Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
It can take up to 7 business days from the day you qualified for your Lifetime Platinum status to be picked up by the system.

Starwood / Marriott merger
Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-will-happen-to-my-lifetime-status-when-the-programs-merge-together-in-the-future
Print Wikipost

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Medved
Nice lobster and nice shoes, BTW. I had none of it when qualified back in 2012 at Westin Diplomat. Except the upgrade to the similar size suite with the ocean view and two balconies. : But that had nothing to do with reaching LTP, just a regular generous upgrade at that long gone old friend...
Don't feel so bad. I didn't get much either on March 1, 2012 (since I had already long-passed the LTP requirements, so was auto-LTP on day one). And this was at the ever-exciting Sheraton inside Terminal 3 of YYZ The GM did say hello and introduce herself to me in the Club Lounge, which was nice. She also left me a welcome card with written congratulations on me being their first LTP guest, and a small gift, but I forgot what it was and it was nothing like what others have reported getting here, including supatight80, but I suspect a lot of it was due to his ambassador (?)... but then again, Newfoundlanders are known to be very hospitable and welcoming, so probably all of the above.

I did, however, in celebration of my 1,500th SPG night, get a bottle of one of my favorite Scotches (Laphroaig), chocolate covered strawberries, a fruit basket, chocolate bars, and a 1L bottle of Perrier at the Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
In case you haven't checked lately, they updated the language out at https://members.marriott.com/benefits/

NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019). In addition, members that achieve Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum under the legacy requirements by year end will also be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status. And, don’t forget that we’ll combine Lifetime activity across both Rewards and SPG toward qualification when members combine accounts in August. Beginning in 2019, qualification into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status will not be available. See FAQs for details.
So if you want to get into LTPPE status, you have until 12/31 to do so. There will not be an opportunity to do so after (unless they further change the program). Also, the combined nights and years at platinum will be used. My ambassador suggested I verify with Marriott that they would count my 2 years of Platinum from several years ago in addition to the 9 I have with SPG. They told me yes. The other option was to race out and get 75 MR nights by year end to "double qualify" in both programs this calendar year which I didn't really want to have to do.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
So they tweaked the language, but still nothing published about past years of MR Gold counting as Platinum for these legacy requrements

Buyer beware...
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
So they tweaked the language, but still nothing published about past years of MR Gold counting as Platinum for these legacy requrements

Buyer beware...
See B10 in the WIKI in the Official Announcement thread.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Currently, when does the "Platinum Years" tracker increment (with respect to lifetime status qualification)? Is it around the date that the Platinum status is earned each year, is it at the end of the calendar (or elite) year, or some other arbitrary date?

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
It updates a few days after you qualify for the status.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by spgplat21
It updates a few days after you qualify for the status.
Great. Thanks, spgplat21, for the reply!

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 23, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

Buyer beware...
Seems pretty clear to me:

https://members.marriott.com/faq/#ho...nd-rcr-members

Q: How are years at tenure calculated for legacy MR and RCR members?

A: We are keeping members “whole” in the applicable night tier in which they earned their Elite status.

Example: If a member has 4 years of Elite status at the 50 night level (Gold Elite status) they will be counted in August and beyond as 4 years at the new 50 night level (Platinum Elite status). Only the names of the levels are changing. How we account for tenure is not changing.
I don't see anything to support the notion that some have that for some unknown reason they will calculate years at tenure differently for LTPP than for all other LT statuses.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GoPhils
Seems pretty clear to me:

https://members.marriott.com/faq/#ho...nd-rcr-members

I don't see anything to support the notion that some have that for some unknown reason they will calculate years at tenure differently for LTPP than for all other LT statuses.
Did you realize you were quoting a post of mine from three weeks ago, and there have been some significant developments since then?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
In July I hit the big one...
25 stays this year on a Monday.
The Tuesday it recognised Platinum for next year.
The Thursday it recognised Lifetime Platinum.
It then asked me for my address to confirm my metal card... Which "would take 12-16 weeks to process".
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:27 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by shuuy
In July I hit the big one...
25 stays this year on a Monday.
The Tuesday it recognised Platinum for next year.
The Thursday it recognised Lifetime Platinum.
It then asked me for my address to confirm my metal card... Which "would take 12-16 weeks to process".
Congratulations on attaining LTP. I might ask a Lurker for assistance. Somehow, I don't think those cards are going to be pressed after 31 July.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:49 am

