerging economy could have spent a greater proportion of their income and have double the stays and nights and could still be worse off when it comes to lifetime.

Finding a fair equivalence between a US-centric program like MR with the more global SPG is going to be an interesting challenge.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Fair point, however a minimum requirement for an auditable account is that your
account balance, i. e. the trajectory from the inception of the account should imply your current balance.
You can only claim missing stays for 6 months, so any records older than that aren't really needed. After 6 months they can be deemed to be accurate.

I doubt frequent-stay points are subject to any federal/legal retention policies, so trying to argue it's an "auditable account", as if there's some Sarbox/HIPPA/etc requirement to go back to program inception isn't going to go very far.

Our company policy is to delete/destroy any records older than 2 years that don't have a retention requirement. Less discovery exposure, etc.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Yes, let's base how important a customer is to a company by an index-adjusted measure of spend capacity. SPG shouldn't give any discounts to IBM, with the world's largest travel expenditure, for the millions and millions spent at SPG each year. They should instead fawn over Joe and his 2-man copy shop that doesn't make a lot of money but had to go on the trips to a Four Points last year.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 12:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CPRich
Yes, let's base how important a customer is to a company by an index-adjusted measure of spend capacity. SPG shouldn't give any discounts to IBM, with the world's largest travel expenditure, for the millions and millions spent at SPG each year. They should instead fawn over Joe and his 2-man copy shop that doesn't make a lot of money but had to go on the trips to a Four Points last year.
Yes, you can always go to extremes, but somehow I don't think Joe and his 2-man copy shop with their six nights per year at Four Points is going to be advantaged over the IBM traveller with his 125 nights per year at Westin and Sheraton.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
You can only claim missing stays for 6 months, so any records older than that aren't really needed. After 6 months they can be deemed to be accurate.

I doubt frequent-stay points are subject to any federal/legal retention policies, so trying to argue it's an "auditable account", as if there's some Sarbox/HIPPA/etc requirement to go back to program inception isn't going to go very far.

Our company policy is to delete/destroy any records older than 2 years that don't have a retention requirement. Less discovery exposure, etc.
I think you misunderstood or I was unclear:

I was not making a legal argument; I simply mean that if you choose a certain variable to track lifetime nights a highly desired criterion is that said variable can be tracked on all the members’ accounts. If that’s not the case why choose it as lifetime tracking variable? Or as I mention redefine the concept of "lifetime". Obviously SPG manage to track nights pretty accurately

Lifetime nights pertains to accurate and already registered nights which by definition would stretch back more than 6 months , my concern was that these accurate and valid nights was not correctly reflected in the history in a subset of the accounts, due to legacy issues like change of account systems etc.

I am sure that data retention policy and regulation differ from industry to industry and I am pretty sure that in the hospitality industry those rules are not that strict as for instance for financial institutions like banks.

But now I am feeling like I am sliding off topic ...

Last edited by X-ON; Mar 21, 2017 at 4:10 am
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:16 am

Ok now its looking like the data points prior 2003 is effectively gone. For the third time they have sent me the incomplete master statement, it beginning to look like more and more as getting a complete lifetime point accumulation figure is impossible at least for my SPG account. If this is because some system deficiency or something that only pertains to my account for some reason I don't know. But I would be very surprised if they would use lifetime points accumulations as a tier determinant in MPG given the apparent state of the tracking of the account history. Life time nights seems to feasible to track though for some reason...
Ok the story pertaining to the missing activity in my account goes on ....have not heard back from SPG until today and I got a call on my cell from one CSR that I have dealt with on this issue since a week ago telling me that "The development team need more time ... so she would get back to me by next week" ... So apparently SPG are taking my request seriously and they are trying to retrieve the data or confirm that the data points are actually gone ...anyway time will tell ... the story goes on ...
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:03 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by uxb
If it makes you feel better, I didn't get a USB charger either. Then again, I didn't get that box of chocolates everyone and their mothers got when the merger closed. Let's just hope LT status translates on the Marriott side.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
My charger seems to have made it to Singapore, but due to all my travel, and inability to retrieve it, was sent back. Or was that the chocolates?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Canada101
Personally, I think what Marriott will have to do if and when they combine the program is retain "LT" status for both Marriott and Starwood LT members but I think they would likely have to map out different equivalent tiers since there are real differences in the thresholds.

