Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
It can take up to 7 business days from the day you qualified for your Lifetime Platinum status to be picked up by the system.

Starwood / Marriott merger
Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-will-happen-to-my-lifetime-status-when-the-programs-merge-together-in-the-future
Print Wikipost

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:48 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
To be honest if Marriott wanted to be fair they'd allow everyone who has over 750 nights/2MM points to get grandfathered in based on combined numbers in the new program before year end 2018 (i.e. SPG+MR nights, points). That would put to bed all the claims of it not being fair and recognise both loyalty in SPG and MR whilst keeping it limited in time.
SF1K, X-ON, RogerD408 and 7 others like this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by SPGSerenityNow
Does this mean that if I do 50+ nights in both SPG hotels and Marriott this year I will be credited with 2 year of elite status and that would put me at 10 years of elite?
The criteria for MR Platinum is 75 nights. If you have 50 SPG nights (or 25 stays) and 75 MR nights, you will earn 2 "years at Platinum" credit for the new program criteria.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Travelosopher
I agree completely. I'm SPG LTP, and I've been shifting some of my stays lately to Marriott branded hotels when it has made sense for me, assuming that all of my nights would eventually count equally in the combined program. Now I'm not so sure if that is the case......
All of your nights will indeed count in the combined program, but as you'll already match to LTP in the merge, they won't change anything. They won't retroactively count though.

Unfortunately, this is the result of making an assumption. Advice to stick with current rules until new ones are announced was widely discussed/advised here.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tommys888
So if I understand correctly, the new loyalty program requires that you get 10 years platinum (in either program) or above and nights of more than 750 nights (combined) to be qualified as LTPP?
You do not understand correctly.

The new program requires 10 years combined at Platinum and 600 combined nights to qualify as LT Platinum.

The new program has no Lifetime Platinum Premier criteria.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stc
So, I'm currently Plat in Marriott (with about 100 nights last year) and Lifetime Platinum in Starwood. At the time of the merger (certainly by Dec), I will have about 1500 nights combined in the two programs (900 marriott, 600 starwood) but I will have no where near enough points (400k-500k short) to qualify for Lifetime Platinum in Marriott. Is there any way I can fix this to achieve Lifetime Platinum Premier?
Combined nights and MR points isn't a threshold/criteria for anything.

To reach LTPP, you need to combine your 900 Marriott nights with 2M Marriott points. As linked above, there are ongoing discussions among those in the same situation on how you may be able to get to 2M. 400K is quite a gap.

Unfortunately, you also don't meet the "750 nights and 667K SPG points" equivalent that is being requested.

As is, you will be matched to LT PLT.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GVA
To be honest if Marriott wanted to be fair they'd allow everyone who has over 750 nights/2MM points to get grandfathered in based on combined numbers in the new program before year end 2018 (i.e. SPG+MR nights, points). That would put to bed all the claims of it not being fair and recognise both loyalty in SPG and MR whilst keeping it limited in time.
I disagree. Integrating a different program at the same criteria is greatly lowering the bar.

I'd prefer 750/2M equivalent in either individual legacy program or 1000/1200-ish and 3M combined.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: SPG LTP, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, IHGPlat, RadGold, Marriott Plat, BW Diamond
I fully understand the newly announced criteria for SPG LTP becoming MR LTP, and for MR LTP becoming MR LTPP, but I do not have to agree with it. In my post, I was simply commiserating with a like-minded poster. As an SPG LTP, I do not feel my that my lifetime loyalty nor my recent stays (at both Starwood and Marriott) are being fairly and equally treated as compared with treatment of MR LTP. During the transitional period, I felt that Marriott did a good job of honoring my loyalty, but the permanent changes to the program going forward make me feel like a less-valued customer.

Last edited by Travelosopher; Apr 23, 2018 at 10:38 am Reason: Typo
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:05 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
I got my master statement. It went all the way back to 2005. Quite amazing. The total nights were higher than what is shown on my Lifetime nights (but still not exceed 700). The amazing thing is points earned over 3 million..... I am probably in my 12th year as Platinum. But in 2005... wow... That was taking a girl in university to "spring break" in..... Edmonton (what an idiot I was - should have gotten the wild side to California or Florida with white friends) with a comped SPG Gold by AMEX. Memories....