I got an email asking me to verify shipping address for the metal LTP card in March. The email got deleted and I asked my Ambassador for help in May - here's the reply:

-----
In preparation for the launch of one loyalty program in August, we will no longer be mailing out new membership kits or replacement cards since May 1, 2018. This means we will not be mailing out any new membership kits or replacement cards at this time. This includes Lifetime Platinum Kits. Nonetheless, below are the alternative you can take in place of a physical card.
  • You can download the SPG App, providing access to your membership card, along with being able to book hotels and track Starpoints.
  • You can go to SPG.com/mycard and design your own card that you can print, should you want a physical card.
However, I can still try to write in to the relevant team to check if they are still able to issue the physical card for you but this cannot be guaranteed.

THEN 2nd email:

Just a quick update on the Lifetime Platinum Kit, regrettably, the team is unable to get a kit to be shipped to you. This is because of the current stoppage and inventory on hand. You may want consider the alternative that I have suggested below.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Checked in at aloft last night and was greeted as Lifetime Platinum. I’m only lifeline gold but my combined MR and SPG is well above 750 nights and over 10 years Plat. Maybe the data have been merged/combined already?!?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by BlindPilot
Checked in at aloft last night and was greeted as Lifetime Platinum. I’m only lifeline gold but my combined MR and SPG is well above 750 nights and over 10 years Plat. Maybe the data have been merged/combined already?!?
Unfortunately we don't get a lot of input from people working the other side of the desk and how this merger is impacting their operations. It is possible the in-house systems are providing merged data regardless of what we see in our accounts. So far they have not set the date when we can start to merge our accounts. Nor have they specified exactly what that will trigger. I'm sure the postings here will explode once they do.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
How to count lifetime nights and elite years?

Please forgive me if these questions have been asked and answered. I've searched and browsed this and other threads and can't find the answers:

1) On my SPG page (both spg.com and "dashboard") my lifetime nights are listed at 122. I believe my actual number is a lot higher, but apparently my records before 2003 are lost forever, possibly because of one or more deactivations and reactivations. But I'd be happy to settle for 122, because together with my 481 Marriott Rewards lifetime nights they will barely reach the 600-night component for Lifetime Platinum in the combined program. But some of these nights appear to have been acquired through the SPG Amex credit card, and others may have been acquired through double- or triple-night bonuses years ago, and I seem to recall reading some suggestions in an FT thread (which I can't find any more) that anything other than body-on-mattress nights would be subtracted from the SPG lifetime total when accounts are combined. Is there a definitive answer to this question? That is, can I count on the 122 lifetime nights that my SPG page and dashboard are telling me, or are some of these nights likely to be subtracted?

2) The lifetime status tracker on my SPG dashboard tells me I have 7 lifetime years of elite status, but it doesn't tell me how many of these are Platinum. I think the number is two or three, which combined with my MR Gold/Platinum years might qualify me for lifetime Platinum as soon as the programs are combined. Is there any way to tell? (I called SPG and talked to a couple of customer service representatives who said they couldn't tell.)

3) Part of the answer to (2) will depend on how elite years are calculated for lifetime purposes. I had assumed that if I qualified in, say, July 2007 and was therefore Platinum for 2007 and 2008 that would count as two years. But both MR and SPG representatives, without actually being able to tell me my numbers, have told me that it's basically the number of days in status divided by 365. In other words, in the above scenario if my status lasted from 7/1/2007 until 2/28/2009 it would count as approximately a year and eight months toward lifetime total, not two years. Is this correct?

Thanks so much for any information you might be able to share.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.