LT MR Plat requires 750 nights and 2 million points.

LT SPG Plat requires 500 nights and 10 Plat years.

Both thresholds have their quirks 500 nights vs 750 nights is an obvious difference (with perhaps some minor quirks in how those nights were tallied).
True, but:
  • 2 million points is pretty easy to achieve, particularly given the credit cards, the higher number of points promos at Marriott, and the lower value of Marriott points.
  • By contrast, 10 years as PLT is pretty hard to get -- at a minimum, it means every SPG LTP has been a member for ten years (and most probably for 15 or more). A true road warrior spending 40 weeks a year in hotels, and putting that on the MR card, could achieve LTP in less than three years.
  • The MR credit card also makes a big difference in night counts. Someone who spends 30k a year on the SPG card for 5 years ends up with 25 nights from it; someone who spends that amount on the MR card ends up with 125.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Canada101
MR LT nights are displayed on marriott.com under Lifetime Status.
Which -- for those of you also having trouble finding it -- can be displayed by clicking on the word "Nights" under your YTD total.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
As posted in another thread:

Originally Posted by uxb
A slight update here on the topic of LT status. I spoke with my ambassador, and she told me that she and her colleagues have been informed that LT status will be grandfathered in to the successor programme.

How reliable is my ambassador? She's the only reason I continue feeding Starwood my business. Without her due diligence and razor-sharp ability to cut through a given individual property's BS, I would've moved on to Hyatt long ago.

What does this mean for you? If you're still on the bubble, then I strongly advise you to make status now, and not wait for any changes to be announced.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Originally Posted by dtremit
True, but:
  • 2 million points is pretty easy to achieve, particularly given the credit cards, the higher number of points promos at Marriott, and the lower value of Marriott points.
  • By contrast, 10 years as PLT is pretty hard to get -- at a minimum, it means every SPG LTP has been a member for ten years (and most probably for 15 or more). A true road warrior spending 40 weeks a year in hotels, and putting that on the MR card, could achieve LTP in less than three years.
  • The MR credit card also makes a big difference in night counts. Someone who spends 30k a year on the SPG card for 5 years ends up with 25 nights from it; someone who spends that amount on the MR card ends up with 125.
I agree with you 100%.

What I mean is that what we know today as the Platinum "tier" may not be what the tiers are in future. Just as Marriott has established the 3:1 MR:SPG points exchange rate, there will have to be some type of reconciliation and mapping that takes place that "equalize" tier status for both MR and SPG program members.

In addition to the very legitimate points you raise, I would think there is also the issue of the merging of MR and SPG LT stats which would, presumably, result in some members who have been only "somewhat" active in both programs, instantly hitting LT status when the LT stats (whatever they are and however they're defined) are added together. How would they manage and continue to incentivize those members who instantaneously become LT Silver Elite and so on? It would seem to me that one potential solution is "the next big thing" or the creation of another aspirational tier that exceeds the current LT Plat level? Perhaps?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by dtremit
True, but:
Agree 100% with the above statements.
One comment though; one thing that MR and SPG have in common is that it is very focused on the NA market, in the sense that if you are located in these market you have much more non-hotel related points/nights earning possibilities via credit cards etc.
Historically speaking this made perfect sense of course, however with the ambition to grow the business in Europe and Asia I think that it would be a desirable feature if MPG could be made more location neutral.

How to achieve this?
One way could be to relate tiers (lifetime and otherwise) to where you are located, many airlines used to do this.
This is of course not without problem since it can be abused.
I remember when you got *alliance Gold with SK if you had a Norwegian address with 25K miles (or something similar) of course I put my friends address (which was working in OSL) and fast track to *alliance Gold... No system is perfect...but SK I guess managed to attract more Norwegian business...
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:26 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by yosithezet
My charger seems to have made it to Singapore, but due to all my travel, and inability to retrieve it, was sent back. Or was that the chocolates?
That's sad.

Originally Posted by margarita girl
As posted in another thread:
Thanks for the re-post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.