My point I want to make is... Those with 10 years Platinum is extremely unlikely to miss the 2 million Marriott point equivalent (ie 666,666 SPG points earnings). Given I am only 1/3 of this year's 50 nights. Technically, if they are pulling the 750 night for SPG to get the Platinum Premier Ellite, I could do a mattress run of extra 30-40 nights this year to make the cut.... But then again, we'll see if they announce anything and then see if this en-devour is worth it or not.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:01 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by yeunganson
I think for all of us here that made it to SPG Lifetime Plat and have a SPG credit card, it's very likely we would have earned 2 mil equivalent of Marriott points (ie 666,667 SPG points). That's min 10 years of SPG card spending, min 500 nights of earnings.
I would caution against assuming that most SPG Lifetimers will have earned 666,667 SPG points. With a ‘Points per $ spend’ regime, and without inflation indexing, a simple points total is prejudicial against those who earned the majority of their points, say, 10-15 years ago, when you got significantly fewer points per night than you do now. Those same people who are, arguably, SPGs most loyal customers.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Apr 23, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I would caution against assuming that most SPG Lifetimers will have earned 666,667 SPG points. With a ‘Points per $ spend’ regime, and without inflation indexing, a simple points total is prejudicial against those who earned the majority of their points, say, 10-15 years ago, when you got significantly fewer points per night than you do now. Those same people who are, arguably, SPGs most loyal customers.
My master statement shows over 1 million SPG points since Jan 2003. Noise deducted.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:02 pm

I hope they fix this. I have 890/518 nights SPG/MR with a few more of each this week. Almost 3.0M SPG points and 1.2M MR points. So this converts to 10.1M combined points (using 1:3 for SPG points) and over 1,400 combined nights. And yet I don’t meet the same criteria that someone with 750 nights (just over half of mine) and 2.0M points (less than 20% of mine). Let’s hope they figure it out.... it appears that some have heard this, but nothing official....
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by CPRich
I disagree. Integrating a different program at the same criteria is greatly lowering the bar. I'd prefer 750/2M equivalent in either individual legacy program or 1000/1200-ish and 3M combined.
Agreed. Combining from two programs and keeping the bar in the same spot makes qualifying too easy. As long as they don't cheapen to the extent of allowing sub-750 nights into LTPP, then I think it will be fine.

Originally Posted by stc
...I will have no where near enough points (400k-500k short) to qualify for Lifetime Platinum in Marriott. Is there any way I can fix this to achieve Lifetime Platinum Premier?
Buy 50K MR
Get additional MR CC sign up bonuses (if eligible for some of the branded cards)
Do some manufactured spending on the CCs
Maximize megabonus and points with some stays
Convert points from other programs, as you mentioned
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by mooper
Agreed. Combining from two programs and keeping the bar in the same spot makes qualifying too easy. As long as they don't cheapen to the extent of allowing sub-750 nights into LTPP, then I think it will be fine.
Respectfully disagree. Both SPG and MR legacy LTP were difficult to earn for different reasons. SPG required 10 years of platinum status and 500 nights, most of which were true room nights. MR required 750 nights, some of which was a bit easier to attain through credit card, etc., but also required 2MM points accrued.

Achieving LTP was not easy in either program, and both groups have demonstrated loyalty that should be celebrated, and sought to retain.

By your same argument, it would "cheapen" LTPP just as much to allow in a sub 10-year platinum (from the SPG legacy perspective) as it should to allow in a sub 750-night (from the MR legacy perspective).

Both groups were promised that their legacy LT achievements would be honored, and folks have been traveling and staying between MR/SPG platforms for the past few years under the presumption that all would be treated fairly upon program merge.

The fairest thing to do is to allow both sides' LTP into the new top grandfathered tier. I'd much rather have an ever-so-slightly higher number of folks in the top grandfathered tier, but know well that all of us are in the same boat and looking out for the best interests of our new combined company and program.

Doing so will have no noticeable impact on the experience of a legacy MR LTP, and please put yourself in the shoes of your counterparts on the SPG side who have acted in good faith for well over a decade to support their company and program, and are simply looking for their promised fair shake in the new scheme.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by mooper
Why? It's not like you would likely be earning in both programs on the same nights (except if using your MR CC to pay for SPG nights and the such). If making the 750 nights in MR and other criteria garners LTP, then the same in both should also step you over the line. But of course, I fall into that category so I have a biased view.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
I'm going to make LTP after my stay the next three nights at the Azor Hotel. I'm guessing a Design hotel isn't going to acknowledge it. Maybe the Sheraton Lisbon will for my 501st and 502nd nights. Finally made it after all these years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.